Explore GameReplays...

League of Legends

A masters league is going to be introduced and Challenger altered

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1ThaREM Aug 12 2014, 12:18 PM
AS ONE OF THE BEST LEAGUE OF LEGENDS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD…

Your spot in Diamond 1 or Challenger tier means we wanted you to be among the first to know we’ve updated the design of our ranked play system specifically to address feedback around the end of Season 3 and Challenger.

We take ranked competition seriously, and we know challenger immunity caused issues with transparency around standings at the end of last season. Not knowing whether or not you were about to get kicked out of the tier you’d worked so hard to reach, or earning 0 LP three times in a row sucks.

So we’ve developed a new way to challenge your skills, the Master Tier, which brings with it some improvements to the old system. Master Tier will share the same LP ladder as Challenger, but unlike Challenger, there is no hard player limit to Master Tier. Once released, players who reach their promotion series at the top of Diamond 1 will enter Master Tier if they are successful. And yes, that means that on release there will be no players in Master Tier, but it will begin to fill as soon as players start winning their promos.

When Master Tier launches, players in Challenger will remain in their current position, but the competition kicks off right away as Challenger will now rotate on a twenty-four hour schedule with no immunity.

Each time the clock hits zero, it will recalculate the top 200 players or 50 teams; promoting any players from Master who are now in the top 200 or teams in the top 50 in LP, and removing players who have fallen below the top 200 and demoting them to Master.

We’ll be making a wider announcement in the coming weeks (for example, we’ve also eliminated LP clamping) along with more about the end of the season, but as one of the players most impacted by this change, we wanted to reach out to you directly.

Thanks for playing ranked, and GLHF for the rest of the 2014 season,

Riot Socrates

(I got this in email btw so apparently it is not announced to general public yet)

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 2Crabby Lobster Aug 13 2014, 16:12 PM
So instead of diamond 1 50 LP being the cut off to determine whether or not you're a noob, it will now be masters and challengers are the only nonnoobs. I guess it looks good to me, though I don't know anything about it from experience, sadly.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 3Askarian Aug 13 2014, 17:16 PM
Wait where do i know this from?
.... ah yes right Sc2.
If they also introduce the grandmaster leauge one beautiful morning, in that case the copy would be perfect.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 4ThaREM Aug 13 2014, 22:47 PM
LoL ranked started before sc2 was even released so if anything sc2 copied bronze/silver/gold/plat league system from LOL

+
# 5Crabby Lobster Aug 14 2014, 01:58 AM
LoL still had the numbered ELO system at the time SC2 was released iirc. LoL pretty much did copy SC2's system. In fact, I think I remember people responding to a newspost about Riot's league system saying stuff like "So, basically, like SC2."

+
# 6ThaREM Aug 14 2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah it was ELO but ELOs were corresponding to bronze/silver/gold rating werent they?

+
# 7Askarian Aug 14 2014, 10:45 AM
The LoL ladder was totally different at first. Besides that, even Sc1 had the excat same ranking system already.
And with their "new" league its totally obvious where they got the idea...

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 8Crabby Lobster Aug 14 2014, 19:30 PM
QUOTE(ThaREM @ Aug 14 2014, 05:40 AM) *

Yeah it was ELO but ELOs were corresponding to bronze/silver/gold rating werent they?

Yes, but switching to divisions was a pretty major change. Promo games and divisions were ideas taken from SC2.

QUOTE(Askarian @ Aug 14 2014, 05:45 AM) *

The LoL ladder was totally different at first. Besides that, even Sc1 had the excat same ranking system already.
And with their "new" league its totally obvious where they got the idea...

However, SC2 actually stole their system from tournament chess, or so I've read.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)