Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

About Connection Issue (for example "Connection...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1ViperMkVII Dec 20 2014, 21:48 PM
It seems like the connection issues of the C&C: Online server affected the Xmas tournament too...
(for example, GBHMichael wasn't able to connect to anyone in the first matches.....)

We know that Revora team is working on it, but we know that it needs time too...

So before they fix it, there are some solutions which you can try them when you see that your conn fails....

Solution 1. Find your game's Options.ini, which can be found by typing %appdata% in the Windows search bar and opening the game's folder there.
Or typing manually this:
Spoiler
  • Windows 7/8: C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Red Alert 3\Profiles\(Profilename)
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(UserName)\Application Data\Red Alert 3\Profiles\(Profilename)

Then open Options.ini and remove the following line:
FirewallPortOverride = (some numbers)
Finally save Options.ini and set it to read only (right click > properties).

This will work on about 80% of the connection failed cases.

Solution 2: If the Solution 1 doens't work, try opening your DMZ in your router settings.

Solution 3: If Solution 2 worked, but it worked only for few hours and then you fail to connect again (This happens to me sad.gif ), you need to disable DMZ, then enable it again, and restart your LAN connection.

I hope these solutions can help you.....

(Actually these solutions was posted many times in C&C: Online support forum, but it seems like that there aren't many players who have read those solutions....)

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 2{DO}-LiquidOCELOT Dec 20 2014, 23:27 PM
Gbh micahel cost the community 3 rounds and wasted tons of time, first vs minnion, then vs goldy, he was flipped to coined 2 times in a row, third time sybert had to come from his busy schedule not casting important games but just to help the community he choose our game to help gbh which was all in good spirit, but this really was very unfair from gbh he really destroyed the spirits of the game and wasted so much valuable time, i wish i was also flipped out of the tournament. I got a very busy schedule and a very very hectic job i dont even have any holidays i am like a shop keeper, there should be a rule for next time for incidents like these and i am really sorry if i see gbh same issue again i will just forfeit cause time is more important to me than any thing!.

Clan: DiVerSiTy

+
# 3GBHmichael Dec 20 2014, 23:47 PM
QUOTE({DO}-LiquidOCELOT @ Dec 20 2014, 23:27 PM) *

Gbh micahel cost the community 3 rounds and wasted tons of time, first vs minnion, then vs goldy, he was flipped to coined 2 times in a row, third time sybert had to come from his busy schedule not casting important games but just to help the community he choose our game to help gbh which was all in good spirit, but this really was very unfair from gbh he really destroyed the spirits of the game and wasted so much valuable time, i wish i was also flipped out of the tournament. I got a very busy schedule and a very very hectic job i dont even have any holidays i am like a shop keeper, there should be a rule for next time for incidents like these and i am really sorry if i see gbh same issue again i will just forfeit cause time is more important to me than any thing!.

Love you too AntiDarwin <3!

And DMZ did work for me but I really do not want to be using it. But that just suggests it's a port issue. For a long time I could connect to practically everyone on revora, but something must have changed and suddenly it's very temperamental again. It may have something to do with whatever changes were made in the recent update?

+
# 4ViperMkVII Dec 21 2014, 00:01 AM
QUOTE(GBHmichael @ Dec 21 2014, 01:47 AM) *

Love you too AntiDarwin <3!

And DMZ did work for me but I really do not want to be using it. But that just suggests it's a port issue. For a long time I could connect to practically everyone on revora, but something must have changed and suddenly it's very temperamental again. It may have something to do with whatever changes were made in the recent update?

Actually I think setting your PC as DMZ won't affect to the other users of your network.
A DMZ is a zone which is separated from the rest of the network, so there wouldn't be any interactions between your PC and other users' devices (Unless other users need to connect to your PC, for example use your Printer through LAN).

+
# 5yzzd-xrdh Dec 21 2014, 00:14 AM
Yes...it camecause I couldn't join this activity ...I feel very terrible and sad ...

+
# 6Commissioner Sybert Dec 21 2014, 04:22 AM
It would be one thing if Michael was intentionally doing any of this, but it's very clear he wasn't. He, as much as anyone, would have preferred that the games he played were not decided by a coin flip or that they delayed other matches. In this case, coin flipping was the best option, and I fully stand by our decision to do that.
If there was some indicator that it was wholly Michael's fault and no one else that would be one thing, but we don't know that. For example if I can consistently connect to Michael through C&C: Online, which we have in the past, but someone else can't that doesn't mean the fault is entirely with Michael. It is likely the connection between specific players and not entirely the fault of either. It's hard to say for sure what causes the myriad of connection issues, because if we knew that then we could have specific steps for people to follow or configurations that people should avoid. We do not. Is it Michael's modem or router? Maybe, we don't know for sure.
We also cannot see the future so there was no way to know that it was going to lead from one coin flip into another. In the future Michael will probably have to place his computer in the DMZ before tournaments to avoid issues.
Viper, thank you for posting this additional information so people don't have to search for it on Revora.

+
# 7Sheriff AA Dec 21 2014, 04:48 AM
QUOTE({DO}-LiquidOCELOT @ Dec 20 2014, 19:27 PM) *

Funny that you of all people would accuse someone else of ruining a tournament. Everyone knows Michael is a fair player, has contributed loads to the RA3 community, and would never do something like this on purpose.

This post has been edited by Sheriff AA: Dec 21 2014, 04:52 AM

Clan: m8s

+
# 8ViperMkVII Dec 21 2014, 11:53 AM
QUOTE(Commissioner Sybert @ Dec 21 2014, 06:22 AM) *

Viper, thank you for posting this additional information so people don't have to search for it on Revora.

You're welcome :D

It would be one thing if Michael was intentionally doing any of this, but it's very clear he wasn't. He, as much as anyone, would have preferred that the games he played were not decided by a coin flip or that they delayed other matches.

Yes, plus I think GBH didn't even know that RaGe would have used coin flip to decide, so for him there isn't any reason to do that intentionally.

In this case, coin flipping was the best option, and I fully stand by our decision to do that.

But I think we have other alternatives before using coin flip.....
If I'm not wrong, in the most of cases a failed conn is caused by NAT issue, which stands for "Network Address Translation".
Because it's necessary to translate a local IP address to an Public IP address. Usually this problem can be solved by opening some port.
Modifying Options.ini would have modified a port, and setting a PC as DMZ zone would have opened all its ports.

I discovered that usually in a LAN emulator (like Garena, GameRanger, Chinese RA3 server etc.) there won't be any connection issues, because all players are inside a LAN emulated by it, so all players are using local IP addresses and there isn't any necessity to translate them into public addresses or vice versa.

So, if next time there are players who can't connect each other, and the solutions I've post in this topic doesn't work for them, I think we can suggest them to play on a LAN emulator,
and use coin flip only when they refused to play on it, or when a emulator can't help them neither....

This post has been edited by ViperMkVII: Dec 21 2014, 12:06 PM

+
# 9GBHmichael Dec 21 2014, 13:23 PM
QUOTE(ViperMkVII @ Dec 21 2014, 11:53 AM) *

You're welcome biggrin.gif
Yes, plus I think GBH didn't even know that RaGe would have used coin flip to decide, so for him there isn't any reason to do that intentionally.
But I think we have other alternatives before using coin flip.....
If I'm not wrong, in the most of cases a failed conn is caused by NAT issue, which stands for "Network Address Translation".
Because it's necessary to translate a local IP address to an Public IP address. Usually this problem can be solved by opening some port.
Modifying Options.ini would have modified a port, and setting a PC as DMZ zone would have opened all its ports.

I discovered that usually in a LAN emulator (like Garena, GameRanger, Chinese RA3 server etc.) there won't be any connection issues, because all players are inside a LAN emulated by it, so all players are using local IP addresses and there isn't any necessity to translate them into public addresses or vice versa.

So, if next time there are players who can't connect each other, and the solutions I've post in this topic doesn't work for them, I think we can suggest them to play on a LAN emulator,
and use coin flip only when they refused to play on it, or when a emulator can't help them neither....

Well I suggested playing on Haofang to Goldy, but he didn't want to go down that route. It may be something to consider for next time.

+
# 10ViperMkVII Dec 21 2014, 13:34 PM
QUOTE(GBHmichael @ Dec 21 2014, 15:23 PM) *

Well I suggested playing on Haofang to Goldy, but he didn't want to go down that route. It may be something to consider for next time.

Probably he refused because HaoFang is completely in Chinese so probably it's difficult to use for Goldy, but there are other alternatives too..

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)