Explore GameReplays...

Kanes Wrath

Alternatives to the Official Online Hosting

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1ToxicShock Apr 14 2014, 12:36 PM
Commanders, please give your input on the various solutions that are presently available as a substitute for the official online hosting. See here;

Discuss here please.

Clan: Mates First

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 2Squaggle Apr 14 2014, 19:39 PM
I really like the sound of Evolve, I would be interested to try it - anything to play the games I love without having to go anywhere near GameRanger.

Clan: Casters & Co.

Game: Forged Battalion

+
# 3IISpartacus Apr 14 2014, 19:52 PM
I've heard rumors of issues with compatibility of Gameranger and Origin. Any input on this?

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 4Technique Apr 14 2014, 20:24 PM
So it's sure gamespy for kw is gonna go down then?

+
# 5ToxicShock Apr 14 2014, 21:13 PM
QUOTE(IISpartacus @ Apr 14 2014, 19:52 PM) *

I've heard rumors of issues with compatibility of Gameranger and Origin. Any input on this?

I have not experienced a problem myself. It is possible to specify explicitly which executable GameRanger uses to launch the game. I would like to know more about any problems that people have been having so we can look at them sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 14 2014, 20:24 PM) *

We have no reason to think that it will not go down. In my opinion, it will go down.

+
# 6DJ_Chill Apr 14 2014, 22:51 PM
QUOTE(ToxicShock @ Apr 14 2014, 21:13 PM) *

We have no reason to think that it will not go down. In my opinion, it will go down.

I'd agree here.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 7Aoenian Apr 15 2014, 01:28 AM
QUOTE(IISpartacus @ Apr 14 2014, 21:52 PM) *

It works to fix.

QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 14 2014, 22:24 PM) *

Gamespy said this long time ago. ALL supported games.

+
# 8TRIberiumX Apr 15 2014, 01:45 AM
QUOTE(IISpartacus @ Apr 15 2014, 03:52 AM) *

Yes there will be compatibility issues if you're running KW/TW on Origin.
If you are running them on Steam, there should be no issues.

I think this means that Origin-buyers should get their money refunded =P

Game: None

+
# 9Technique Apr 15 2014, 07:30 AM
Well then the game is just done.

Alternative servers don't work, only thing possible is a new server and let the game automatically redirect to it... like xwis from ra2.

+
# 10ToxicShock Apr 15 2014, 07:37 AM
QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 15 2014, 07:30 AM) *

Well then the game is just done.

Alternative servers don't work, only thing possible is a new server and let the game automatically redirect to it... like xwis from ra2.

Done? No way.

New server? I really doubt that we will see a new system to replace the online as we know it, as the KW set up (like CCG, ZH, TW and RA3, which all run on the same system/hardware) is much more complicated (as I understand it) than the Westwood system used to run RA2. I am certain enough that we will not see such a replacement before the current system goes off line.

+
# 11Tomber Apr 15 2014, 07:54 AM
Maybe it's finally Kane's Wrath funerals ;_;

Game: None

+
# 12Guidojuicehead Apr 15 2014, 08:44 AM
QUOTE(ToxicShock @ Apr 14 2014, 12:36 PM) *

Commanders, please give your input on the various solutions that are presently available as a substitute for the official online hosting. See here;

Discuss here please.

So what happens now? once you decide on a new server what do we all need to do to play cnc as normal on June 1st? will there be a subscription? fee? do we need to install anything new?

I think the clearer and easier it is to get this up and running the more people will bother to do it. Numbers online are low as it is so I feel this needs to be as simple a transition as possible to keep people playing.

+
# 13Technique Apr 15 2014, 09:38 AM
QUOTE(ToxicShock @ Apr 15 2014, 09:37 AM) *

Done? No way.

Well for me it will be.
Not gonna play on gameranger where you need to pay to make a unique nickname.

And things like hamachi are ok for a tournament, but beyond that?

So yeah, lets make May a good last month for cnc. smile.gif

+
# 14ToxicShock Apr 15 2014, 10:53 AM
QUOTE(Guidojuicehead @ Apr 15 2014, 08:44 AM) *

So what happens now? once you decide on a new server what do we all need to do to play cnc as normal on June 1st? will there be a subscription? fee? do we need to install anything new?

I think the clearer and easier it is to get this up and running the more people will bother to do it. Numbers online are low as it is so I feel this needs to be as simple a transition as possible to keep people playing.

There is a free version of all of the solutions I mentioned in the article. GameRanger is probably the easiest install (it is easy). I am going to start announcing about the shut down in game soon, once we have had a bit more input in here, to try to keep everyone together.

QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 15 2014, 09:38 AM) *

Well for me it will be.

So yeah, lets make May a good last month for cnc. smile.gif

Can you at least try to play on GameRanger? Is your nick being unique important to you? Your GameRanger ID will be unique. I am really suggesting GameRanger as a sanctuary until we find something better for the whole community. I would urge you to look at the other solutions too, they are far more civilised than Hamachi.

But yeah. Let's make May a good month, whether it is the last month or not.

+
# 15Plokite_Wolf Apr 15 2014, 12:32 PM
QUOTE(IISpartacus @ Apr 14 2014, 21:52 PM) *

Do people use Bibber's TUC launcher fix before they say that?

QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 15 2014, 11:38 AM) *

You can change your nickname at any time. I did so once. You only pay for getting rid of ads (which you can easily ignore) and a bolded/grayed/shadowed nick in the lobby.

QUOTE(Technique @ Apr 15 2014, 11:38 AM) *

In theory yes, but in practice no. Hamachi is too bugged and inconvenient. Tunngle and Evolve seem like good solutions for that, though.

+
# 16Maze. Apr 15 2014, 13:21 PM
I use tunngle it's awesome. Not using it for KW obviously, but there are some actual people playing there, and it's the same as online only with one lobby and you can edit your nickname to anything instantly.

Clan: Exceptionally Skilled

+
# 17Jonnydread Apr 15 2014, 15:27 PM
Nice, that means i can finally deinstall Origin and won't be harassed by this shitty DRM-Software anymore.

+
# 18ToxicShock Apr 15 2014, 15:48 PM
UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that, contrary to what I said initially, Evolve does add a virtual network driver. I am yet to notice any impact from that as yet.

+
# 19IRON_ELITE Apr 15 2014, 19:57 PM
calm down guys not everything is lost EA said is working on finding a transition for some game of EA continue working after the day may 31
so i don´t believe EA let the c&c games die they are claiming to revive the series if they let c&c games down its EA end.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/10/ea-t...gamespy-servers

+
# 20Plokite_Wolf Apr 15 2014, 19:59 PM
I'd stress the "some", meaning milking cows like Battlefield will be saved mostly dry.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)