Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Arnor... Plz

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1lochness Aug 19 2015, 23:25 PM
Could we try to do it Plz!!! I have been thinking of ways of adding Arnor without it being too much of a balance issue for possibly a patch in the future...
Structures: All the same as MOTW except with Arnor skins and barracks having Mithlond Sentries (without forged blades and heavy armour) instead of Rohan Spearmen and Lv 2 Stables having Llindons instead of Rohirrim.
Everything else can be the same as normal MOTW (no elven structures) for example tower guards on lv 2 barrack, black smith giving upgrades to arnor ect.
Mini heros: Ether KODA lv 3 stables or Noldor lv 3 barracks.
Heroes: Would really be the only issue Arveleg, Arvedui and Earnur all have the same skin so you just use one of them and make function like Aragon probably Earnur coz he is already most functional or Arcedui coz he has the Palinteer smash animation which could be used like a word of power move he gets on lv 10! Carthaen make like brand or Farimir, Argeleb would need a little brainstorming! and add Glorfindel as the 4th hero.

I would be happy to do as much of the ground work as I can before sending it to you guys. We could give it a shot in a Beta patch to see if people think its cool or crap. I think it would be pretty cool.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Phoenix Aug 19 2015, 23:31 PM
QUOTE(lochness @ Aug 19 2015, 19:25 PM) *

Could we try to do it Plz!!! I have been thinking of ways of adding Arnor without it being too much of a balance issue for possibly a patch in the future...
Structures: All the same as MOTW except with Arnor skins and barracks having Mithlond Sentries (without forged blades and heavy armour) instead of Rohan Spearmen and Lv 2 Stables having Llindons instead of Rohirrim.
Everything else can be the same as normal MOTW (no elven structures) for example tower guards on lv 2 barrack, black smith giving upgrades to arnor ect.
Mini heros: Ether KODA lv 3 stables or Noldor lv 3 barracks.
Heroes: Would really be the only issue Arveleg, Arvedui and Earnur all have the same skin so you just use one of them and make function like Aragon probably Earnur coz he is already most functional or Arcedui coz he has the Palinteer smash animation which could be used like a word of power move he gets on lv 10! Carthaen make like brand or Farimir, Argeleb would need a little brainstorming! and add Glorfindel as the 4th hero.

I would be happy to do as much of the ground work as I can before sending it to you guys. We could give it a shot in a Beta patch to see if people think its cool or crap. I think it would be pretty cool.

Hi, it's easy to enable Arnor as a playable faction but I don't see what value that would add, especially if they're really just a combination of Men + Elves with some unique heroes. Not a lot of variety there. Ultimately 2.02 is more of a balance patch, not a full blown mod, and we like to stick to the vanilla feel of the game. Making a change as massive as adding another faction (or in this case enabling a mostly disabled one) would have a huge impact on the game, and I am not convinced that the benefits outweigh the costs. Right now Arnor is extremely broken (I recall the archer hero sniping enemies faster than Legolas for example), and it would take a long time to get them in anything close to a playable state.

Clan: Corruption of Light

+
# 3lochness Aug 19 2015, 23:38 PM
I was thinking it more as a MOTW reskin really and I could try to fix a lot of the brokenness. But if you guys think its not the vibe then I respect that as 2.02 is an awesome patch and you guys have been doing a great job!

+
# 4Phoenix Aug 19 2015, 23:40 PM
I am kinda curious about adding it for the sake of adding some flavour, but that would add it to the Random pool and I don't want players to get it as a faction from Random unless it's pretty much universally approved by the community for competitive play first.

+
# 5lochness Aug 19 2015, 23:45 PM
Yeah lol on getting a completely broken side from choosing random sorta like a Russian roulette! To be honest it would't be in a patch anytime soon anyway as there would be a lot of work that I would have to do. But we will see what people think smile.gif

This post has been edited by lochness: Aug 19 2015, 23:55 PM

+
# 6Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 00:09 AM
It would have been great if EA had finished their work on Arnor as they did with Angmar. It would have made more sense to be honest. At least the campaign could have 2 versions as opposed to just Angmar's conquest and the epilogue.

If Arnor were to be added into the competitive scene, there'd have to be some major reworking - both visual and combat balance.

I know for a fact that the RotWK Dunedain Soldiers and Archers' textures don't come with a heavy armour compliment. So there'd have to be some textures and modelling involved.

Also, some heroes are bugged badly. I recall some of them sounding like a few of the Gondor heroes at random. Not serious but just a mix up between 2 voice definitions for some heroes.

It's an ambitious idea, though, and if Arnor could be added into the competitive scene, it would be interesting. tongue.gif

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 7The Smoking Man™ Aug 20 2015, 00:10 AM
I have no idea about Arnor but it "may" be possible to replace some MotW models with Arnor's ones if they really look cool/better.

But I would need you to take a lot of comparison screenshots for me. tongue.gif

+
# 8Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 00:14 AM
QUOTE(The Smoking Man™ @ Aug 20 2015, 02:10 AM) *

I have no idea about Arnor but it "may" be possible to replace some MotW models with Arnor's ones if they really look cool/better.

The only new textures are the basic Soldiers and Archers. smile.gif The rest seems to be the same.

If what you're asking includes heroes, yes, they also have their own unique textures.

+
# 9Phoenix Aug 20 2015, 00:15 AM
QUOTE(The Smoking Man™ @ Aug 19 2015, 20:10 PM) *

You can enable Arnor for yourself in-game by changing one line in one file. However I can't remember the line and file since I haven't done it in a while biggrin.gif. Should be easy to find though. Then you can easily test everything out. Or just check out Arnor from the campaign levels.

+
# 10Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 00:16 AM
Also, the AI would have to be reworked as well. The Arnor AI doesn't build Elven structures and their army definitions (ratios) don't include Elven troops.

Their base templates are EA standard ones, so they're not like the ones Mrak created.

+
# 11Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 00:19 AM
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Aug 20 2015, 02:15 AM) *

You can enable Arnor for yourself in-game by changing one line in one file. However I can't remember the line and file since I haven't done it in a while biggrin.gif. Should be easy to find though. Then you can easily test everything out. Or just check out Arnor from the campaign levels.

Simply go to playertemplate.ini, scroll down to the Arnor definitions section and enable them by turning PlayableSide = No to PlayableSide = Yes. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Excelsior: Aug 20 2015, 00:31 AM

+
# 12Phoenix Aug 20 2015, 00:21 AM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Aug 19 2015, 20:19 PM) *

Simply go to playertemplate.ini, scroll down to the Arnor definitions section and enable them by turning Playable Faction = no to Playable Faction = yes. tongue.gif

Ah yes, that's what it was biggrin.gif.

+
# 13Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 00:24 AM
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Aug 20 2015, 02:21 AM) *

Ah yes, that's what it was biggrin.gif.

Yep. smile.gif There you can also define the resource percentage output of each faction. Quite an interesting ini.

+
# 14lochness Aug 20 2015, 00:24 AM
The line to change to make arnor playable is in playertemplate.ini�� change no to yes then you can see for yourself were we stand! e.g

PlayerTemplate FactionArnor
Side = Arnor
PlayableSide = Yes
Evil = No
StartMoney = 0
MaxLevelMP = #DIVIDE( PLAYER_MAX_PURCHASE_POINTS_DEFAULT PLAYER_PURCHASE_POINTS_GRANTED )
MaxLevelSP = #DIVIDE( PLAYER_MAX_PURCHASE_POINTS_GOOD PLAYER_PURCHASE_POINTS_GRANTED )
PreferredColor = R:85 G:85 B:186
StartingBuilding = ArnorFortress

+
# 15lochness Aug 20 2015, 00:27 AM
Lol u beat me to it! Another thing you have to do is to put men sounds in eva.ini to make it so you have sound alerts when you are trying out arnor. eg

PredefinedEvaEvent BuildingStolen
Priority = 6
TimeBetweenEventsMS = 20000
ExpirationTimeMS = 10000
AlwaysPlayFromHomeBase = Yes ; Don't want voice coming from someone else's building

SideSound
Side = Angmar
Sound = CampThrallBuildingLost
End

SideSound ;added
Side = Arnor
Sound = CampSoldierBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Mordor
Sound = CampOrcBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Isengard
End

SideSound
Side = Wild
Sound = CampGoblinBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Men
End

SideSound
Side = Elves
Sound = CampElfBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Dwarves
Sound = CampDwarfBuildingLost
End
End

This post has been edited by lochness: Aug 20 2015, 00:42 AM

+
# 16Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 01:07 AM
QUOTE(lochness @ Aug 20 2015, 02:27 AM) *

Lol u beat me to it! Another thing you have to do is to put men sounds in eva.ini to make it so you have sound alerts when you are trying out arnor. eg

PredefinedEvaEvent BuildingStolen
Priority = 6
TimeBetweenEventsMS = 20000
ExpirationTimeMS = 10000
AlwaysPlayFromHomeBase = Yes ; Don't want voice coming from someone else's building

SideSound
Side = Angmar
Sound = CampThrallBuildingLost
End

SideSound ;added
Side = Arnor
End

SideSound
Side = Mordor
End

SideSound
Side = Isengard
End

SideSound
Side = Wild
Sound = CampGoblinBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Men
End

SideSound
Side = Elves
Sound = CampElfBuildingLost
End

SideSound
Side = Dwarves
Sound = CampDwarfBuildingLost
End
End

Wait, so none of the Eva events are configured for the Arnor faction? n1qshok.gif That's crazy.

Don't they use the Men's Eva events? I'm positive they do. I'll have a look at this quickly. tongue.gif

+
# 17Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 01:10 AM
QUOTE(lochness @ Aug 20 2015, 01:25 AM) *

It would be interesting to see what you're willing to do with the Arnor faction. Your changes are welcome. They can be used as a point of reference. smile.gif

+
# 18lochness Aug 20 2015, 01:19 AM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Aug 20 2015, 01:10 AM) *

It would be interesting to see what you're willing to do with the Arnor faction. Your changes are welcome. They can be used as a point of reference. smile.gif

Cool I'll start working on it soon and I'll update what's up on this thread. I'v done alot of work with Arnor before so I do know a bit about the faction. The next thing to do after that is to set up the Arnor porter with an MOTW/Arnor command set.

+
# 19Excelsior Aug 20 2015, 01:32 AM
QUOTE(lochness @ Aug 20 2015, 03:19 AM) *

Cool I'll start working on it soon and I'll update what's up on this thread. I'v done alot of work with Arnor before so I do know a bit about the faction. The next thing to do after that is to set up the Arnor porter with an MOTW/Arnor command set.

Awesome stuff, mate! smile.gif Please do.

Quick question (just for clarity): Are you adding the new command set to a newly added, unique Arnor porter model? Or is the command set dedicated to the normal, already used porter? If it's the latter, I think most structures, if not all, in the current commandset, are in tact (probably not in the best order though).

+
# 20MauHúR Aug 20 2015, 01:34 AM
Could replace some MotW stuff with Arnor stuff on certain maps for variety's sake maybe. Although theres not a lot of Arnor themed maps that are played online.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)