Explore GameReplays...

Blizzard to Add Achievements to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Grimulus Aug 6 2008, 01:09 AM
Blizzard’s newly announced achievement system is going further than World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. The company plans to add achievements to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 with an account based system much like Xbox Live to make the achievements viewable to other players.

Jeff Kaplan, World of Warcraft’s lead designer, revealed much of how the system will work and explained the “Blizzard level” that each account will have.

“When the new Blizzard Accounts are active, a player’s ‘WoW’ points can be added to an overall score dubbed an account holder’s ‘Blizzard Level.’ ‘It’s basically a gamerscore’ ... ‘For now the points are just a ‘WoW’ character score. As we graduate to that Blizzard Account system, which is right on the horizon, it will switch over to a Blizzard Level.”

Kaplan also stated the point system in World of Warcraft will be just one factor that will affect a player’s Blizzard Level. Blizzard wants the player to be able to view another player’s skill level in Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, or World of Warcraft.

“You’ll have this Blizzard identity, and you’ll be able to see things like ‘Oh, this guy was great at Diablo III, but he never played Starcraft and he was mediocre in WoW.”

Presently the achievements are character specific, but Kaplan hopes to add account-level achievements as well. One he mentioned, for example, is having a character of maximum level on both the Horde and Alliance side. Also, the account-level achievements will included ones dealing with professions and classes.

The new achievement system will be implemented upon the launch of the latest World of Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King.

This post has been edited by Grimulus: Aug 6 2008, 01:13 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 2warstratigier Aug 6 2008, 01:28 AM
And another one jumps on the achievement bandwagon.....

Game: Team Fortress 2

+
# 3Warhawk Aug 6 2008, 02:32 AM
/\ ehh seems to work to keep people playing... I do not care for them but meh.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4Derek Aug 6 2008, 03:48 AM
Achievements were awesome in TF2. I don't see how they could hurt SC2. Ctrl-Alt-Del weighed in on the issue, seems their not fans of rushing. tongue.gif

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 5Jean=A=Luc Aug 6 2008, 10:44 AM
This will allow Blizz games to consume even more souls.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 6Zyxzy Aug 6 2008, 16:41 PM
QUOTE(Jean=A=Luc @ Aug 6 2008, 05:44 AM) *

This will allow Blizz games to consume even more souls.

And bring Blizzard one step closer to Total World Domination.

This post has been edited by Zyxzy: Aug 6 2008, 16:47 PM

+
# 7JASON626 Aug 6 2008, 18:12 PM
I think its a pointless feature.

Game: None

+
# 8Sinister Grin Aug 6 2008, 21:11 PM
yeah, i really don't even care.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 9Grimulus Aug 7 2008, 03:12 AM
QUOTE(Frostyfrozen @ Aug 6 2008, 15:11 PM) *

yeah, i really don't even care.

I think it's safe to say that many PC gamers feel this way. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but PC gamers are generally, "real" gamers who don't care about worthless achievements, but only about winning and mastering the game. At least that's the general consensus from folks I know. smile.gif

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 10Campaigner Aug 23 2008, 12:46 PM
I'm a perfectionist and I'm gonna collect every single little achievement there is. I think achievements linked to an account or anything bigger then a single game is absolutely great!

Like Impulses upcoming achievements system. Make room in the top 10!

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)