Company of Heroes

COH 2 gameplay demo review

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1comicbookguy May 22 2012, 16:08 PM
IGN just posted their review of the COH2 gameplay demo they saw.

Read it here
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/22/com...big-differences

Though soldiers aren’t necessarily defenseless against tanks, either. Flame throwers and other special attacks can now kill the crews of certain armored vehicles, allowing the other side to capture it. Key vehicles could even become points of contention, dynamically adding important multiplayer capture points, and forcing both sides to be a bit more careful with armor.

Prob. other outlets have their updated info out.

can't wait.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Kat May 22 2012, 17:17 PM
Nice! Some interesting stuff:

but also heavily involve other elements like terrain and morale

New mechanic apart from suppression or just word shorcut for suppression?

the fact that it's 1941, instead of post-1944

The campaign follows Russian soldiers as they fight the German army in the Eastern Front in 1941.

Only in campaign or also multi? We still don't know.

now tanks lurch to a stop, bounce more across difficult terrain, and plow through buildings and other man-made structures like the multi-ton monstrosities they are

Hell yeah, everyone loves even more big guns rolling and pwning biggrin.gif

Flame throwers and other special attacks can now kill the crews of certain armored vehicles, allowing the other side to capture it

Stealing/capturing somewhat confirmed. And, wow, flames can decrew vehicle - why there was no such thing when roos were stomping all axis in 2.601? wink.gif

You might have a three man machinegun team take position in a house, pouring on enemy fire and suppressing a much larger force against the other player's wishes

Suppression is still there, that would probably mean that russians won't be that blobby faction as many are afraid, although that's just my anticipation.

the amount of potential tactics players can come up with to use tanks or smoke to block sight is overwhelming to ponder.

Even tanks can block sight - really nice.

This post has been edited by Kat: May 22 2012, 17:24 PM

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 3c0mpl3x1ty May 22 2012, 17:21 PM
Looks like sighting from behind buildings is out the door. The vaulting is also a huge change, for sure. I'm sure barb-wiring green cover is just going to become that much more important.

+
# 4rgrrrr May 22 2012, 17:26 PM
This franchise needs to die already. Nobody likes it except for scrubs who suck at Starcraft 2

oha, nimitz already posted.

Clan: Suck it Trebek!

Game: Achron

+
# 5AngrySwiffylol May 22 2012, 17:27 PM
I'm excited for these changes. Can't wait for 2013.

+
# 6tengen May 22 2012, 18:33 PM
QUOTE(comicbookguy @ May 22 2012, 08:08 AM) *

IGN just posted their review of the COH2 gameplay demo they saw.

Read it here
Though soldiers aren’t necessarily defenseless against tanks, either. Flame throwers and other special attacks can now kill the crews of certain armored vehicles, allowing the other side to capture it. Key vehicles could even become points of contention, dynamically adding important multiplayer capture points, and forcing both sides to be a bit more careful with armor.
Prob. other outlets have their updated info out.
can't wait.

sad.gif Was hoping for a video demo.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 7vaz May 22 2012, 23:26 PM
QUOTE(tengen @ May 22 2012, 14:33 PM) *

sad.gif Was hoping for a video demo.

E3 is coming up soon, I'm sure there will be video there. I really didn't get a feeling that the IGN reviewer was really into COH. On the good side though, his opinions of the game would be useful to draw new players.

+
# 8Marcus2389 May 23 2012, 07:24 AM
I don't know if someone already posted this, but here you can see that the guys behind Quinn are playing...something biggrin.gif

www.g4tv.com/games/pc/66069/company-of-heroes-2/articles/77341/company-of-heroes-2-first-look-preview-new-and-improved-wwii-strategy-now-with-more-russian-front/

+
# 9Vio88mm May 23 2012, 08:38 AM
QUOTE(Marcus2389 @ May 23 2012, 07:24 AM) *

I don't know if someone already posted this, but here you can see that the guys behind Quinn are playing...something biggrin.gif

www.g4tv.com/games/pc/66069/company-of-heroes-2/articles/77341/company-of-heroes-2-first-look-preview-new-and-improved-wwii-strategy-now-with-more-russian-front/

Release Date:Dec 31, 2013

I thought it would be january 2013 sad.gif

+
# 10Thrill May 23 2012, 09:11 AM
interesting information was posted on gamespot.com regarding CoH2:

The road was narrow and the buildings tightly packed, which meant the tank's line of sight was basically shot. It came as little surprise when an antitank round disabled it in one shot. However, it wasn't a total loss. The tank's crew was ordered to abandon the vehicle, and thus became a new, separate unit. Abandoned vehicles can be recaptured and repaired, by either side.

So It's confirmed - tank's crew will be a separate unit.

+
# 11ISSIGuderian May 23 2012, 09:32 AM
I srsly hope that vehicle capture thing doesnt go outta hand, it reminds of how dumb the engineer capturing buildings in RA3 was ^^

+
# 12Hirmetrium May 23 2012, 09:57 AM
Sorry I haven't posted sooner guys - I couldn't remember my password wacko.gif

As far as I know, tank crews are NOT separate. What I saw was a tank roll into a town, demonstrating truesight, and a PaK shot it from down the road. It hit the tank and immediately the familar red text floated above it saying "ABANDONED!".

Crew's don't just get out, and I don't recall them saying small arms clearing tanks out.

If you haven't already, I suggest reading my notes here. I've tried to keep it as factual and non-speculative as possible.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions you might have - but I suppose you guys have already read everything I could tell you!

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 13AUSOwnage May 23 2012, 10:35 AM
QUOTE(Vio88mm @ May 23 2012, 08:38 AM) *

Release Date:Dec 31, 2013

I thought it would be january 2013 sad.gif

+1 sad.gif

+
# 14Vio88mm May 23 2012, 12:25 PM
QUOTE(AUSOwnage @ May 23 2012, 10:35 AM) *

+1 sad.gif

The thing is that there are some infromation which are missleading.

1) There are pre-order item(s) in the cart. Shipment of the ordered items may be delayed until 1/31/2013 for Company of Heroes® 2.

If you chose box delivery.

http://shop.thq.com/store/thqworld/en_US/b...goryID.59032700

2) Company of Heroes 2 is scheduled to be available for PC in early 2013. For more information, check companyofheroes.com. You can pre-order the game right now with shopTHQ.

http://www.thq.com/us/company-of-heroes-2/...%AE_2_announced

And on the demo review site it says december 31.

Right hand side.

Release Date:
US: Dec 31, 2013
UK: Dec 31, 2013
Australia: Dec 31, 2013

Does someone have any clarrifying information. ? sad.gif

+
# 15DrJason May 23 2012, 12:40 PM
can't be 31 Dec 2013

+
# 16Tommy. May 23 2012, 12:43 PM
It's been confirmed by THQ that it's coming out in the FISCAL Q4 of 2013, some review sites probably either thought that that meant Q4 calendar, or they didn't see the informtation so they put December 31 as a placeholder (because that's the latest it could come out ofc).

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 17Marcus2389 May 23 2012, 13:10 PM
FISCAL Q4 2013 = real Q1 2013, from January to March...Do not worry guys, the game is coming on early 2013.

Anyway it seems like THQ guys told press different things

"Crew's don't just get out, and I don't recall them saying small arms clearing tanks out."

So the crew of the SU-76 just disappeared?

From IGN's article: (you can find it on company of heroes facebook page)

"Flame throwers and other special attacks can now kill the crews of certain armored vehicles, allowing the other side to capture it. Key vehicles could even become points of contention, dynamically adding important multiplayer capture points, and forcing both sides to be a bit more careful with armor."

Who is right about this? xD

+
# 18PonTi May 23 2012, 13:50 PM
the more news we got, the most exciting it gets. thats unexpected for me considering that it has been the opposite with all last Relic releases (DOW2+expansions, COH:OF/TOV) which were all very disapointing for me.

Im much more happy than afraid about the new implemented mechanics (snow stuff, vision, tanks stealing,....) because this time Relic team sems to outnumber what it was in 2006....

smile.gif

gogo Relic

Game: Men of War: Assault Squad

+
# 19schepp himself May 23 2012, 14:23 PM
QUOTE(Hirmetrium @ May 23 2012, 10:57 AM) *

As far as I know, tank crews are NOT separate. What I saw was a tank roll into a town, demonstrating truesight, and a PaK shot it from down the road. It hit the tank and immediately the familar red text floated above it saying "ABANDONED!".

I'm suspicious because this could mean different things:
a) If a vehicle is hit hard enough, it will be abandoned (kind of like one shotted but better because you can nick it afterwards)
b) Abandoned is some sort of critical hit. Apparently, critical hits can be archived even when the vehicle is full health before.
c) Health bars of vehicles are out!? You either get a penetrating hit which means something broke (engine, gun, crew, tracks, ammo etc.) or you don't penetrate and don't do any damage.
d) Some guns having a higher chance of doing critical hits than others (or forcing an abandonment) -> ATHT-syndrome

Maybe someone can falsify those points that are pure speculation by me and, as you can see, sometimes contradict each other.

Greets
Schepp himself

+
# 20abhilohia May 23 2012, 14:34 PM
Fyeah Im not dreaming biggrin.gif
Seriously though, great news that relic finally has their act together and hopefully isn't going to mess this up. A really good Media campaign would be great to see, and would really help skyrocket the popularity of the game which has the goods, but lacks the attention it deserves.

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)