Company of Heroes

Company of Heroes on a Tablet PC?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1JimRaynor Jun 19 2012, 06:25 AM
In a recent interview the new prez of THQ said this:

"I think Company of Heroes, as an RTS with its control mechanism, is much easier to move onto a tablet than something that requires a dual stick and a significant amount of controls. It's just inherent. So could a Company of Heroes or something along those lines end up on a tablet soon? Absolutely. Do I think that there is going to be a Saints Row on a tablet? In the immediate future, no I don't"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012...e-beating-us-up

I think this is a very bad idea.

However, i played the campaign and maybe 40 multiplayer games of the original Company of Heroes and liked it a lot. Most posters on here know 1,000 X more than I do about CoH.

What do you think of a Company of Heroes edition for a Tablet PC ?

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2nsto Jun 19 2012, 06:43 AM
I can see it working. Selecting and controlling units could be easier and more accurate for the layman with touch controls. Sure the hardcore players would miss the hotkeys and everything but it would be more accessible with tablet controls. Not to mention ordering squads around with the flick of your wrist would feel super futuristic.

If there was a CoH game available on my Asus TF300 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Naeras Jun 19 2012, 08:21 AM
If you had a keyboard accessible for shortcut keys, I could maybe see this working. Maybe.

+
# 4theglenlivet12 Jun 19 2012, 10:47 AM
On the other hand, it could be as bad as trying to play with a touchpad sad.gif

+
# 5xIronCrossx Jun 19 2012, 13:16 PM
And whoosh there goes any kind of competition/ranked games.

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 6steger Jun 19 2012, 16:30 PM
Have you guys tried any type of rts games on tablets. In theory it sounds great, but it just doesnt work. It sucks. A good example is red alert which is unplayable on an ipad.

+
# 7CrazyAxis(and Amis) Jun 19 2012, 21:26 PM
one of the worst ideas i have ever heard

Game: Company of Heroes Online

+
# 8pathfindergold Jun 19 2012, 21:35 PM
I think the game would work well on a traditional Tablet PC, but not the new iPad style tablets.

Clan: Heavy Love Artillery

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 9StrongumDog Jun 20 2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah - thought Red Alert would work great on the ipad - Instead it was horrible. The screen is too small and your fingers are too big... I don't see how something as complex as COH could possibly work.

+
# 10Lollypopso Jun 20 2012, 07:30 AM
IPB Image

IPB Image

MVGame.

Clan: Allstars

+
# 11Lbode9 Jun 20 2012, 09:35 AM
You can always hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and hack an ipad to use a mouse. (I'm sure this will not need hacking in the near future) so why couldn't you use the Hi-Def screen and the tablet to run the game and have the same exact control as you do now? You can even connect your iPad to an apple TV with a special HDMI cable so I see it as a possibility in the near future. Would make it possible to take it with you anywhere you go. No more boring plane rides or long car trips with no CoH to play. (Without the inet on the plane of course) I think it was Quinn Duffy who mentioned they don't even know how tablets will be used for gaming a few years for now and said something to the effect of CoH on tablets as possibility.

+
# 12Matthew77 Jun 20 2012, 16:00 PM
QUOTE(Lbode9 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:35 AM) *

You can always hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and hack an ipad to use a mouse. (I'm sure this will not need hacking in the near future) so why couldn't you use the Hi-Def screen and the tablet to run the game and have the same exact control as you do now? You can even connect your iPad to an apple TV with a special HDMI cable so I see it as a possibility in the near future.

I don't see the point in linking your iPad to a TV, a keyboard and a mouse...
It would just be a normal computer, but far less powerful.
I don't see the interest in doing so, as if you play on tablets, you don't want a mouse. Either way you'd just play on your computer.
RTS games on iPad are just terrible, you can't be accurate with your fingers.
And coh's HUD is too large to be usable AND to allow correct view of the action.

Sorry for bad English...

+
# 13Lbode9 Jun 20 2012, 18:13 PM
My point was that it would be portable but I guess there are laptops for that. Regardless of your point handheld computers are the future. For gaming????? Who knows but my comment about the mouse and keyboard was in response to the poster who said the touch screen wouldn't work for CoH and i agree. Tons of people already hookup their tablet to tvs for both movies and gaming. It just gives you a larger screen when your not out and about. I simply mentioned that before the next poster jumped in and said what aout the small screen. The ipad 2 i have now is also better than the first pc i played CoH on so i think down the road you'll be eating your words. I do think the next gen tablets are the computers of the future and if you read what I said I was talking years down the road. i.e. when tablets are as powerful as today's desktop monsters. That's what the developer of CoH2 was referring to and I'm sure they are leaving options open for that just in case tablet use picks up for rts gaming or gaming in general. As for now, na.

And Mathew Don't worry about you English. You sound better than I do and it's my native language. ;-!

This post has been edited by Lbode9: Jun 20 2012, 18:16 PM

+
# 14c0mpl3x1ty Jun 20 2012, 18:32 PM
lolly just won the thread

everyone's arguments are invalid

+
# 15Matthew77 Jun 20 2012, 18:46 PM
QUOTE(Lbode9 @ Jun 20 2012, 18:13 PM) *

My point was that it would be portable but I guess there are laptops for that. Regardless of your point handheld computers are the future. For gaming????? Who knows but my comment about the mouse and keyboard was in response to the poster who said the touch screen wouldn't work for CoH and i agree. Tons of people already hookup their tablet to tvs for both movies and gaming. It just gives you a larger screen when your not out and about. I simply mentioned that before the next poster jumped in and said what aout the small screen. The ipad 2 i have now is also better than the first pc i played CoH on so i think down the road you'll be eating your words. I do think the next gen tablets are the computers of the future and if you read what I said I was talking years down the road. i.e. when tablets are as powerful as today's desktop monsters. That's what the developer of CoH2 was referring to and I'm sure they are leaving options open for that just in case tablet use picks up for rts gaming or gaming in general. As for now, na.

And Mathew Don't worry about you English. You sound better than I do and it's my native language. ;-!

So tablets would just be your pc, but you carry it everywhere...
Well anyways, the thing i disliked was having a coh made for nowadays tablets.
When i play games like Call of Duty or naughty Bears (yes i play naughty bear on my ipad), its a completely different game, almost only the name remains the same. I disliked seeing a light version of coh, thats just what i meant.

Anyways future will tell us the rest...

+
# 16Lbode9 Jun 26 2012, 07:37 AM
Check out this Gaming Tablet article that talks about playing Tom Clancy HAWX 2 and Company of Heroes on it at CES. While it is only at the concept stage and may not make it to the market if the feedback isn't good it sounds like it will sell for less than $1000 usd and be geared toward gaming. I'll be waiting awhile to grab one of these as I don't think they'll be CoH2 worthy. Check out the interview with the Razer employee. It shows Warhammer being played and you can see the CoH icon when he's showing it off. I just kept thinking click, click, click. :-)

This post has been edited by Lbode9: Jun 26 2012, 07:51 AM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)