88.89% (8)
Yes
11.11% (1)
No

Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Phoenix Mar 23 2015, 21:55 PM
A lot of people are making topics regarding custom RotWK maps. Should we create a special forum for these? We could even use it to maintain all the popular ones in a pinned topic.

Clan: Corruption of Light

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Thoon Mar 23 2015, 22:48 PM
Yes, since this isn't used much where it is.

Clan: Broken Sword Legion

+
# 3Lazarus° Mar 23 2015, 22:55 PM
Good idea.

+
# 4Thorin Mar 23 2015, 23:04 PM
Mhmm, not so sure. At first, the idea is perfectly fine, but separate forums tend to get inactive if overall activity isn't high enough. This is just my personal opinion, but I think you got a nice pocket of activity going on here in the General Discussion and part of that are the maps. You would cut your activity in two parts if you divided that over those two forums. That would work if activity was high overall, but I don't think it is just yet. That's just me though, maybe something to consider.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 5bushit Mar 23 2015, 23:04 PM
Yesh! Or simply one topic tbh!

Clan: GoF|

+
# 6Phoenix Mar 23 2015, 23:48 PM
QUOTE(Thorin @ Mar 23 2015, 19:04 PM) *

Mhmm, not so sure. At first, the idea is perfectly fine, but separate forums tend to get inactive if overall activity isn't high enough. This is just my personal opinion, but I think you got a nice pocket of activity going on here in the General Discussion and part of that are the maps. You would cut your activity in two parts if you divided that over those two forums. That would work if activity was high overall, but I don't think it is just yet. That's just me though, maybe something to consider.

In this case though the added benefit is that it allows us to maintain an index of some of the maps with a single place for people to download what they need. We want to expand our coverage of custom maps in the future and a forum may be a good way to do so.

As for activity, Tech Support is not super active but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. We could apply the same argument here. In any case there are quite a few people who work with custom maps and I think they could benefit from their own forum.

+
# 7Excalibur Mar 24 2015, 06:46 AM
I vote for yes as well. It will be much easier to find and discuss there any new map made.

+
# 8Mako Mar 24 2015, 08:33 AM
simply YES

But there is worldbuilder section no? we could start to reuse and redirect the new topics in that section.

+
# 9Thorin Mar 24 2015, 09:21 AM
QUOTE(BlueKnight @ Mar 24 2015, 00:48 AM) *

In this case though the added benefit is that it allows us to maintain an index of some of the maps with a single place for people to download what they need. We want to expand our coverage of custom maps in the future and a forum may be a good way to do so.

As for activity, Tech Support is not super active but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. We could apply the same argument here. In any case there are quite a few people who work with custom maps and I think they could benefit from their own forum.

That is true, that is the benefit of a separate forum, but I don't think it is useful cutting your activity in half. People visiting General Discussion for discussion on some maps will no longer do so and General Discussion topics will suffer from that. This forum may then even die out or be very inactive. Then those who would normally visit this forum would stop doing so and you would lose overall activity, which would eventually hurt the activity in the Maps forum.

As for Tech Support, that's entirely different. That's always going to have some activity, because people are always going to have technical problems. Also Tech Support is already a separate forum. You got a good thing going here in the General Discussion, so I would ease down on the expansion, but that's just me.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 10Feanor Mar 24 2015, 10:27 AM
After thinking about it, I side with Thorin. Interests in new maps will eventually die out and that would leave us with a dead forum.

Game: Minecraft

+
# 11bushit Mar 24 2015, 14:17 PM
I voted yes but it seems to me one organized topic is all that's needed, very few discuss custom maps.

Clan: GoF|

+
# 12MauHúR Mar 24 2015, 14:48 PM
I feel like thats something you could include into a modding corner once theres enough interest in these things.

+
# 13Thoon Mar 25 2015, 19:36 PM
If we keep it in Gen discussion, we could bring back tags. Put [Custom Map] in the title. Take a page from the defunct Artist section with its personality driven threads (ex. "Thoon's Map Room"). That way it doesn't clutter the front page, but still encourages continuous discussion.

Clan: Broken Sword Legion

+
# 14Phoenix Mar 25 2015, 22:11 PM
Okay we're getting mixed reactions here, so I'll hold off on the forum for now. Perhaps we can use some kind of tagging system for now as Thoon suggested.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)