Supreme Commander 2

Forged Alliance and Forged Alliance Forever

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1FunkOff Mar 21 2012, 21:48 PM
Just heads up to you guys, Forged Alliance is experiencing a second resurgence in popularity, even though GPGnet was shut down recently, by means of the community client, FA Forever (FAF for short: www.faforever.com). If you want an active community for the greatest strategy series ever, you should try FAF.

Now, FA might not be as optimized for slow systems or have the great unit pathfinding that supcom 2 does, but it's arguably comparable or better in every regard, and if you haven't tried it, you should.

Features of FA and FAF, in regards to supcom 2:
-Extra faction (Seraphim)
-Up to 12 players games (6v6 setons, anyone?)
-New game features, like ship wrecks, diplomacy, and unit sharing with allies
-More units
-Better, more finely tuned balance
-Several new game types, like Murder Party, Phantom, Nuke for the Win, and others
-Actively supported (by FAF community of developers)
-Hundreds of custom maps available
-Dozens of high profile, exciting mods like Blackops (more units), 4th dimension (more explosions), and the Nomads (5th faction)

Further, and perhaps most exciting of all, is Galactic War. It's not ready yet, but it's being made, just like Total Annihilation used to have.

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 2HoT Ho11oW PoiNT Mar 21 2012, 22:04 PM
I will also add here that I had the Direct2Drive version of SupCom and FA, I recently tried my key in Steam and voila, I now have SupCom and FA on Steam 'for free' (I didn't have to rebuy).

I am not sure if this applies to retail, maybe someone would check that out?

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 3splattedone Mar 21 2012, 23:16 PM
Well, I finally got FAF working! So I should be on playing plenty in these upcoming weeks. Already won my first game back!

And, much as I like SupCom2, FA is the better game.

+
# 4NiteOfMisfortune Mar 21 2012, 23:52 PM
is the original completely different because i played that and it was incredibly slow for me: experimentals took for ever to build and died very fast.,.

+
# 5Reddev32 Mar 24 2012, 17:24 PM
QUOTE(NiteOfMisfortune @ Mar 21 2012, 23:52 PM) *

is the original completely different because i played that and it was incredibly slow for me: experimentals took for ever to build and died very fast.,.

Yes supcom 1 and fa are 2 different games but its more epic than supcom 2 smile.gif

+
# 6dshannon Mar 24 2012, 19:48 PM
This is so Awesome, get on in here guys the multiplayer is pumping out some great games!

+
# 7Mr.StealUrGurl Apr 25 2012, 08:07 AM
QUOTE(FunkOff @ Mar 21 2012, 13:48 PM) *

Just heads up to you guys, Forged Alliance is experiencing a second resurgence in popularity, even though GPGnet was shut down recently, by means of the community client, FA Forever (FAF for short: www.faforever.com). If you want an active community for the greatest strategy series ever, you should try FAF.

Now, FA might not be as optimized for slow systems or have the great unit pathfinding that supcom 2 does, but it's arguably comparable or better in every regard, and if you haven't tried it, you should.

Features of FA and FAF, in regards to supcom 2:
-Extra faction (Seraphim)
-Up to 12 players games (6v6 setons, anyone?)
-New game features, like ship wrecks, diplomacy, and unit sharing with allies
-More units
-Better, more finely tuned balance
-Several new game types, like Murder Party, Phantom, Nuke for the Win, and others
-Actively supported (by FAF community of developers)
-Hundreds of custom maps available
-Dozens of high profile, exciting mods like Blackops (more units), 4th dimension (more explosions), and the Nomads (5th faction)

Further, and perhaps most exciting of all, is Galactic War. It's not ready yet, but it's being made, just like Total Annihilation used to have.

Will you really have a Galactic War? That was the funnest thing about Bone Yards. You were forced to play a map, it was awesome!
I just recently opened my SupCom and FA games and started playing them...I may have to get more serious about those if there is going to be a Galactic War!

+
# 8Reddev32 Apr 25 2012, 15:54 PM
QUOTE(Mr.StealUrGurl @ Apr 25 2012, 08:07 AM) *

Will you really have a Galactic War? That was the funnest thing about Bone Yards. You were forced to play a map, it was awesome!
I just recently opened my SupCom and FA games and started playing them...I may have to get more serious about those if there is going to be a Galactic War!

Its in the planning as far as i know but its not a priorty due to them are making inprovements on the features that are currenty in play in the program

+
# 9spuddyt Apr 26 2012, 02:09 AM
Tried to go back. Couldn't cope with the pathfinding. Every other aspect of the game is superior. It sad me.

+
# 10Mr.StealUrGurl Apr 27 2012, 13:27 PM
QUOTE(Reddev32 @ Apr 25 2012, 07:54 AM) *

Its in the planning as far as i know but its not a priorty due to them are making inprovements on the features that are currenty in play in the program

Makes sense!
That is really awesome, though!

+
# 11splattedone Apr 27 2012, 13:32 PM
QUOTE(spuddyt @ Apr 25 2012, 22:09 PM) *

Tried to go back. Couldn't cope with the pathfinding. Every other aspect of the game is superior. It sad me.

Pussy. Just play for a while. You got used to it once, you can get used to it again.

Although I will admit drawing in a game you should've won because of shitty pathfinding is really annoying post-13661-1143531603.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)