Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Is Soviet worse at high level play or just harder to play/underrepresented?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 12FactionGame May 22 2015, 12:15 PM
Title, last time I saw a soviet player win a ftw or even make it to finals was FTW #17 with Dankal in 2013.

Is it just flat out

Couple things I don't understand in this game like:

Why is the bullfrog so weak to aircraft when it is the only soviet anti air vehicle and cannot attacking anything except air? Compare this to the vx, and even the IFV. Compare this to kanes wrath even, this is so much worse then nod buggies/bikes
Why do javelins get to outdps flak troopers and tankbusters while also being multipurpouse and requiring 0 micro?

How its suppoused to be:

Allies = Superior Airforce/Tech
Empire = Flexibility
Soviets = Brute Force/focus on strong ground units,cost, so why does the apoc get outdpsd by an oni and have a much worse ability? Overall

Why did they think the twinblade getting outdpsd by the VX would be remotely balanced when the VX is a multipurpose unit that can attack all unit types and defend itself against AA aircraft? Same goes for the tengu and the t1 japanese tank outdpsing the hammer.

How it is in practice:

Soviets = worthless niche, has the worst units overall, also the price to efficiency ratio is very bad.

Base Defences:

Allies recieve the most multipurpouse , spammable defense in the game. Japan is mid but the setup really hurts them. Soviets have to build seperate t1 defenses for air and ground, not only this but THEY ARE BOTH WORSE THEN THE ALLIES SPAMMABLE ALL IN ONE DEFENSE. Nobody will tell you this is balanced with a straight face.

All purpouse always = weaker overall over a unit with one focused niche in a balanced game.

Is it any wonder why almost nobody plays soviets? Because its pretty obvious to me.

People who choose to play soviet are better players this is why they win in a hypothetical match with equally opponents the A/E player wins every time.

In any balanced game every single faction is playable and sees tournament wins at a competitive level. Case in point, WC3 and SC2, in both cases every single race is playable , even in lopsided matchups they are still winnable.

Personal Conclusion: RA3 is not balanced for various reasons which I have listed here along with many others. Soviet players can win but soviets don't really have a niche over other factions due to EA abandoning support for the game too early in its life.

+
# 2Dimon0000000 May 22 2015, 13:06 PM
Sov is hardest for learning and playing, but probably best faction(i still hope its balanced)
Why make smurf account specially for this post?

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 3zokker13 May 22 2015, 13:48 PM

This post has been edited by zokker13: Jun 27 2015, 14:25 PM

Game: None

+
# 4Andrey_96 May 22 2015, 13:51 PM
ra3 no balans game,all know it,cryo rush vs emp for example it cheat bo,no balans maps and so on,sov most difficult Fraction in game,Dankal and Tingu proved,what sov can bash all emp and allies,Case in skill,win vs allies push on sp it big skill,in my opinion sov better emp on all maps,vs allies on Many maps ,not cry guy sov can bash all,sorry for my so sux English xD

+
# 5B00M May 22 2015, 14:16 PM
I believe that Soviets are the strongest faction in the game, that is if you exclude cryogedon. While that, in my humble opinion, is true - they are also by far the hardest race to play. Mistakes get punished rather hard and they require heavy multitasking. It sucks that I make alot of mistakes and blow at multitasking biggrin.gif

Quick edit: I am a bit disappointed in the apoc tank as well I must admit sad.gif it's really poor, (when not heroic,) despite looking really cool..

This post has been edited by B00M: May 22 2015, 14:45 PM

Game: Blizzard

+
# 6BUn1997 May 22 2015, 14:57 PM
I think you should play Allied and face the Sovs biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Clan: m8s

+
# 7007Goldeneye May 22 2015, 15:29 PM
QUOTE(Andrey_96 @ May 22 2015, 08:51 AM) *

ra3 no balans game,all know it,cryo rush vs emp for example it cheat bo,no balans maps and so on,sov most difficult Fraction in game,Dankal and Tingu proved,what sov can bash all emp and allies,Case in skill,win vs allies push on sp it big skill,in my opinion sov better emp on all maps,vs allies on Many maps ,not cry guy sov can bash all,sorry for my so sux English xD

mother of gawd my brain just exploded

+
# 8Andrey_96 May 22 2015, 15:48 PM
QUOTE(007Goldeneye @ May 22 2015, 15:29 PM) *

mother of gawd my brain just exploded

Maybe u not know English?

+
# 9Silver5000 May 22 2015, 17:42 PM
The Soviets need buffing
1. buffing the Soviet Dreadnought is needed.

it is needed because the Dreadnought have lowest damage per second, shorter attack range and moves the slowest compare to its rivals in other factions. what is really bad about it is its secondary ability which damages the unit very fast in order to increase rate of fire.

The Kirov has a similar ability that instead increase its speed while damaging it, it has self repair and massive heath to counterbalance this. Unlike Dreadnought which has no self repair and lot less heath.

Therefore at very least can give it self repair and before ask I have done testing to check what I am talking is right.

2 buffing the flak trooper
the flak troopers need buffing because they lowest damage per second compare to its rivals in other factions with allied counterpart having around 75% more damage per second, while empire counterpart has around 85% more damage per second but can only attack ground units. however their secondary ability is overpowered and needs damage nerfing by a good amount or it will just cause play back to double barracks flak troop spams with all-in t2 plays.

which why they got the cost increase to £ 400. I think instead they should have nerf the damage of secondary ability to counter this problem.

+
# 10Sheriff AA May 22 2015, 17:50 PM
QUOTE(Dimon0000000 @ May 22 2015, 09:06 AM) *

Sov is hardest for learning and playing

QUOTE(Andrey_96 @ May 22 2015, 09:51 AM) *

sov most difficult Fraction in game

QUOTE(B00M @ May 22 2015, 10:16 AM) *

I believe that Soviets are the strongest faction in the game, that is if you exclude cryogedon. While that, in my humble opinion, is true - they are also by far the hardest race to play.

I'm just gonna dump this here: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...859360&st=0

This was literally the same exact discussion as this topic 3 years ago, only people were saying the same things about Allies. "Best faction on the game", "hardest to play", "most under-represented", "under powered", etc. Now Allies is the dominant faction on the game, yet that happened without any in game changes(like balance patches for example). How did the Allied players manage to dig themselves out of that hole? Well, obviously there is less players now then there was back then, however most of the players left finally learned how to utilize the faction's strengths properly(most notably by the use of ADs, spies, etc.), and thats exactly what the Soviets players need to do here.

Btw, terror drones are still the most under-rated unit in the game.

+
# 11B00M May 22 2015, 19:28 PM
I dont think anyone underrates terrordrones? o.O
Also soviets doesn't really have fancy units such as the spy(/the shinobi) or the AD. It's gameplay is pretty straight forward, but hard to execute properly.

Just my opinion of course^^

This post has been edited by B00M: May 22 2015, 19:33 PM

Game: Blizzard

+
# 12Messican May 22 2015, 20:31 PM
SOVIETS ARE JUST SO SUXES.

+
# 13Vindies May 22 2015, 20:53 PM
Factions in RA3 are balanced - maps are not.

I think balance discussions should only be made between top tier players. Some statements in this topic are spot-on while others are the opposite.

QUOTE(zokker13 @ May 22 2015, 14:48 PM) *

In a game like RA3 with so different units, you can't simply state "unit X from faction X is weaker than unit Y from faction Y, OP". That would be utterly wrong and a horrible statement.
Units are different and have different purposes.

This.

+
# 14Das.Duelon May 22 2015, 23:39 PM
+1 on that post vindies.

Game: Battlefield 1943

+
# 15ThePanther May 23 2015, 00:24 AM
QUOTE(Das.Duelon @ May 22 2015, 18:39 PM) *

+1 on that post vindies.

1+ on this 1+

XD

+
# 16{DO}-LiquidOCELOT May 23 2015, 01:08 AM
Soviets is the best faction in the game and pawns empire even when the empire guy goes tier 3, many people just dont know how to play them vs top players, all the real pro players know a secret and that secret is of timing, timing comes with a telepathic ability to know what opponent is doing and how to make a combo to win that micro engagement to win those crucial moments, like vs allies, alot of people these days just dont use the proper well timed attacks vs em like conscript spams and when to stop production of it, and then do the right amount of Bull frogs and where to position them exactly what to expect, or may be like do some thing infront of opponent and then change strategy entirely to bamboozle the opponent.

Allies players are confusing people these days with spies and cryo copters shrink micro but soviets got the "iron curtain" many games i have seen uploaded where the soviet guy just used the same underrated Apoc tanks to finish off opponents with iron curtain on them, hammer leech beem use mixed with stasis ray, kirov does allies have a kirov ? does allies have a tank that can shoot with two turrets, and heal him self when ever he can even on his own buildings, which faction has protocol of mass economy ? where every thing is priced almost half, which faction can finish off mcvs with flank + terror drone drops or flanks + tesla drops ? which faction can land a terror drone inside a refinery with twin blades.

There is a reason DanKal dominated the scene, i remember him playing in 2009 even some old conquer cup matches where he went against malle he used to loose but those fights were ferocious he was quite new at that time but did that mean till 2015 Dankal complained about how weak soviet was or he just timed his attacks to perfection and used iron curtain unlike most. Also dankal has ability to assign groups effectively and also position units in proper rows all the time he is microing and positioning him self and scouting and doing all the right moves.

My advice is just go watch his old twitch channel and see his micro movements and may be do 25% of that i am sure youll be able to beat most players out there

Clan: DiVerSiTy

+
# 17excelgeek May 23 2015, 03:23 AM
Is DanKal an octopus on adderall ?
How the hell does he micro like that with all those unit groupings.

+
# 18Ultr4S May 23 2015, 08:41 AM
i play random for 6 years more or less, and its pretty much balance from my point of view, execpt cryo should have had a bit less HP
flaks maybe cost less and dreadnaught indead sucks ass

Clan: H2O

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)