Explore GameReplays...

Battlefield 3

Looking back on BF3

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1yams in a can Aug 29 2012, 05:12 AM
So lets review the game known as Battlefield 3. We can talk about weapon balance, class balance, gun mechanics, etc...

Some of my stuff.

It sounded good at the beginning, but now I absolutely DETEST it. What am I talking about? I am talking about the assault class being the medic class as well. Why is this bad? Well, DICE created a very OP class. The defibs of the medic class will always make it a strong class, but when you give it the strongest gun, there is hardly a reason to run the other classes! Support class is damn near useless, Engineer class is a map specific class, so it will always be fine, but the Medic class is the only class to choose for Infantry maps.

Second regret: suppression. Again, this sounded AWESOME when the game was about to be released, but now it just SUCKS! I hate that my recoil increases tenfold and I hate that my spread goes to shit. I would be totally fine if it was just a visual thing, but it just sucks. Teamwork is about covering your allies, not making it impossible for a skilled player to play smart.

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 2Kodiakk Aug 29 2012, 06:26 AM
I like the game to this day, my only quip is that recon is far too situational.

Clan: Tools of War

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 3Auron. Aug 29 2012, 20:23 PM
The fact bf 4 is coming out "anyday now" and EA conned a lot of people into buying 120$ worth of main game and dlc. It actually reminds me of EALA's RTS one game per year scheme.

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 4-Azzy- Aug 30 2012, 21:54 PM
I still enjoy playing BF3.

I've lost count of the number of times a team has been steamrolled by Assault trains on Metro Conquest. Metro is another gripe I have with the game as it's just awful. But, I've had plenty of success with both the Assault and Support classes (I rarely use the LMG's, they need the bipod to be effective in the role they're supposed to play. And the heavy assault rifles work just as well as anything else medium-long range). I was sort of glad that the nerf carbine weapons received, way back when the Engineer class was complete jack-of-all trades class. And the recon class is just meh, good for planting a spawn beacon in some situations, good for taking care of bipodded LMG's in others, not much use compared to a Support/Assault in most others.

Lock on weapons is another thing, no, I'm not continuing my tradition of ranting against Stingers/Igla's. Javelins, SOFLAM's and Guided Missiles/Shells, it forces the vehicle perks to be completely streamlined. You will almost never, ever see an MBT/LAV using something other than Smoke, because without it you're basically free points for some dude and his Javelin.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the upcoming tank warfare DLC gamemode (I forgot it's name, supposedly every player and his cat gets to spawn in a tank), because essentially it will be a Reactive Armour/Smoke/Guided Shell's face-off.

Other things of note:
- The L86 is not god-tier
- The L86 to me is a novelty M27 IAR
- Claymores suck
- Mortars suck
- Air Radar should display friendly air and land vehicles and spotted enemy vehicles
- Does Stealth/Thermal Camo even do anything now?
- Reactive Armour plating should be on the front of MBT's as well, there's not really much sense in taking it over Proximity Scan when almost all of my Tank vs Tank showdowns have against my front armour, it has value when communicating with a teammate who can run Prox. Scan from the gunners seat (since you aren't losing anything then) but it's rare that it happens.
- Almost all of the Admins that own their own servers and create 'special rules that everyone must adhere to' are morons, but that can't be helped

Game: None

+
# 5M4dn3ss Aug 31 2012, 07:03 AM
The amount of lockon weapons in this game is disgusting but otherwise it's still a fun game to play.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 6dunk2k Aug 31 2012, 23:23 PM
Battlefield 3 definitely sticks to the BF formula, only adding to it with new game mechanics and benefits of the Frostbite 2 engine. I get more of a military enthusiast vibe with BF3 as it's no were near as run and gun as CoD is and not really on the same terms as ArmA 2 for military simulation, Battlefield 3 would be somewhere in the middle so to speak.

I've found the pace of BF3 to be much slower than BF:BC2 and even BF2 to a point. In honesty Battlefield 3 didn't feel much like the successor to BF2, more like they've taking the core Battlefield franchise and moved it into the current gaming and technological climate. Surprisingly DICE listened to its community and 5 months after BF3's release the game was rebalanced to reflect what the community felt would make the game playable - we haven't seen many developers turn a game upside down after release to rebalance it based on community feedback, especially a developer owned by Electronics Arts blink.gif

My only worry is EA/DICE turn the Battlefield franchise into another iterative game series - where by every game that proceeds numerically isn't a standalone game in itself but merely an extension of the previous. It's strange to think we're taking about BF3 as if it's had its day, but even with all the upcoming DLC's yet to be released I think it's safe to say it's lost its impact and hasn't managed to sustain a playerbase and longevity like BF2 has.

I'm not bad mouthing BF3, it's brought a lot of new things to the table in regards to the BF franchise, I just feel it hasn't been a worthy successor to BF2. Though I will say the DLC's, released and on the horizon, are doing a good job of encapsulating a particular aspect of the battlefield experience (Close quarters = infantry combat, Armored Kill = vehicle combat), expanding upon the given aspect and in turn expanding Battlefield 3, if not the core Battlefield mechanics.

+
# 7'MaRTIAN' Sep 1 2012, 08:50 AM
They tried to compete will CoD, which imo tainted the games design.
I get the feeling they gonna do to this what they did to the C&C franchise.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 8yams in a can Sep 3 2012, 09:09 AM
What they need to do is make the IFV less effective against MBT. MBT are supposed to be the rock to the scissor known as the IFV's. Reactive armor doesn't really need to be on the front, as that is a bit ridiculous.

I hate how they made the Javelin do 50 damage. All they needed to do was take away that lock on time.

+
# 9-Azzy- Sep 3 2012, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to see where the new Tank Destroyer(?) class fits on the rock paper scissors gameplay list. With AP Shells, TOW Missile secondary and being extremely fast to boot, they're probably going to dominate ground/armoured warfare unless they make the AP shells completely ineffective against infantry.

MBT's need a bonus to frontal armour, they're stupidly easy to disable even if you only have 2 engineers with RPG's and some modicum of cover. IFV TOW missiles/APFSDS-T Shells and it's Reactive Armour can put the IFV on even ground with an MBT even if they engage one head-on. The only thing I can say about MBT's that make them complete cheese is the fast switching between Canister/Guided Shells and AP Shells with no delay between the switch that lets them fire one shell immediately after the other.

+
# 10dunk2k Sep 3 2012, 19:33 PM
QUOTE(-Azzy- @ Sep 3 2012, 12:51 PM) *

The only thing I can say about MBT's that make them complete cheese is the fast switching between Canister/Guided Shells and AP Shells with no delay between the switch that lets them fire one shell immediately after the other.

Agreed, it's utter 'cheese'. Would think they'd (DICE) would sort that on the release of BF3:AK... hopefully rolleyes.gif

+
# 11dunk2k Sep 3 2012, 20:02 PM
They have fixed it in the next patch lol!
"• Changed reload behavior on Tank / Tank Destroyer cannon weapons to prevent being able to fire 2 shots from different weapons quickly one right after another."

source

+
# 12'MaRTIAN' Sep 4 2012, 08:36 AM
Why doesn't the patch drop, i've been waiting.

+
# 13yams in a can Sep 4 2012, 09:20 AM
The tank destroyer has less armor than the MBT, so it sort of is like another unique type of LAV.

The MBTs were fine before that certain patch nerfed them to HELL. Btw RPGs don't do much damage to the front. I'm pretty sure you are left with 80+ health if an RPG hits you in the front, regardless of the angle (angle actually doesn't affect the damage dealt to a tank in the front.).

I mean the values would be fine in BC2, but they are certainly not meant for BF3 (the disable feature).

Back to suppression. It was fine during the game's first few months, and I liked it that way. Only sustained fire could get you suppressed, and LMGs were perfect for this (although admit-tingly, I didn't find myself suppressed that much before that one patch).

+
# 14'MaRTIAN' Sep 4 2012, 14:46 PM
Yeah the suppression is still stupid. I lose the gun fight because i actually hit my target and he just shot in my general direction, suppressing me to all hell and it would only be like a few bullets. Only the heavy Lmg's and frag rounds should inflict suppression imo.

+
# 15FlamingForce Sep 4 2012, 15:39 PM
I never really looked forward to suppression and it worked out as badly as I expected it would, rewarding people for not hitting their target is just crazy, maybe if it were an LMG only thing like in Ghost Recon but other then that, bah.

The game itself was certainly not the worst game ever, I personally never liked the "feel" of the game, it was always kind of sluggish and boring and vaulting over the same object 5 times in a row before you actually got over it wasn't exactly fun either.

My main gripe was the game's twisted incorporation of "Realism", even when this supposed realism, such as the flashlight, was broken beyond belief, yes, we did eventually get some fixes but not before Demize tweeted at complaints with pictures of a real-life light to defend the damn thing, afterwards DICE finally caves in to the sniping complaints and makes aggro-recon/quickscoping semi-viable again with torso kills, we still have supersoldiers capable of running 6 olympic marathons in a row without ever stopping to take a single breath, bullets exiting barrels at the craziest of angles because another bullet just whizzed past the shooter and magical self-folding reusable parachutes.

It never made any sense to me, sometimes DICE would refuse a change simply because "That's how it works in real life" and then they turn around and change something else for the sake of game balance.

I liked BF3, don't get me wrong, I just like other games a hell of a lot more.

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 16-Azzy- Sep 5 2012, 01:57 AM
Probably over worrying about TD class, starting off getting the unlocks is going to be a pain.

Suppression is ok, not perfect, but tolerable, before the last fix it was ridiculous. I still think it's stupid as there is no consistency, quite often you're better off using a pistol rather than your assault rifle if you're being affected by suppression, and suppression massively increases the recoil and spread on weapons deployed with a bipod, which removes any point in taking it in some cases.

Can't play AK because of "We'll patch everything at once with enormous size patches rather than balance tweaking with smaller patches and catering to the immediate community complaints". So I'm likely to spend the next 2 days downloading stuff with my glorious low speed internet.

I'm surprised to read there were no changes to the MTAR-21 either. Anybody with access to Armoured Kill with some first thoughts?

+
# 17yams in a can Sep 7 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm fine with infinite sprint. It gave Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 a quick pace that I loved!

+
# 18dunk2k Sep 7 2012, 14:59 PM
Oh the miles and miles of walking back and forth across a map in BF2, had only the sprint bar been infinite wink.gif

+
# 19jtlmaster Sep 14 2012, 20:11 PM
I've played a few games of AK and i like it so far. I haven't played for about 2 months and so far i like most of what they added. Although i do have a question. Have helicopter ECMs always acted like flares? I was firing some stingers at a helicopter and everytime it nearly hit it they deplyed the ECMs and the missle just veered off.

Game: Minecraft

+
# 20-Azzy- Sep 15 2012, 01:33 AM
QUOTE(jtlmaster @ Sep 14 2012, 20:11 PM) *

I've played a few games of AK and i like it so far. I haven't played for about 2 months and so far i like most of what they added. Although i do have a question. Have helicopter ECMs always acted like flares? I was firing some stingers at a helicopter and everytime it nearly hit it they deployed the ECMs and the missile just veered off.

It isn't reliable and it's really buggy, quite often the missile will be 'deflected' by the ECM, only to spin around the helicopter until it hits something. My guess is ECM isn't supposed to act like IR Flares, because it didn't in some earlier patches.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)