Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

More Great Work By Greg Black

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1JimRaynor Jan 13 2016, 11:20 AM
Greg Black is a great game designer. He is listed #1 in the 3 Game Designers for SrarCraft2: Legacy of the Void. Not sure if that means he is the most important Game Designer. SC2; LotV has Mr. Black's fingerprints all over it.

I recommend any one who loves Red Alert 3 to give SC2: Legacy of the Void a chance. It feels as much as possible like a Red Alert game as a Starcraft game could possibly be.

Watching Terran mirrors in the Korean GSL feels like iits Technique versus Dynamic in an Allies Mirror. smile.gif

take my comments with a big grain of salt, they are very subjective... but also..give SC2: LotV a chance if u have no one to play in Red Alert 3 late at night.

If the MODs wanna Mess Hall this subjective post because its too off topic...go for it smile.gif

Raynor Out.

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Jan 13 2016, 11:38 AM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2zokker13 Jan 13 2016, 16:40 PM
LotV is a great example of fucked game design.
A Nydus that can't die. A Unit that's great against Light Units and only loses to heavy units. Abilities that grant vision but won't let you receive damage. More coin flip through the Disruptor and that shit ability Oracles can drop to stun 1/3 of your 200/200 army. Tank pickups that totally fuck up positioning and puts doom drops more in the foreground.

I don't understand why so many units need abilities.
Where is the Warhound that was promised to be reworked? Why is the Disruptor in this game? Ultras with 8 Armor? Marauders with 2 attacks because fuck you. WHO THE HELL THOUGHT A NEXUS CANNON ON A PYLON IS A GOOD IDEA?

Blizzard wanted to add an expansion.
They did. They took HotS and took a big dump on it and sold that shit really well.

Especially TvT got a lot more cancerous.

Don't get me wrong; the campaign is nice and all but that's all that's nice.

Game: None

+
# 3GBHmichael Jan 13 2016, 19:19 PM
I really like what they've done with LotV. They've made it much more fast paced and micro-intensive than before, making it more like the gameplay in RA3 that we all enjoy so much.

@Zokker
You have to remember that the changes that have been put in place are still in their infancy; it is still a new game and any imbalance is likely to get patched. But it may just be a case of people have to learn to adjust themselves to these changes instead of playing like they used to on WoL and HotS.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 4JimRaynor Jan 13 2016, 20:32 PM
i like SC2: Legacy of the Void more than any other Starcraft game. However, Red Alert 3 is still more fun. Its too hard for me to find RA3 1v1 games at my level of play. Its impossible for me and my playing partner to find 2v2 RA3 games with a team at our level of play. As a result, i've moved on to SC2.

For SC2, we find both 1v1 and 2v2 games instantly. I play in the Diamond league in 1v1s and she plays in the Gold or Silver League for 1v1s. In the 2v2 league we're at a diamond or masters level.

If the player-base we're big enough I'd still rather play RA3.

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Jan 13 2016, 20:35 PM

+
# 5zokker13 Jan 13 2016, 21:09 PM
QUOTE(GBHmichael @ Jan 13 2016, 20:19 PM) *

@Zokker
You have to remember that the changes that have been put in place are still in their infancy; it is still a new game and any imbalance is likely to get pathed.

Balance never affected me since I'm not GM.

I talk about the pure design of units and abilities which are counter productive.
I enjoyed RA3 because I didn't suffer of microtraps from the other factions. In SC2 it's like a bunch of good Forefields that nullify micro untill Medivacs are out. Same with Nexus/Photon Cannon. Typical micro killers that make the game slow.

In HotS Terran got Mines and the TvZ got even better than before (after that WM splash nerv).
Now we have a Ravager/Roach composition which basically means that the Terran is able to stim, split, drop tanks, use Medivacs and actually do something. Zerg does Attackmove with some Ravager shots.

Is this fun? I dont think so.

The concept of the Disruptor is a coinflip. You either are lucky, are able to drive in the enemy and kill a lot crap or the enemy splits and the shot is gone. What is this?

Why is everything supposed to be have an ability? What happened with the unit design between BW and SCII? BW had a lot less abilities but more areas on the units which made a unit stronger (like backplating for Siege Tanks).

Maybe I'm just coming of age...

+
# 6007Goldeneye Jan 14 2016, 13:29 PM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Jan 13 2016, 15:32 PM) *

However, Red Alert 3 is still more fun. Its too hard for me to find RA3 1v1 games at my level of play. Its impossible for me and my playing partner to find 2v2 RA3 games with a team at our level of play.

If the player-base we're big enough I'd still rather play RA3.

What level of play are you looking for in your matches, and what timezone do you try? There are still several top tier players playing the game. Enough for 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3s so maybe it's just the times you try to play.

Clan: m8s

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 7TerryBogard Jan 16 2016, 21:27 PM
in LOTV you almost need to play archon mode...or be Goro from Mortal Kombat

+
# 8JimRaynor Jan 19 2016, 16:21 PM
QUOTE(007Goldeneye @ Jan 14 2016, 09:29 AM) *

What level of play are you looking for in your matches, and what timezone do you try? There are still several top tier players playing the game. Enough for 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3s so maybe it's just the times you try to play.

i am in the top 10% of SC2 players, but lower than the top 2%. Guys like Zokker defeat me very easily in both SC2 and RA3. My gf plays in the Gold League of SC2 and i showed her RA3 and she could never find an opponent near her level in order for her to learn the game. we're both sort of in "no man's land" for finding suitable RA3 opponents.

+
# 9RRcabal Jan 24 2016, 19:06 PM
So that's what Greg has been doing as of late. smile.gif

+
# 10Das.Duelon Feb 12 2016, 14:02 PM
I agree with JRs main message here. Blizz/Mr.Black managed to put together the best sc2 there has ever been. Your missing out if your not playing! biggrin.gif =)

Game: Battlefield 1943

+
# 11AggressivePanda Feb 24 2016, 17:12 PM
Lotv is great fun, and I would recommend it.

Clan: FeaR

Game: Kanes Wrath

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)