Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Proposed adjustments to the Ladder points system.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1ToxicShock Oct 28 2014, 19:37 PM
At present, thirty three points are awarded or deducted for a win or loss between players holding an equal number of points, varying between a minimum of five points and a maximum of sixty points, depending on the points difference between the players. The maximum and minimums kick in at about 420 points difference.

It has been suggested that that discourages players from taking a risk, in particular a risk by playing against an unknown players. It has also been said that the minimum points that can be won is too low to make it worthwhile playing (particularly as there is a risk when playing an unknown player).

What I propose to do is to cap the maximum points that can be lost in a game to 35 points but keep the maximum points that can be won at 60 points. That should give players more of an incentive to play and cut the penalty for having a bad game or being smurfed.

Equally, while I believe that the minimum that can be lost in a game should stay at 5 points, I intend to increase the minimum that can be won to 10 points. That should make it worthwhile playing a game against a player with few points.

I think if I reduced differences any further, that would cause points inflation and not differentiate sufficiently between skill levels.

I have run the matches from the earlier part of the season (up to earlier today) through those computations and get this;

IPB Image

The ladder (taken at around the same time - it's only an approximation) looks like this

ladder

IPB Image

I plan to do that for the beginning of the next season, unless I hear some serious objections. We can make further adjustments as we go along. What do you say?

This post has been edited by ToxicShock: Oct 28 2014, 20:34 PM

Clan: Mates First

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 2-DoMiNaToR- Oct 28 2014, 20:09 PM
sounds good.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3Ka$$aD Oct 28 2014, 20:14 PM
QUOTE(ToxicShock @ Oct 28 2014, 21:37 PM) *

Equally, while I believe that the minimum that can be lost in a game should stay at 5 points, I intend to increase that to 10 points. That should make it worthwhile playing a game against a player with few points.

That doesn't make sense, you mean the minimum that can be won in a game?

To sum it up, the only change is to cap the maximum loss to 35 points instead of 60 right?!. With that change it is still not worthwile to play against low ranked players, if you lose one game you have to win 7 to equalize that. Together with the fact that you can lose anytime against a decent player due to bad army luck on unbalanced maps that does not sound profitable. Raise the minimum gain to 10 points would improve that a bit as one lost game is only worth 3,5 wins but on the other hand noob bashing would be more worthwile.

How was the point system at clanwars.cc? Don't know but i think it was good.

+
# 4ToxicShock Oct 28 2014, 20:36 PM
QUOTE(Ka$$aD @ Oct 28 2014, 20:14 PM) *

That doesn't make sense, you mean the minimum that can be won in a game?

To sum it up, the only change is to cap the maximum loss to 35 points instead of 60 right?!. With that change it is still not worthwile to play against low ranked players, if you lose one game you have to win 7 to equalize that. Together with the fact that you can lose anytime against a decent player due to bad army luck on unbalanced maps that does not sound profitable. Raise the minimum gain to 10 points would improve that a bit as one lost game is only worth 3,5 wins but on the other hand noob bashing would be more worthwile.

How was the point system at clanwars.cc? Don't know but i think it was good.

Yes, that is what I meant. I've fixed that. Therefore you only need to play 3 and a half games vs low ranked players to get back to where you were (given that the minimum you can win will now be 10 points).

Clan: Mates First

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 5ReLaX Oct 28 2014, 20:42 PM
I would not cut a loss down that much to lower ranked players. A much higher ranked player should loose to a lower ranked one a lot of points. This number shouldn't be so bad dodging begins. Sure, with 1.04 you have a lot of luck around.

Clan: Casters & Co.

+
# 6Ka$$aD Oct 28 2014, 20:46 PM
QUOTE(ToxicShock @ Oct 28 2014, 22:36 PM) *

Yes, that is what I meant.

Then i think it sound good and we should give those two changes a try.

+
# 7xezon Oct 28 2014, 23:07 PM
At the current state of getting cnc-online filled with player, I think it makes more sense to motivate people to spam as much as possible, rather than selecting carefully when and who to play.

You can still make it more competitive, when more competition is around. Think about it.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 8Boshy Oct 29 2014, 07:50 AM
I think it's best to give points for wins and take nothing from losses. This way everyone has everything to gain and nothing to lose and people who beat stronger players would rise faster.

Game: None

+
# 9-DoMiNaToR- Oct 29 2014, 09:26 AM
QUOTE(Boshy @ Oct 29 2014, 07:50 AM) *

I think it's best to give points for wins and take nothing from losses. This way everyone has everything to gain and nothing to lose and people who beat stronger players would rise faster.

no, there should be at least SOME loss of points for losing.

Clanwars.cc system always worked well.

+
# 10Boshy Oct 29 2014, 09:29 AM
QUOTE(-DoMiNaToR- @ Oct 29 2014, 11:26 AM) *

no, there should be at least SOME loss of points for losing.

Why? This way there would be no point for making new accounts since you lose nothing by playing on your original one and it would not be beneficial cause you will have to level up from the beginning again. And it would be more beneficial to play high skilled players. Best solution.

+
# 11xezon Oct 29 2014, 10:01 AM
I think it is ok to lose points. Otherwise player would not care about loss and just throw up when he sees China vs Air in loading screen.

+
# 12Boshy Oct 29 2014, 10:08 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Oct 29 2014, 12:01 PM) *

I think it is ok to lose points. Otherwise player would not care about loss and just throw up when he sees China vs Air in loading screen.

Then nobody would want to play against players to which they have high chance of losing.

+
# 13xezon Oct 29 2014, 10:19 AM
QUOTE(Boshy @ Oct 29 2014, 12:08 PM) *

Then nobody would want to play against players to which they have high chance of losing.

Do you have proof for this claim?

+
# 14Boshy Oct 29 2014, 10:22 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Oct 29 2014, 12:19 PM) *

Do you have proof for this claim?

What kind of proof would you prefer sir?

+
# 15xezon Oct 29 2014, 10:36 AM
Statistics that proof that nobody plays another player that they have high chance losing to.

+
# 16Boshy Oct 29 2014, 10:43 AM
TangoLima

+
# 17Ka$$aD Oct 29 2014, 10:47 AM
Thats what i meant by referring to cw.cc system. I'd also prefer a point system where you always gain much more than you can lose so that playing is always worthwile no matter who you play against. People who spam most are in favour then but we all want more activity right? And you still have to be quite good to get on top since spamming losses never ends up in a top rank tongue.gif

+
# 18MrX Oct 29 2014, 10:48 AM
Actually TangoLima is the player where I played most of my games against this month. I just needed to wait a lot of time before he decided to start the matches. biggrin.gif

+
# 19Boshy Oct 29 2014, 10:50 AM
Btw under my system nobody would throw away china vs tox cause if you throw it away you give free win to the enemy but you can try to win without having anything to lose and actually gain points. This way you can try to deny points to the enemy(and make it easier to get ahead of him).

+
# 20xezon Oct 29 2014, 11:16 AM
QUOTE(Boshy @ Oct 29 2014, 12:43 PM) *

TangoLima

Poor statistics.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)