Explore GameReplays...

Kanes Wrath

Ranked Map Consultation 1vs1 original maps (R10C)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Zypherbullet Mar 26 2015, 14:17 PM
Greetings Commander! This is your opportunity to have a say on which maps should form part of the Kane's Wrath ranked map pool.

Read about the consultation here; New Ranked Maps: Community Consultation and Voting 2015.

We last consulted the community on this issue in November 2013 (before the GameSpy shut down) by way of a poll. We will not be holding a poll this time round but, instead, will invite you to post your opinions which we will review. We are proceeding on the premise that you will want all of the maps on which we are consulting to be ranked. If you find that a map should not be ranked, you must say so and explain why.

In this topic we are seeking your opinions on the 4 maps set out below. We are consulting on a total of 30 maps and you can find the links to the discussion topics for the remainder of the maps in the post linked above.

Click on the image to the right to enlarge it.

- Mountain Pass

- Vista Valley

- Volcano Struggle

- Winter Meltdown

These maps are found in the 1.02+ map pack 1. The file comes with an installer.

This consultation closes at the end of Saturday, 11th April 2015. Please be sure to have your say before then.

Links to the other topics:

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Mar 26 2015, 15:36 PM

Clan: FeaR

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2RRcabal Mar 26 2015, 19:22 PM
Here are my picks:

1. Mountain Pass

2. Winter Meltdown

3. Vista Valley

Game: None

+
# 3Zypherbullet Mar 26 2015, 19:28 PM
Care to explain why not Volcano Struggle?

+
# 4RRcabal Mar 26 2015, 19:35 PM
Volcano Struggle has a few bugs on it that can't seem to stay away, when your going to cross the bridge it stops sometime, and I hate where the tib spike is located on both sides, its just a bad map all over.

+
# 5Zypherbullet Mar 26 2015, 19:41 PM
Solid feedback, thanks!

+
# 6Stayer231 Mar 26 2015, 20:03 PM
QUOTE(Cabal^ @ Mar 26 2015, 20:35 PM) *

Volcano Struggle has a few bugs on it that can't seem to stay away, when your going to cross the bridge it stops sometime, and I hate where the tib spike is located on both sides, its just a bad map all over.

I have to disagree, since there no longer are any bridges and Kimo and I played some games on it and there are no bugs to be found anymore.

+
# 7Thanatos Mar 26 2015, 22:08 PM
All of the maps besides volcano. I just feel like games dont flow properly on that map, and you cant be very creative as its very easy to scout the map.

+
# 8phantom9399 Mar 27 2015, 00:07 AM
QUOTE(Cabal^ @ Mar 26 2015, 19:35 PM) *

There are no more bridges, it is flat terrain. You might want to try it in r10c to see the changes on it.

+
# 9RRcabal Mar 27 2015, 04:00 AM
That's basically how much I pay attention to 1v1 maps, now a day's I just play 2v2.

+
# 10incapaisa Mar 27 2015, 04:28 AM
im counfused..
you want us to pick 3? of the 4..

From my games on them all 4 maps are great and sufficient enuff for Ranked Play...

Tho i don't play much anymore..when i did play..i had good balanced games on it...

I feel winter meltdown has a bit too much tib tho..
and if it goes late game it takes ages if both players are similar skill..
but its not bad to have a macro oriented map..in the pool
but yeah in my opinion include them all dude

Game: Team Fortress 2

+
# 11Ekko^ Mar 27 2015, 14:14 PM
all of them

+
# 12ToxicShock Mar 27 2015, 15:26 PM
QUOTE(incapaisa @ Mar 27 2015, 04:28 AM) *

im counfused..
you want us to pick 3? of the 4..

From my games on them all 4 maps are great and sufficient enuff for Ranked Play...

Tho i don't play much anymore..when i did play..i had good balanced games on it...

I feel winter meltdown has a bit too much tib tho..
and if it goes late game it takes ages if both players are similar skill..
but its not bad to have a macro oriented map..in the pool
but yeah in my opinion include them all dude

No, I don't know where anyone got the idea that you have to pick. What we want to know is whether any of the maps are unsuitable for the ranked map pool and if so, why.

Clan: Mates First

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 13RandomnessFt Mar 28 2015, 13:52 PM
All these maps are fine except for Winter Meltdown. It is good but have a lot of tiberium. Maybe remove the center field. It would be better if the top and the bottom fields start not grown to avoid that both players expand to one side of the map which make the game not mirrored. Also it causes both players troubles to get their third expansions and lead to a messy game.

+
# 14Masterleaf Mar 30 2015, 19:15 PM
Here's my thoughts and opinions on the maps in question. Though please bare in mind I haven't played extensively on some of these maps..

Mountain Pass
Overall i feel this map is well balanced and allows for aggressive and passive play, though due to the chokes its more geared towards longer games, which isn't a bad thing given how certain rushes ruin this game. It's nicely balanced and symmetrical (which is a staple of ranked maps in the existing pool). So overall for this map I would say it deserves to be ranked.

Vista Valley
The first revision of this map I really disliked because of the narrow bridges and limited entrances to the enemy base (which made harassment almost impossible), but with the traversable river it somewhat improved things. A small pet peeve I have is the Tiberium fields being a bit too small, but besides that I approve of this map being added to the ranked map pool.

Volcano Struggle
Ever since I first laid eyes on this map I knew it was only intended for fun. The bridges that were once on it created an unnecessary risk for both GDI and Nod expanding (if their MCV came under attack on the bridge it would be unable to deploy), but now since those are gone its an improved map, but not ideal. I feel the map is heavily in favor of Black Hand because of the rush distance, but aside from that I haven't tested the new revision to know if its worthy of being ranked or not. So I'm neutral with this one.

Winter Meltdown
Bigger Small Town USA? Check. Similarly themed and plays out fairly well in every match-up. I would love to see the bridges and rivers removed (or just widen the bridges) so the late game doesn't become campy and boring, which is the case in stusa. But that's just my opinion and has nothing to do with whether or not the map should be ranked.
Anyway... it's better than Volcano Struggle, so make it ranked.

+
# 15Predatore Mar 30 2015, 19:40 PM
Since the consultation has started, the maps are supposed to be final and not subject to further improvements. However, since it is not a poll, I may consider to do some modifications to the maps if that grant them the access to the ranked map pool.

To be clear, I'm not asking players to provide feedback about the maps. That stage ended when the consultation started. I consider that some maps may be ranked, but I would be ok if you decide they don't be ranked (like Armageddon Mountains, Asteroid Battleground and GDI Space Command, because these maps were designed as noob friendly maps). However some other maps were designed for competitive gameplay, and I'll try to improve them if you don't think they are suitable for ranked. Also, as for my maps, the R11 release will be the final one, since I won't update neither make more new maps after that release.

As for now, I've updated Volcano Struggle. Get the updated version from Map updates for 1.02+ R11.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Btw, I don't want to limit your comments in the consultation, but try to avoid posting these:
- Comments based on old version of the maps (that confuses other people).
- Asking to not include a map without a reason.
- Provide false facts (like saying a map has a lot of tiberium. Check them with the worldbuilder to be sure. @RandomnessFt: Winter Meltdown has about the same tiberium as Twisted Rift, and many other 1.02+ maps).
- Use of offensive words (@Incapaisa, it's not nice calling shit map or crap map to any map).

+
# 16Predatore Mar 31 2015, 02:52 AM
I've made a small update for Winter Meltdown (some widened ramps/bridges, and slow growth rate for expansion tiberium fields). Get the updated version from Map updates for 1.02+ R11.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Btw, I've seen most of the times people do not expand the riskier and optimal way in this map, which in my opinion is this:
Attached Image

+
# 17BootyWarrior Mar 31 2015, 11:11 AM
QUOTE(Predatore @ Mar 31 2015, 03:52 AM) *

I've made a small update for Winter Meltdown (some widened ramps/bridges, and slow growth rate for expansion tiberium fields). Get the updated version from Map updates for 1.02+ R11.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Btw, I've seen most of the times people do not expand the riskier and optimal way in this map, which in my opinion is this:
Attached Image

i like wintermeltdown how it is like right now only thing that can be changed is make bridges bit wieder smile.gif

+
# 18AggressivePanda Mar 31 2015, 11:31 AM
QUOTE(BootyCall @ Mar 31 2015, 11:11 AM) *

i like wintermeltdown how it is like right now only thing that can be changed is make bridges bit wieder smile.gif

Same winter meltdown is one of my fav maps, though i dont wsee the bridges needing much change i love it the way it is.

+
# 19AggressivePanda Mar 31 2015, 22:14 PM
Here is what I have to say.

This post has been edited by AggressivePanda: Mar 31 2015, 22:21 PM

+
# 20Predatore Apr 1 2015, 02:35 AM
@AggressivePanda: Thanks for making the video.

Spoiler

You have tested 13 of the 30 maps included in the consultation:

Asteroid Battleground
BattleBase Beaverton: I verified this map using the WorldBuilder: the distances and amount of tiberium is ok. I agree some fuel tank decoration objects could be removed to increase the buildable area near the expansion. However, flatten all the center of the map is not necessary. If all the maps must be flat in order to allow 50 tanks to move easily, then all they maps will be the same. This is a topic subject to discussion to decide if a map must provide a very big flat area to allow big battles in order to be included in the ranked map pool.
Disputed Arena: I verified the camera height, and it is ok (420). The size of the health bars should be ok when the map be added to the 1.02+ map packs.
Pipeline Nightmares
Tiberium Zone: I just want to mention the suggested expansion directions.
Old version vs New versión
Attached ImageAttached Image
Tournament Undergrounds: You can pass through the fountains in 1.02+.
Vertical Abyss
Volcano Struggle: The volcano has not been modified. The terrain added is for the farms, the rest of the map terrain has not been modified. The modified tiberium fields are the ones at the very north of the map (which had few tiberium, and they are useful for the late game).
Forest Arena: There are 2 tiberium spikes per player (you haven't seen the ones at the top-right and bottom-left corners).
Asteroid Outpost
Wasteland Circles
Volcano Valleys: May I suggest you to play some more games on this map? It might change you mind. Making it a flatter map might help, but it will also make it less interesting. The blue tiberium field at the center is not a problem from my point of view (also it is small and very contested).
GDI Space Command

You have tested 4 maps that are not included in the consultation:

Tournament Stadium: These are the suggested expansion directions:
Attached Image
Btw: the bus is not invincible (can be crushed), and it was there since a long time ago tongue.gif. Also, remember that test versions of the maps are 1.02 (standard), and in that version bikes cannot crush fences (therefore your comments of the tennis court won't be valid on 1.02+, and the tennis court was there since the very first version of the map tongue.gif)
Twilight City: Add water to fountains: Noted.
NOD Gardens
Tiberian Dunes

The most important thing I learned from your video is that you really liked the water fountains biggrin.gif (just kidding). At the end of the video, I think you were so tired that you blinked for 1 sec, but in the video it was 14 seconds of silence tongue.gif. Again, thanks for making this video. I'm glad you think most of the maps are worthy for the ranked map pool.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)