Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Red Alert 3 1.12.4 to be released as Mod Maps

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Constable Chris Dec 11 2015, 16:34 PM
Greetings everyone,

Viper and I , discussed the next release of the 1.12.4 patch , and we have decided to release it in the form of mod maps (similarly to the Kane's wrath 1.02+ patch) .

The primary reasons are that mod maps offered advantages like:

-Being able to play both 1.12 and 1.12.4 without having to switch game versions
-Online compatibility is not required

The downside of mod maps, is that they cannot be transferred in-game through the server. If a player transfers a mod map to someone else, a desync is likely to take place.

Therefore, the only way to get the mod maps is through the map pack which will likely be released in the near future.

We still do not have a specific date for the release, it will be finished ASAP.

Lastly, thank you all for the support you showed, we know this has been a very long wait. Hopefully the wait will end as soon as possible smile.gif

-Chris

Clan: H2O

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 2zokker13 Dec 11 2015, 21:05 PM
Always on is required for the last pathes to work?
They seem to work even offline. ohmy.gif

Reasons sound fine though.

Game: None

+
# 3Plokite_Wolf Dec 12 2015, 08:29 AM
QUOTE(Constable Chris @ Dec 11 2015, 17:34 PM) *
Viper and I , discussed the next release of the 1.12.4 patch , and we have decided to release it in the form of mod maps (similarly to the Kane's wrath 1.02+ patch) .

This is great. This will remove all the troubles of forcing one patch online. It'll probably be a bitch to make, but I think it's worth it.

QUOTE(Constable Chris @ Dec 11 2015, 17:34 PM) *
The downside of mod maps, is that they cannot be transferred in-game through the server. If a player transfers a mod map to someone else, a desync is likely to take place.

In KW, you can't even start the match if the other player doesn't have that sort of compiled map. Desyncs occur when there are different versions of the same map (which is even worse). People will need to download new versions ASAP when they're released to prevent this.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 4Constable Chris Dec 12 2015, 12:19 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 12 2015, 08:29 AM) *

In KW, you can't even start the match if the other player doesn't have that sort of compiled map. Desyncs occur when there are different versions of the same map (which is even worse). People will need to download new versions ASAP when they're released to prevent this.

Oh right, i forgot to mention that . Thank for clearing it up smile.gif

+
# 5BUn1997 Dec 12 2015, 12:35 PM
I think you should pause producing more patches, instead of that try to make your previous works worth ^^ (like find a way to put newer patches in official tournaments), cause some of us haven't used any of its advantages.

Clan: m8s

+
# 6GBHmichael Dec 12 2015, 14:11 PM
So the updated versions of the maps are being released in the form of a map pack, and the bug fixes will only take affect on these? You have fixed some particularly annoying bugs and I can see no reason for them to not be used in an official revora patch (As long as they have been thoroughly tested of course).

+
# 7Plokite_Wolf Dec 12 2015, 14:18 PM
That would require literally everyone to download the patch to play RA3 on C&C:Online at all. There are, alas, those who couldn't care less about this regardless of the awesome.

+
# 8zokker13 Dec 12 2015, 15:28 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 12 2015, 15:18 PM) *

That would require literally everyone to download the patch to play RA3 on C&C:Online at all. There are, alas, those who couldn't care less about this regardless of the awesome.

Now you need to add your patches to all maps one by one.
Those are the 1v1 Mappool maps.
The 2v2 mappools and the 3v3 mappools.

Additionally, new maps might not get patched at all (I know, we hardly had any new maps since 2008 but we have a tournament here and there where new maps are used).

I don't know why you guys want to have more work as you already have.
One change and you have to touch 10+ maps.

Unless you have pretty neat tooling for publishing, you require everyone to wait for you.

Game: None

+
# 9Constable Chris Dec 12 2015, 16:16 PM
Compiling the maps is not as difficult of a procedure as you may think. Compiling one map takes about 15-20 seconds. So it is a matter of minutes before all maps are touched up.

The work that is being done is worth it really.

+
# 10GBHmichael Dec 12 2015, 22:20 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 12 2015, 14:18 PM) *

Couldn't you just get the C&C launcher to check if the user has the latest patch installed upon starting RA3? Everyone playing the game should have the latest patch.

+
# 11Plokite_Wolf Dec 12 2015, 22:44 PM
This will require further discussion with the devs. The issue with Kane's Wrath 1.02+ patch was that whenever a new version of the mappacks was released, not only did players become incompatible, but also all replays from the previous version were completely unusable once the maps were patched. And since the site is heavily replay-oriented... you know...

Here, we're talking about having the entire game going bonkers with each new version having to effectively deny the functionality of previous versions (this would even affect those who merely play it for the coop!). The mappacks were the most effective compromise, albeit still a very fragile one. The process would only end if the mappack/patch is finalized, which would need far more substantial additions/fixes to obtain.

This post has been edited by Plokite_Wolf: Dec 12 2015, 22:52 PM

+
# 12Constable Chris Dec 13 2015, 06:53 AM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 12 2015, 22:44 PM) *

This will require further discussion with the devs. The issue with Kane's Wrath 1.02+ patch was that whenever a new version of the mappacks was released, not only did players become incompatible, but also all replays from the previous version were completely unusable once the maps were patched. And since the site is heavily replay-oriented... you know...

Here, we're talking about having the entire game going bonkers with each new version having to effectively deny the functionality of previous versions (this would even affect those who merely play it for the coop!). The mappacks were the most effective compromise, albeit still a very fragile one. The process would only end if the mappack/patch is finalized, which would need far more substantial additions/fixes to obtain.

+1

+
# 13Constable Chris Feb 3 2016, 13:42 PM
Due to some technical problems, mod maps will not work. In elaboration, there was a problem encountered where certain shaders would not be compiled into the mod map, resulting in weird looking units, and effects.

This is not something i was expecting, but as of yet, there seems to be no way these shaders could be fixed.

Naturally, we have to go back to a patch with a global effect.

Apologies for the inconvenience .

+
# 14Plokite_Wolf Feb 3 2016, 19:13 PM
The game doesn't need any new shaders anyway. A good unofficial patch keeps graphical changes to a minimum (fixing broken art, mostly) or makes intercompatible optional downloads for the graphics-ey stuff (see Battle for Middle-Earth 1 Xmas Edition).

+
# 15Constable Chris Feb 3 2016, 19:27 PM
Well you seemed to have answered a question i asked myself ages ago tongue.gif

I guess, if we were to keep mod maps, i would have to split the graphics into another optional download.
The sole reason i did not do this , is because i was not sure if it was possible to split this up, without causing a desync.
(I thought that players who had the graphics wouldnt sync with players who don't have it.)

But, if this is indeed possible, then that is great news, cause everything is prepared and ready smile.gif

+
# 16Plokite_Wolf Feb 3 2016, 19:33 PM
If it's mere textures and other stock elements you're replacing rather than adding, working with the currently established shell if you will, then it might be compatible. Try it.

+
# 17Constable Chris Feb 3 2016, 19:43 PM
When it comes to textures, there is only 1 new added effect that is a 3d sphere that uses a custom texture and shader.
Most other graphical changes, are the original effects, modified.

+
# 18Plokite_Wolf Feb 3 2016, 19:49 PM
QUOTE(Constable Chris @ Feb 3 2016, 20:43 PM) *
When it comes to textures, there is only 1 new added effect that is a 3d sphere that uses a custom texture and shader.

You mean the skies some modders like to add? Shouldn't that actually be a map-specific addition and work on its own?

+
# 19Constable Chris Feb 3 2016, 19:55 PM
Basically, i gave the Allied EMP missile effect, the 3d sphere from Yuriko's ability in uprising. I recolored it. The textures and shader came with 3d model. They are not present in the stock RA3.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)