Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Red Alert 3 Speedrunning/All Missions Challenge

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1CrazyCharlieH Jul 27 2015, 12:41 PM
Hello again everyone.

So, some of you may remember a while back I posted a thread about speedrunning the game. GBHMichael informed me that there was a little activity here, but nothing proper.

Well, since then, the RA3 boards over at SpeedRun.com have come to complete fruition. There are now full boards for every level, every full campaign, and every difficulty. Many thanks must go to CornfordCaster for this.

I want to invite you over to have a look. See what fits for you, and to perhaps consider adding a time yourself. Like an auction, I'm sure that if just two people begin to compete, then times will begin to drop considerably.

You may have noticed that there is still one catagory that has not seen a time posted to it, which is "All Campaigns", which brings me onto my next point.

To get generate some momentum and to get some more times on the board, I'd like to set up a race between anyone interested in the all campaigns section. Seriously. All campaigns, in any order.

But Charlie, I hear you exclaim, you'll win, you've been speedrunning this game for a while now, whats the point? Well, I never said I was actually any good. I run the game on easy, and I haven't even completed the Empire campaign casually, let alone attempting any kind of fast strats. Also, on my first timed run of the soviet campaign, I failed Mt Fuji three times. Even on easy. So yeah, mock all you want, but everyone would be on a level playing field.

I intent to run this on a Sunday evening, as that seems to be the time when most people are available. If you feel like you're up to the challenge, let us work something out.

Q: How do we coordinate a race?
A: There is a website for that already! It's called SpeedRunsLive.com. You can go here to read all about it.

Q: How do you time a race?
A: You need a timer program, such as wSplit (which I use, and is pretty simple) OR LiveSplit (which works just as well, but has endless customisation options). You set a hotkey for starting it (I use the "Multiply" key on my number pad on the right of my keyboard) which is also splits the time and ends it.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 2GBHmichael Jul 27 2015, 20:23 PM
It is really easy to get started in speedrunning now, especially since we have already created strategies that you can copy and try and work from! Most of the hard work has already been done smile.gif.

Players of any ability can get involved; just choose a difficulty that you're comfortable with, select a mission and press start. You don't need to be the fastest straight away, you will gradually improve as you continue, trying over and over again and pushing yourself to your limits.

**All easy and medium 1st place times are currently up for grabs for individual levels. Why not do a quick run now and get the top spot?**

@CrazyCharlieH - I will be up for doing some races (on easy if you like) once I get my internet sorted out. I will just need to do some strategy modifications for easy.
And also, I can't get wsplit to show up on the stream while I have a game open, it falls to the background. How do you get aruond this?

+
# 3CrazyCharlieH Jul 27 2015, 22:57 PM
@mike, you're a dirty xSplit user, right? tongue.gif I'm not sure exactly, but right clicking on your wsplit source, and move it up a layer, or send it to top, depending on how many sources you have.

+
# 4CrazyCharlieH Aug 2 2015, 20:36 PM
@gbhmichael

in this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwJjXTJ7Uo

at 4:22, the allies base goes to low power, why is that? did the ai build wrong and send itsef over the limit? missile from the aircraft carrier?

+
# 5GBHmichael Aug 2 2015, 21:15 PM
QUOTE(CrazyCharlieH @ Aug 2 2015, 20:36 PM) *

@gbhmichael

in this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwJjXTJ7Uo

at 4:22, the allies base goes to low power, why is that? did the ai build wrong and send itsef over the limit? missile from the aircraft carrier?

At 4:02 I fired a conscript into his main base with a bullfrog. Having a unit close to that area triggers him to instantly build some spectrum towers (you can see them being built with the yellow flares on the top right of the mini map). It pop up 2 towers, twice and after the 2nd lot have been fully constructed he doesn't have enough power for the rest of his base.

+
# 6GBHmichael Aug 2 2015, 23:07 PM
Btw, I noticed that BigBug beat my time on Allies 6 by 2 seconds with a slight strategy tweak smile.gif.

So I went and beat him again after making 2 other slight changes smile.gif. 3:57 is now the WR and the video is being processed now.

+
# 7GBHmichael Aug 2 2015, 23:35 PM
He also has found a glitch which allows you to skip any cutscene which replaces the minimap. I've posted a thread on speedrun.com so please give your input on whether or not you think it should be used.

http://www.speedrun.com/red_alert_3/thread/9vtb8

+
# 8RRcabal Aug 3 2015, 15:26 PM
Nobody can beat GBH, hes a champion at speedruns. smile.gif

Game: None

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)