Explore GameReplays...

League of Legends

Should you buy HP or Armour/MR (Graph)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1trucky Jul 22 2014, 08:40 AM
I saw this posted in a stream just now and think it's really useful!

http://imgur.com/a/3qUe8

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 2Crabby Lobster Jul 23 2014, 06:48 AM
I want to know how that guy got his numbers, because I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

The formula for armor/mr damage reduction is 100/(100+x). When you calculate its effectiveness, one more point of armor or magic resistance is always worth 1% effective health, regardless of how many points of it you already have. When you have a low amount of health, effective health isn't worth much, so you're best off buying lots of health. When you have a high amount of health, effective health is extremely valuable, making armor and mr better.

The point where armor and mr >> health is at 750 health, but that's accurate only when you're taking only one kind of damage. If you aren't taking magic damage and have over 750 health, armor is more valuable than health. However, if you're taking mixed damage, you want up to 1500 health before armor and mr is more cost effective. Against void staff/last whisper, health is better until you have 1013 or 2025 when taking mixed damage.

If you have 2500 health and 250 resistance, he says you should buy health. But there's no way that buying more health is more efficient when you already have that much, unless you're taking insane amounts of true damage or have some kind of damage that scales with health. I wish he would say how he got his numbers...

This post has been edited by Deskwich: Jul 23 2014, 06:55 AM

Game: League of Legends

+
# 3Crabby Lobster Jul 24 2014, 06:36 AM
Coming back the next day to make a TL;DR for my last post.

Basically, health falls off but armor/mr doesn't, so I'm pretty sure that guy's numbers are wrong. There isn't some line where you should have your health and resistances balanced out. Rather, once you hit around 1500 health, resistances become more cost effective than health.

+
# 4Feanor Jul 29 2014, 19:30 PM
Rather, once you hit around 1500 health, resistances become more cost effective than health.

Not really, the more resistances you have the more effective health becomes and vica versa. There's a standard curve you can follow but there's so many variables to take into account making it pretty hard to draw a clear conclusion.

Game: Minecraft

+
# 5Crabby Lobster Jul 29 2014, 22:40 PM
QUOTE(Feanor @ Jul 29 2014, 14:30 PM) *

Not really, the more resistances you have the more effective health becomes and vica versa. There's a standard curve you can follow but there's so many variables to take into account making it pretty hard to draw a clear conclusion.

I'm pretty sure I got it right. More health feels better when you're resistances are already high, because you're already tanky and then get this big health boost. The math all points to health falling off while resistances don't though. I'll try to describe this as simply and effectively as possible, so I don't make a massive wall of text and everyone can understand.

When your health pool is low, buying more health makes a huge difference. Say you have 500 health and buy 500 more, you're adding 100% health and you'll be twice as hard to kill regardless of your current resistances. However, when your health pool is high, buying more health makes a smaller difference. If you have 3000 health and buy that 500 more, it only adds 16 2/3%, which is only 1/6 as effective as when you had 500 health.

However, one point in resistances is always equal to +1% effective health. It doesn't get stronger or weaker as you get more health. If you have 500 health and get 100 armor and 100 mr, you're twice as hard to kill (ignoring true damage). If you have 3000 health and get 100 armor and 100 mr, you're still going to be twice as hard to kill. It doesn't matter if you only have 20 armor at first or 300, 100 more will always make you twice as resistant to that type of damage.

You can't really draw a curve for this and people that do (and there are many who do) are trying to make something that's actually fairly simple really complex. I'm actually really surprised how practically the whole community doesn't understand the math to this at all.

By the way:// 1500 health is a really low point where buying health is less cost effective. This surprised myself and I had to double check the maths. It seems like a year and a half ago or whatever when health was considered OP, Riot overnerfed the hell out of it. Warmog's, Rylai's, and Frozen Mallet are all terrible items right now because the health on them is so underwhelming per cost. If there were more items that just had high resistances and no health, they'd generally be pretty strong too. You'd think Riot would realize how weak health generally is, especially late game, and try tweaking the costs and numbers... but nope.

+
# 6Feanor Jul 30 2014, 06:34 AM
However, one point in resistances is always equal to +1% effective health. It doesn't get stronger or weaker as you get more health. If you have 500 health and get 100 armor and 100 mr, you're twice as hard to kill (ignoring true damage). If you have 3000 health and get 100 armor and 100 mr, you're still going to be twice as hard to kill. It doesn't matter if you only have 20 armor at first or 300, 100 more will always make you twice as resistant to that type of damage.

This is so contradicting!

Say you have 100 resistances so your effective health gets doubled. Buying Warmog's then gives you 2000 effective health. If you have 1000 health, you effectively double your health (100% increase in effective health). But if you already have 10 000 health, then the marginal increase is only 10% (20k effective health to 22k).

Now if I have 5 000 health and I buy 100 resistances, I gain a wooping 5k effective health for free. If my health were to be 1500 and I already had 300 resistances (so 6000 effective health) then buying a Warmogs would lead to a +4000 effective health increase and buying 100 resistances would lead to +1500 effective health increase.

+
# 7Crabby Lobster Jul 30 2014, 20:27 PM
You're right and I'm a stupid idiot. biggrin.gif

I made the mistake of calculating both health and resistances off of your base health. I should've calculated the value of health through the effective health pool.

THE GRAPHS LINKED TO IN THE OP ARE ACCURATE and it does line up with my formulas, now that they're corrected. However, there is one major flaw to the graphs: his numbers are based on you only buying one type of resistance. So, if you're against a completely physical damage team and only need to buy armor, it's 100% accurate. If you need to buy both mr and armor though, health is actually twice as valuable as his graphs indicate.

Me correcting my earlier post below:

If you have 500 health and add 500 more, you're adding 100% effective health. If you have 500 health and 0 resistances and add 100 resistances, you're also adding 100% effective health. However, if you have 500 health and 100 resistances and add 100 more resistances, you're not adding 100% effective health; you're only adding 100% of your base health to your effective health pool. This is because resistances are to be calculated through your base health pool, not the effective health pool (which is what you do when calculating health values).

500 health + 100 resistances = 1000 effective health. If you add 500 more health, it adds 100% of your effective health, so you now have 2000 effective health and are twice as hard to kill. But if you add 100 more resistances, that's not 1000 more effective health, it's only 500 more effective health because it's based on your base health instead, so you now have 1500 effective health compared to the 2000 you'd have from the 500 hp.

+
# 8Feanor Jul 30 2014, 20:32 PM
QUOTE(Deskwich @ Jul 30 2014, 21:27 PM) *

You're right and I'm a stupid idiot. biggrin.gif

Golden wub.gif

Buying efficient health is still very hard to do, health is universally the best buy because it shields against all sources (except % true health fuck you Vayne) but I would favour armour over magic resistance because towers deal physical damage and most, if not all, teams are based around AD.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)