Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Tales of Valor FAQ

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1William Judd Apr 13 2009, 12:41 PM
Here are some answers to commonly asked questions about the new Company of Heroes expansion Tales of Valor.

What do I get if I buy Tales of Valor?

Three campaigns: Tiger Ace, Causeway, and Falaise Pocket. Each of the campaigns are three missions long, and take approximately an hour, each to complete. All boast the new 'direct fire' feature.
  • Four multiplayer modes (or 'operations'): Classic, Stonewall, Panzerkrieg, and Assault.
  • Four multiplayer factions: Americans, Brits, Wehrmacht, and Panzer Elite.
  • Nine new units for use in multiplayer.

What are each of the modes like?

Classic: The same multiplayer mode as found in the original Company of Heroes and the Opposing Fronts expansion.
  • Stonewall: A cooperative survival mode, where you fight waves of oncoming enemies and try to hold several strategic points.
  • Panzerkrieg: A tank battle mode, where two teams of up to three players compete to destroy each others' tanks and hold points.
  • Assault: A mode similar to WarCraft 3 mod Defense of the Ancients (DOTA), where you control one hero unit against streams of computer aggressors and the opposing team's heroes.

What are each of the campaigns like?

Tiger Ace: This campaign has you commanding a single Tiger tank as you fight to take and hold the town of Villiers Bocage. Each of the five crew members in the Tiger have unique abilities that you can upgrade.
  • Causeway: This campaign allows you to take and hold a Causeway against a wave of German forces using two airborne squads, Able and Baker. Each have unique abilities that you can choose to upgrade as you gain experience.
  • Falaise Pocket: This campaign has you defend the town of Trun against a massive Allied invasion using a combination of Panzer Elite and Wehrmacht units. You also have access to a wide array of doctrinal abilities from both factions.

What multiplayer units do I get and how are they integrated into the game?

Each of the new units replaces an existing unit. Each faction gets two new units, except the Wehrmacht who also receive a re-skinned Tiger Tank upon completion of the Tiger Ace Campaign. You can mix and match any combination of new and old units between games, so if you prefer an old unit to its newer counterpart you aren't forced to use it. The new units, with the exception of the Tiger Tank 205, are statistically different and have different abilities to the units they replace. However, each fulfills approximately the same role.

The units you get are:
  • Americans: T17 Armored Car (replaces the M8), M18 Hellcat (replaces the M10).
  • Wehrmacht: Schwimmwagen Type 166 (replaces the Motorycle), Geschutzwagen (replaces the Stug IV), Tiger Tank 205 (replaces the Tiger).
  • British: Staghound Armoured Car (replaces the Cromwell Command Tank), Kangaroo Carrier (replaces the Cromwell Tank).
  • Panzer Elite: Schwimmwagen Type 128 (replaces the Kettenkrad), Hotchkiss Light Tank (replaces the Panzer IV Infantry Support Tank).

What is Direct Fire?

Direct Fire allows you to control an individual unit's shots. You activate the mode by pressing the Direct Fire button ('D'). Now, if you are controlling a turreted vehicle like a Tank, the turret will follow the cursor, which has changed into a scope symbol. You can click to fire, and right click to move. Once you fire, a progress indicator appears around the cursor letting you know how soon you can fire again. If you can't fire at a target for some reason, the cursor will have a cross through it. It is roughly the same for infantry, except without the turret.

Where can I use Direct Fire?

Direct Fire can be used in the three Tales of Valor campaigns, and one multiplayer mode, Panzerkrieg.

I have a question that isn't answered here!

Please ask it in the Company of Heroes General Discussion Forum or by leaving a comment here.

This post has been edited by VelocityGirl: Apr 13 2009, 19:30 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 2PerfectDeath Apr 13 2009, 17:31 PM
If I have OF and not the original CoH I cannot play as US and WM. So, if I buy ToV, will it allow me to play US and WM?

Because if I were to have neither CoH and OF but bought ToV I would be able to play all 4 armies (since ToV is stand alone).

So buying ToV SHOULD unlock the US and WM armies for Multiplayer...
Also, IF it does allow me to play US and WM would it restrict me to just the new units and disable the replaced ones?

Game: Novus Aeterno

+
# 3AUSOwnage Apr 13 2009, 18:30 PM
pfft.... i bought CoH for WM/AMER and OF for PE/Brit - $50 each

and ToV unlocks them all? pfftt

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4William Judd Apr 13 2009, 18:44 PM
QUOTE(PerfectDeath @ Apr 13 2009, 18:31 PM) *

If I have OF and not the original CoH I cannot play as US and WM. So, if I buy ToV, will it allow me to play US and WM?

Because if I were to have neither CoH and OF but bought ToV I would be able to play all 4 armies (since ToV is stand alone).

So buying ToV SHOULD unlock the US and WM armies for Multiplayer...
Also, IF it does allow me to play US and WM would it restrict me to just the new units and disable the replaced ones?

Buying Tales of Valor *will* unlock the US and WM armies for MP. It will also allow you to use any combination you like of the new and old units.

+
# 5PerfectDeath Apr 13 2009, 19:00 PM
Well it would suck to pay $50 for only 1/2 the content =\

Well you'd lose 1/4 of the content since there are lots of new maps, games modes, and campaigns.

and thanks for the reply VG!

+
# 6William Judd Apr 13 2009, 19:01 PM
Glad to be of assistance smile.gif I hope to see you online, and playing ToV soon biggrin.gif

+
# 7ViRnik Apr 14 2009, 07:30 AM
too bad u cant play VS computer in operation mode...

+
# 8indu Apr 14 2009, 15:45 PM
when i buy tov then can i playwith old units too like m8 or motorbyke in multiplayer ?

+
# 9William Judd Apr 14 2009, 16:19 PM
QUOTE(indu @ Apr 14 2009, 16:45 PM) *

when i buy tov then can i playwith old units too like m8 or motorbyke in multiplayer ?

Yes.

+
# 10MittinsKittens Apr 14 2009, 16:40 PM
QUOTE(indu @ Apr 14 2009, 16:45 PM) *

If you got vCoH/OF then yeah, if you Don't then no, you only have the ToV units smile.gif

+
# 11William Judd Apr 14 2009, 17:54 PM
QUOTE(Cryingwolf @ Apr 14 2009, 17:40 PM) *

If you got vCoH/OF then yeah, if you Don't then no, you only have the ToV units smile.gif

This is incorrect - you'll be able to choose between ToV and the normal units, just like everyone else who's got ToV.

+
# 12PerfectDeath Apr 17 2009, 02:54 AM
QUOTE(VelocityGirl @ Apr 13 2009, 13:01 PM) *

Glad to be of assistance smile.gif I hope to see you online, and playing ToV soon biggrin.gif

yea, when I'm not getting stomped by level 5s on assault and Panzerkrieg

I gotta figure out how, in the first 3 mins, my sherman's HP dropped 1/2 from what sounded like a Flak 88 when I was in the middle of a map near a hotchkiss.

I saw nothing resembling a flak anywhere and there was nothing in range of me.

Assault is easier for me to get a hang on, just have to find a game that doesn't rig it 3v2... you can guess which team i'm on =P

+
# 13MagpiesFlightX Apr 17 2009, 14:42 PM

good article, now could someone writ up the specs for the new units.. like how much they cost and so on..

+
# 14eightAM Aug 18 2009, 18:08 PM
I feel stupid for adding my ToV CD key to my CoH:Gold now that I know you get all four multiplayer factions with ToV. Is it possible to disassociate my ToV CD key with my CoH:Gold so that I can play online with a friend? I mean I payed $40 for CoH:Gold and $30 for ToV only to find out I could've had a second account with everything anyways.

+
# 15William Judd Aug 28 2009, 10:38 AM
It's not possible to do within the game, but maybe try emailing/calling relic customer support and asking them?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)