Supreme Commander 2

Why do we have to use steam to play the game?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1IPoWNYoU Mar 7 2010, 12:13 PM
Why do we have to use steam to play the game? Its outrageous if you ask me, I paid $50USD for this game at gamestop and then I have to download it to my pc from steam just so I can play it. It's just a fucking hassle.

This post has been edited by Raider_OwnZ^: Mar 7 2010, 12:17 PM

Clan: Team|Alias

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2Nephyrex Mar 7 2010, 14:35 PM
You're downloading the update, not the game. The game had a big update the day of its release.

Steam is to prevent piracy and help distro the game online. Personally, I love Steam. It's like having a virtual hard drive. I can just download whatever games I have registered with them to any computer anywhere and play them. Never have to worry about losing your cds/keys.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 3Coldplay- Mar 7 2010, 14:42 PM
So GPG can make more money instead of spending it on anti-piracy shit?

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 4IPoWNYoU Mar 7 2010, 15:30 PM
QUOTE(Nephyrex @ Mar 7 2010, 10:35 AM) *

You're downloading the update, not the game. The game had a big update the day of its release.

Steam is to prevent piracy and help distro the game online. Personally, I love Steam. It's like having a virtual hard drive. I can just download whatever games I have registered with them to any computer anywhere and play them. Never have to worry about losing your cds/keys.

how big is the update? because I got it to 620MB and then I paused it because it was only 12% done in 1 hour's time and I wanted to play Kanes Wrath because I was really bored.

This post has been edited by Raider_OwnZ^: Mar 7 2010, 15:31 PM

+
# 5Sovietpride Mar 7 2010, 15:32 PM
Steam hardly stops piracy.
Look at Empire total war, or any of the other "steam neccessary" titles. They're all over torrent sites just like any non-steam game.
I think its more for the money making potential than anything.
DOWII stated faster patches and stuff, but that turned out to be a pile of garbage <.<

+
# 6Nephyrex Mar 7 2010, 15:43 PM
You're probably right.

+
# 7Blazehitup Mar 7 2010, 21:05 PM
To annoy its fans is why they put it on steam as a 4gig download on launch day which is rediculous. Steams Major problem is that on Tuesday (launch days) their servers arnt equiped to handle the player base. That is why steam fails, when a game launch's on tuesday i expect to play the game asap especially if i bought it at gamestop... not have to wait till that evening or the next day to finally play. STEAM = FAIL for Launching games on launch day.

+
# 8Ash9y Mar 7 2010, 22:04 PM
They did allow preloading.

So no slot queing on download day!

Downloaded mine a week before....
(Just activated on the day)

Game: Left 4 Dead

+
# 9Tsunami_49 Mar 7 2010, 22:06 PM
QUOTE(Sovietpride @ Mar 7 2010, 16:32 PM) *

Steam hardly stops piracy.
Look at Empire total war, or any of the other "steam neccessary" titles. They're all over torrent sites just like any non-steam game.
I think its more for the money making potential than anything.
DOWII stated faster patches and stuff, but that turned out to be a pile of garbage <.<

DOWII delays are nothing to do with steam but require validation from GFWL.

Clan: The Rally Point

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 10wneubert Mar 7 2010, 22:21 PM
Since I am not an insider, I don't "know" what was behind steam. I got theories.

It is likely that reduced piracy was a factor. Even if you steal the game, most of the online multiplayer will be via steam, and it may be hard to join without a key.

Another factor was probably that they don't need to build and support a huge internet system with bandwidth for millions of multi-gigabyte patches.

Steam also provides them with forums and community support, plus it adds an achievement system for the players.

The size of the patch makes me think that GPG released the DVD before they were done, figuring they would be ready by launch date. This would also explain why some things are missing (like Skirmish save). I am thinking they were labeled as "not necessary to play" so last to get done.

You could either be upset with them for doing this, or be happy because you get the game 3 months earlier, with the only penalty being a few hours to load the patch. I am choosing the "happy" route, plus if it came out the same time as Starcraft, it would be bad for sales and formation of a community.

+
# 11Masked Mar 8 2010, 00:25 AM
I installed the game, and it rquired most of the stuff to be downloaded.
Steam doesn't stop piracy.

Clan: Ani-Fags

Game: None

+
# 12Sovietpride Mar 8 2010, 09:04 AM
QUOTE(Tsunami_49 @ Mar 7 2010, 23:06 PM) *

DOWII delays are nothing to do with steam but require validation from GFWL.

i know that, but when THEY (DOWII guys) answered why they wanted to use steam, they said "faster patches" >.>
Could soemone tell me though, how is steam's patching faster than any other?

oh, and pre-load ftw =D

+
# 13StandaaR` Mar 8 2010, 10:10 AM
Ah to bad i don't wonna make a account on Steam. Well whatever i really want to play the game.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 14Sovietpride Mar 8 2010, 13:28 PM
what's wrong with making an account on Steam?

only real fuss i can see with it is that if your account is stolen, then everythings stolen <.> and they take ages to get back to you.

+
# 15wneubert Mar 8 2010, 15:19 PM
QUOTE(masKeD @ Mar 8 2010, 00:25 AM) *

I installed the game, and it rquired most of the stuff to be downloaded.
Steam doesn't stop piracy.

Since I don't need my DVD to play, GPG must be expecting Steam to provide the DRM for this game. I did say it would "reduce" piracy, not stop it.

If you're really saying "DRM doesn't work", I tend to agree with that, but it isn't a GPG or Steam issue. At least with Steam, for once the DRM doesn't inconvience me, while not working.

Someone mentioned "faster patches" with Steam. I'm not sure what was meant, but with Steam, once a patch is out, you get the patch the first time you play. And Steam was able to fully saturate my internet bandwidth when downloading the patch, on launch day where everyone was downloading multi-gigabytes. Blizzard can't come close to that.

+
# 16FrankHorrigan Mar 8 2010, 15:34 PM
Steam provides digital rights management along with a whole host of customer value features like the steam friends system (very handy in any game with multiplayer lobbies) and download conveniance+ free community forums.

If we have to have a form of drm (which is fine as all other industries are able to manage their rights) at least steam doesnt take the piss out of paying customers.

+
# 17patches(2) Mar 8 2010, 18:48 PM
For me the answer is quite obvious... I have downloaded a fair bit of software through Steam. Just recently infact, I downloaded MW2 through it. Yes I was majorally dissapointed with the release date issues and waiting around to play when others had the hard copy were off playing it... but....

I will would never consider messing with my steam account... by that I mean I would never install a pirated game that even came close to messing with it... I have invested money into my account by buying games through it and would not want to have my account banned for piracy.

Yes it won't stop all... but but will stop many. Likewise assuming that Steam & Valve have similar ethics... they are not scared or shy about banning those who cheat or pirate.

Plus your games are safe. I once had my steam account hacked... an email later with my credit card proof of purchase... and I was back up and runnning!

+
# 18IPoWNYoU Mar 8 2010, 20:52 PM
QUOTE(Blazehitup @ Mar 7 2010, 17:05 PM) *

To annoy its fans is why they put it on steam as a 4gig download on launch day which is rediculous. Steams Major problem is that on Tuesday (launch days) their servers arnt equiped to handle the player base. That is why steam fails, when a game launch's on tuesday i expect to play the game asap especially if i bought it at gamestop... not have to wait till that evening or the next day to finally play. STEAM = FAIL for Launching games on launch day.

omg thats stupid, its like getting a wrapper with no candybar, or the candybar without the wrapper.

+
# 19Bridger Mar 8 2010, 22:02 PM
QUOTE(Standard` @ Mar 8 2010, 06:10 AM) *

Ah to bad i don't wonna make a account on Steam. Well whatever i really want to play the game.

I don't understand this mentality. Did you make an account for GPGnet? You have to make an account with whatever matchmaking service the game uses. In this case, it's using steam as the matchmaking service/community support. How is that any different from them using GPGnet for SC1?

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 20Soupcan2 Mar 10 2010, 00:50 AM
Man you corporate fanboys need a slap to the head, steam DRM is bullshit. Gamers have a right to own their games outright and not report back to the mothership. The fact that to play LAN requires an internet connection to the mothership is bullshit. In fact it should be required by law that after the sales period DRM goes away for features like LAN play, since customers bought the game. They have a right to play their product where and when without monitoring and spying by publishers and developers.

Not only that Steam and online services like it they want to take away your rights by streaming games over the net, if and when that happens I'm lawsuiting the gaming industry. I deserve to own my stuff and use it as I see fit when and where without being spied on.

Certain gamers make me wish for eugenics.

This post has been edited by Soupcan2: Mar 10 2010, 00:54 AM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)