Red Alert 3

Hotkey map

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1GiantMammoth Feb 3 2012, 22:20 PM
Hey

I would like to setup the hotkeys in Red Alert 3 as described in the this article http://www.gamereplays.org/redalert3/porta...ko-hotkey-guide
But the hotkeys f1-12 is setup buy default to control the sidepanel-building menu. Therefore I can't change f1-12 role/function as described in hotkey.
So my question is, do anyone know how to change the role/function of the hotkey f1-12 in Red Alert 3

Best Regards
Giant Mammoth

+
# 2Destructo Feb 13 2012, 09:42 AM
Honestly you're better off asking that question in the topic you made in the G.D because more people will answer there.

You might also try talking to zokker and FFF who seem to know a lot about computers and stuff, might be worth asking them directly.

As far as my knowledge of these things goes, you can't use the F keys for mouse buttons or what ever, just things like w f z c but my knowledge is very limited.

Ask this in the G.D topic, or PM the two members I mentioned smile.gif

Clan: TNG-

Game: None

+
# 3FFF Jun 1 2012, 20:38 PM
Destructo is right, I have a large PC know-how, so I am the right person for you wink.gif

If you are still reading this, GiantMammoth.

Use freeware software Sharpkeys (latest version 3.5) available for download here http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys35.msi install it.

With this sofware you are able to redefine keyboard layout just the way you like, for example, you could assign "F1" to "1". For example if you press "1", in a text editor, "windows help window" will pop up instead of number 1 appearing in the text field, because now the button "1" reacts as "F1" and not "1" anymore wink.gif

If you still do not understand, add me on skype. My skype is: musayev1
I will try to help you from there.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 4zokker13 Jun 5 2012, 09:56 AM
I'd not try to use and 3rd party software like Sharpkeys to modify your registry. I'm not sure how this works exactly but it seems to hook your input and send another key.

Basically this is a good method to simulate other keys.
The main question is, does this also affect directx games?
Directx Keycodes are different as Virtual Keycodes.

Anyway, this program ~obviously~ hooks mthe key for your entire system (e.g. you press key [F1] you send [key E]) that will blow up our entire system and that's probably bad if you don't know how to change that.

I searched around and found a Hotkey.ini in the %Appdata% folder.
So open your Explorer and type in %appdata% in the pathfield.
(You'll be in somethin like this: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming)

Then navigate to the 'Red Alert 3' folder.
You're in? Fine! Go into 'Profiles' and enter your Profilenames folder.
Open the hotkeys.ini and edit it.
It seems like RA3 can't visual some keys ingame which is pretty ridiculous.

I could write a program to edit these keys with a good view of the keys and what the function of 'Attackmove' is for instance.
If enough people want it I'll make it!

Have fun.

Clan: TNG-

+
# 5FFF Jun 10 2012, 00:03 AM
Zokker, the software, which I recommended is totally safe wink.gif

The only problem, is that for example whenever you want key "1" in windows enviroment and you changed "1" to react like "F1" with the software, you will have to use numeric keypad instead or wirtual keyboard.

Other than that, software works fine for me, I changed "left windows button" to act like "left alt" so real "left alt" and real "left windows button" react both as "left alt". Because often I miss-press windows button instead of alt, when trying to do waypoint mode in game, and this minimizes my game biggrin.gif and I don't want that.

You can return the registry to it's previous standard position at any time with this software, just delete all the key mappings and click "write to registry", log off, log in and you are good to go again and everything is standard, if you somehow messed up. So this software is 100% safe wink.gif

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)