Films to watch

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 2641UNr34L Jan 20 2015, 16:06 PM
QUOTE(Oreb @ Jan 20 2015, 05:07 AM) *
For starters, ignoring whatever pilot they had been training the past ten years or however long the project was under way, and taking on the guy who hadn't so much as flown anything since it was shut down or was overly familiar with space flight. Giving him no training and just shooting him off to space.They clearly already had pilots, but somehow he's the chosen one (once again).
Well, it is implied that Cooper was already a well known pilot and an excellent mechanic. That they were also running out of time, and that the project was very secret so they couldn't just go around advertising for spots. It was also possibly in the process of being scrapped due to limited funds, so in the end, the hasty decision wasn't COMPLETELY unreasonable.

Heck, could've also made it so he at least had six months training and in turn gave more time to develop the characters far better than they honestly did.
On this I agree sort of. It would have served a good purpose for character development. On the other hand nothing is perfect, and when I was watching the movie I did kinda feel the introduction dragged on a little too much.

Not to mention the water planet. First of all, its been proven the bots can fly the plane independently and do things independently. They could've sent one down and done everything needed with it and gotten out. Not wasting all the time that they did.

But with what they actually did, they could've not had that one guy die. They surveyed the landscape without actually checking, just making assumptions on a foreign planet. The woman who was so far from the ship managed to make it back, and get inside (along with the bot) before the guy who was standing beside it the whole time could get in, now thats poor as hell writing.

Not to mention they could have just sent the bot to collect the data upon landing in the first place once again.
Mate that's a poorly thought point. First of all as Derek pointed out, there would STILL be time dilation, while they were running out of time.

And there was absolutely no way they could know things would turn awry. The astronaut's signal was still broadcasting.

It would've been much better if it showed them approaching him as a pilot and ignoring all the ghost junk and in turn that ending.
Or if they sticked to the original idea and the ghost was an extraterrestrial. Both would have been fine by me.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 2642Engi Jan 21 2015, 01:32 AM
QUOTE(Oreb @ Jan 20 2015, 21:58 PM) *
The whole movie just reeks of examples of idiocy from the scientists for plot-convenience only.
What are minovsky particles for one billion dollarydoos.

Clan: Ani-Fags

Game: None

+
# 2643Oreb Jan 21 2015, 01:35 AM
Mate that's a poorly thought point. First of all as Derek pointed out, there would STILL be time dilation, while they were running out of time.

And there was absolutely no way they could know things would turn awry. The astronaut's signal was still broadcasting.

Yes, seven years versus the twenty-three they lost. Massive difference there. They could've done so much in that seven years while the one bot went down to collect data and confirm before returning. They could've travelled to the other two planets and confirmed everything there as well.

Let alone the point about them not realising the time-dilation effected the beacon as well, once again, idiocy for the sake of the plot. Its rife with it.

It's a poor mans 7/10 at best, but a 6/10 from me.

Game: Hardware

+
# 2644UNr34L Jan 21 2015, 13:38 PM
They couldn't KNOW the planet was dangerous because the astronaut's signal was still broadcasting. If they sent a drone they would STILL have to go down and talk to the scientist, so given the information they had, it was the best choice. I mean they could theoretically drop a drone and go explore the other planets, but didn't they give a reason why they didn't do that? I remember some argument going on but that part of the film is a bit foggy. I think they said that it was the best chance to contain life, or that it was the fastest time-wise or something like that cause the other planets were too close to the sun.

This post has been edited by UNr34L: Jan 21 2015, 13:46 PM

Game: Generals 2

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)