Company of Heroes

Smurfs

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41Wampire Mar 27 2012, 10:00 AM
QUOTE(Tommy952 @ Jan 4 2012, 20:23 PM) *

I don't think that's the reason anyone good remakes their account. They do it because they go on a losing streak for whatever reason and decide they need some practise where they won't get prideposted for losing, then make another 'proper' account to start levelling again.

i fucking hate this..

Game: None

+
# 42Wampire Mar 27 2012, 10:40 AM
QUOTE(AlphaFisherman @ Jan 12 2012, 13:35 PM) *

I agree it would be better if there was one account, there wouldn't be an issue at all. Im being a bit hypocritical though because I did technically used to smurf, but I always always always give smurf honor, because I know how frustrating it is to come up against one.

For the love of god smurfs out there, unless your opponent played horribly please give smurf honor <3

Respect! wink.gif

Game: None

+
# 43Collosis Mar 27 2012, 11:03 AM
I don't get the whole "smurf honour" thing.

I play to enjoy the game, not get wins. If I play a top ranked player who's mascarading as a level 8, I don't want to spend the whole game getting beaten to a pulp, only for the opponant to quit when he's about to win with the VPs at 500-10.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 44Tretton Jul 14 2012, 16:53 PM
Some people defend smurfing by saying things like "its just a game" or "I just play for fun". Thats totally irrellevant input. Everyone plays for fun and sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose and so on, BUT the game has this rankingsystem built for matchmaking fun and interesting games. Onesided fights are not fun! Spending 30min kicking ass or getting getting asskicked is totally NOT fun.*

DONT SMURF!

If you want to try new strats or stuff like that - skirmish, or classig match, or why not just take it like a man and loose your automatches while "testing".

+
# 45Free-Prisoner Jul 19 2012, 06:23 AM
One day when I run into one of these "smurfs" I'm going to beat them to a bloody pulp.

They sound like total freaking pricks.

Clan: LAID

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 46xIronCrossx Jul 21 2012, 08:21 AM
QUOTE(Free-Prisoner @ Jul 19 2012, 02:23 AM) *

One day when I run into one of these "smurfs" I'm going to beat them to a bloody pulp.

Come at me bro, I'm ready. wub.gif

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 47DanielD Jul 22 2012, 01:23 AM
QUOTE(Free-Prisoner @ Jul 18 2012, 22:23 PM) *

Uh oh I seen you on your webcam you must be 300 lbs if I am ever smurfing in real life and I see you I will log off (run away).

All the people still complaining have clearly ignored all the posts explaining how matchmaking works. There are only 10 people or so searching 1v1 usually, and the programming for the matchmaking sucks. I get lvl 5-10 players on my lvl 16 accounts just as often as I do on a lvl 1 account.

+
# 48xxxricketycricketxxx Jul 22 2012, 21:57 PM
Then how does it exactly work? When you see 149 (as an example) people looking for automatch in the news tab of CoH, then when you are waiting for a game it only shows you 20 people combined waiting as well, where are the other 129?

+
# 49GoodToGo Jul 23 2012, 06:10 AM
QUOTE(Tretton @ Jul 14 2012, 20:53 PM) *

Some people defend smurfing by saying things like "its just a game" or "I just play for fun". Thats totally irrellevant input. Everyone plays for fun and sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose and so on, BUT the game has this rankingsystem built for matchmaking fun and interesting games. Onesided fights are not fun! Spending 30min kicking ass or getting getting asskicked is totally NOT fun.*

DONT SMURF!

If you want to try new strats or stuff like that - skirmish, or classig match, or why not just take it like a man and loose your automatches while "testing".

This x 10000000

QUOTE(xxxricketycricketxxx @ Jul 23 2012, 01:57 AM) *

Then how does it exactly work? When you see 149 (as an example) people looking for automatch in the news tab of CoH, then when you are waiting for a game it only shows you 20 people combined waiting as well, where are the other 129?

That includes 2v2, AT and panzerkreig as well.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 50Jeep. Jul 26 2012, 16:02 PM
QUOTE(Tretton @ Jul 14 2012, 17:53 PM) *

DONT SMURF!

It seems like your main argument against smurfing is it's not fun to play onesided games. Smurfs in this matter have nothing to do with that. Your highest ranked profiles determines your match-ups, thus Smurfing has nothing to do with this.
Let people smurf if they want, it's no matter. Just play the game, you can't even see what level he is once you're in the game, so why even care?

Clan: Allstars

+
# 51steelbucket Aug 2 2012, 14:09 PM
QUOTE(Ztormi @ Jan 5 2012, 17:11 PM) *

As far as I know, the automatch still gives you opponents of same skill level as your highest account whether you are smurfing or not.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like it won't take many wins to creep up to your highest level again when you are smurfing.

I agree.
I simply take it as read that if I get a single striper opponent (or single pip etc) then that player is smurfing. I automatically assume that any opponent is of broadly similar ability regardless of rank.

9 times out of 10 the game play will quickly confirm this but every now and then the opponent really is a "noob".
Having said that it sometimes swings the other way and occasionally Relic will match me up against a 3 star general or te like.

+
# 52Saltensis Aug 2 2012, 15:38 PM
As automatcher your oppenent will be based on your hidden skilllevel.
So even,when smurfing you"ll get your skilllevel oppenents,
Ofcourse you can get matched up against noobs, but even non-smurfs get that,
I"m lvl 12 and get matched vs 16"s where most of them win.
But if you"re getting ass-kicked by someone with the same level, remember:
maybe youjust had a bad round or did he just rangdown. Or as last option:
Maybe the matching oool is nearly empty and the system HAS to match you.

+
# 53rocketracer Oct 7 2012, 09:47 AM
Smurfing is for cowards.

+
# 54RonaldDumsfeld Oct 9 2012, 14:12 PM
As far as I know, the automatch still gives you opponents of same skill level as your highest account whether you are smurfing or not.

This is misinformation at best and in the main a downright lie perpetuated by self justifying arseholes looking for an excuse for their own selfishness.

To repeat, hopefully but without much expectation.

When you first start a new profile in order to smurf your highest rank on other profiles does have an effect on your 'assumed' points total. However, thereafter the automatcher comes increasing to rely on your 'actual' points total. So on average you are matched against lower level opponents than you would be on your public profiles. Lets face it. That's the real reason most people smurf.

It's easy to prove to yourself this is true, unless you are in denial.

Play on a profile until you get close to 1:1 stats. Then start a new profile from scratch. You will then get close to 4:1 stats until you get back to your previous best rank. It's no coincidence the ladder is stuffed with players down as low as lvl 10 with stats similar to 20 wins:5 loses.

So called 'smurfs honour' is a bag of arse as well. It's really a form of cronyism. What's the point in giving your mates free points when all it means is you will then get matched against some poor cunt miles below your true level next game? Smurfs Honour at least had some justification back in the day before there was a stop loss minimal points deduction no matter how much lower rank your opponent had and points lost didn't bear some relation to the 'assumed' rank on a profile. That was years and years ago though.

If we are to have a debate on the rights and wrongs of smurfing let's at least confine ourselves to the facts.

The ability to recreate multiple profiles at will almost certainly encourages experienced players to play more often and for longer. Conversely, it may well have a discouraging effect on potential new players taking up the game.

Realistically smurfing is the reason CoH has such a dedicated long term player base but that player base is tiny. Perhaps we shall see when CoH2 comes out that people will not play the new game for quite so long but with a bit of luck far, far more people will give it a try. We shall see.

Clan: Stomach Battalion

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)