Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1HERO Aug 16 2006, 21:21 PM
Axis Guide to MG Ownage
Relocation, deployment and pinning
IPB Image

IPB Image
MG42 Heavy Machine Gun - 260 Manpower
Good vs Infantry
An MG42 Heavy Machine Gun with a fire rate of 1200 rounds per minute can devastate Enemy Infantry.

Preface: The MG42 is a dangerous tool when used against Allied Rifleman or any sort of enemy Infantry. With its incredible rate of fire and awesome pinning abilities, the Axis Machine Gun can rip through enemy foot soldiers like a hot knife through butter. Because of their long deployment and set-up times, a player must be very careful how he uses his Machine Guns. Just like all other heavy infantry that needs time to set up their fire, they are exceptionally vulnerable to flanking and Sniping. MGs can be garrisoned to give them heavy protection, and they can be set up on all different forms of cover to increase their life span.

IPB Image

Relocation and Placement: One of the biggest threats to the MG crew is their predictability. Often times players load their MG crew into a building and leave them there - hoping that more infantry will come into the lion's den. This is a very bad idea. MGs are your first and last defense against swarms of infantry, and leaving them in a predictable place is a perfect way to get them killed. Notice the screenshot above, after the first wave of Allied infantry, I took my MG crew out of their defensive location (red arrow symbolizes MG movement) and moved them into a more aggressive location. Because they're located closer towards enemy activity, your MG crew is able to back up and offer supporting fire for your other infantry. If the enemy advances (blue arrow symbolizes Allied Infantry movement) in hopes to kill off your retreating batch of soldiers, your MG crew will make short of them.

IPB Image

By relocating your men, you also offer the enemy a unpresent suprise everytime. Notice how this MG unit moves from place to place, taking shelter behind any cover that he can find, waiting to ambush Allied troops as they advance. The screenshot above shows how this MG crew moved from his defensive location from the right side of the house to a more aggresive location; completely covering a choke point from Allied control.

IPB Image

Cover and Assist: Often times your Axis Infantry and Pioneers are overwhelmed in the early stages of the game where Allied Infantry hold superiority. That's where your offensive MG crews must take effect. Simply retreat your troopers into a smart deployed MG location and just let the bullets fly. Because of the MG's impressive rate of fire, Allied troops will be forced to the ground, giving your Infantry either the cover they need, or the opening they need to finish off the supressed enemy infantry. Take this screenshot for example: The Allied Infantry pushed my Volks and Pioneers from the top VP, instantly flushing me out of the Point Sector, chasing me into the grassy fields ahead. I take my MG unit that came from my base and pre-deploy him under medium cover, offering him a wide open field to supress and hold the enemy infantry while my other units finish the job. Because of this, I'm no longer on the retreat and I can continue onto the victory point; recapturing it for the Reich.

IPB Image

Pinning and Flanking: In the above screenshot, a MG crew deploys onto the invading Allied Schwein and opens fire; pinning them at the Victory Point sector. When enemy units are pinned, they simply take cover; unable to fight back or do anything but retreat. Because of this key factor, Axis players can quickly engage (notice the Volks moving to a clear line of sight/shot) the pinned enemy targets and dispose of them with ease. Just get your units in a clear line of sight and let loose with Rifle-fire onto the helpless targets. If your units are equipped with MP40s or other close-range Sub-Machine Guns (SMGs), simply order them to get close and circle strafe behind the enemy units to maximize damage and effectivness.

This post has been edited by HERO: Aug 18 2006, 14:09 PM

Clan: EPIC

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2AfTeRShoCk Aug 21 2006, 12:10 PM
Nice guide smile.gif

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 3Utred Aug 21 2006, 12:38 PM
QUOTE(AfTeRShoCk @ Aug 21 2006, 02:10 PM) *
Nice guide smile.gif

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 4AfTeRShoCk Aug 21 2006, 15:04 PM
I used your guide on mg movement in a game now and i have to say i'm stunned at the effectiveness. People are scared of a certain spot because you had the MG in it earlier, while in the meanwhile you have the MG stationed somewhere else. I'd recommend this for any Axis player to make your MG's that much more effective.

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 5Aegy Sep 2 2006, 22:05 PM
Definately a good idea. I've been countering the weak German earlygame with a hidden holding-fire sniper in the field with a HMG team garrisoned in a house, but it kind of kills your resources, although its viable. I'm definately going to try out this much-more cost efficient way of using the Axis HMG team.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 6Cann0nball Sep 11 2009, 03:44 AM
As much as I hate guys who necro threads. This is one good thread LOL.

going to lock since my idea of necroing was actually stupid.

This post has been edited by Cann0nball: Sep 11 2009, 03:46 AM

Game: Red Alert 3

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)