Explore GameReplays...

Command and Conquer 3

German community interviews Mike Verdu

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MrYuRi Aug 30 2006, 20:34 PM
Many thanks to MaKauTZ, Prochnow, FiX and Dackel for translating the text from German to English. Also many thanks to DonCarlo, who corrected the mistakes which were done while translating smile.gif

Last weekend the largest expo for video games in Europe took place in Leipzig:
The Games Convention. And it was going to be a great event for every C&C fan.

As in the last few years, known community projects have been invited to Leipzig from EA to exchange their plans and ideas or just to have a party. EA had lots of presentations, in which C&C 3 was a very important part of course. Several times there were live presentations of the game and the producers answered every question from the community in a lot of detail.

One of the highlights of the whole weekend surely was the CT-Award Party. At that party, people were honoured for doing a great job for their community. Among others things, Louis Castle, Mike Verdu, Aaron Kaufmann and the well known Quake player Jonathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel were present. Beside many guests from the German community, like MyersGer or MrYuRi, there were also Olaf van der Spek and DonCarlo from Strike-Team. DonCarlo used the chance to show her incredible Soul-Singing talents.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

In the following text we have got a very special present for you: During the Games Convention, Junker, MrYuRi and LabZ got the opportunity to interview Mike Verdu, the executive Producer of C&C Tiberium Wars. Considering Mike Verdu's words, eSports will play a very important role on C&C. Have fun. It is worth reading it.

IPB Image IPB Image

Have you planned to announce a demo for C&C3?
A single-player demo will be published for sure. Depending on whether there is time or not, a multiplayer demo will be released as well. In Any case at least 1 demo will be released. The advantage of a demo is that it can be played by everyone as opposed to a beta version.

How will the installation of C&C3 pass off?
The first C&C-Games and also the Red-Alert parts included awesome intro videos, which were shown during the installation, in order to introduce the player into the game. In the first place there should be also intro videos for C&C3. Unfortunately, it looks like that there will be a regular installation program.

Herounits. Yes or no?
There will be several commandos, who have varying and extraordinary abilities.

Will the maps in C&C3 be bigger than those in C&C Generals and BfME2?
Yes, the maps in C&C3 will exceed the maps of BfME2.

Will the players be able to contort the terrain just like in Tiberian Sun?
It was a great idea, but had drawbacks. The current Engine can't transpose the deformation of the area by weapons or other things.

Will there be a comeback of interesting missions?
”It's very important, that the missions sit well with the story of Command & Conquer. For that reason there will be various mission targets. We are thinking about 30 different missions in the single player modus, (10 for each faction). But that can still change, as the work on the missions is starting right now. “We want to create more then only such missions, where one starts somewhere, builds up his base and destroys the base of his opponent. In a few missions one will only start with some units without being able to build a base, just like the Commando missions on the first Command & Conquer. Many people love these missions. There will be very special tactically oriented missions in that one must think up the best way to attack the opponent at first to reach the mission target. Of course there will also be the typical base vs. base missions again.”(Verdu)

What are you going to do against cheaters?
”We are focused on that problem and we’re discussing several possibilities such as Punkbuster. But we’re probably not going to use Punkbuster. I hate to say it, but at the moment I can’t say what the answer to that problem will be. I’m sorry.“ (Verdu).

How is the support going to look like? What about Patches?
”We take support very serious and there will be patches again and again. In the past the support was rather bad, but we want to change that. Even after the release of the Add-On for Battle for Middle Earth 2 we’re going to deliver more patches for the original game.” (Verdu)

Will there be a ladder system for both single and team players?
”In Battle for Middle Earth 2 we got good experience with Clanwars, which was very cool. But for the next Command & Conquer we’re looking for another solution. We want to support clans very much. We intend to implement new options, such as a big spectator mode with which thousands of people can both watch one single game and big tourney matches as well. In that mode spectators can control the camera themselves” (Verdu). Additionally one will be able to watch games with a little program without owning the full version of the game!

Will there be something like the Generals abilities?
”Special abilities are connected to structures. One can order an air strike and one can order special units. Each party has typical abilities. The GDI will have the Ion cannon and NOD will have the atomic rocket. A timer will show each player then the super weapon is ready.

Will there be a limit of units?
A limit of units is not my thing indeed. You can build as many tanks, as you want. So, there will be no limit at all” (Verdu). Addition: except the technical restriction by the performance of course.

Are the harvesters still that dumb?
“You can rely on that” (Verdu). The harvesters stay dumb, as their job is to harvest Tiberium and not to fight intelligently.

What kind of Tiberium creatures will come back? Will there be new ones?
There will definitely be both old and new Tiberium creatures, that will all be transformed by Tiberium.

Why is there blue Tiberium anyway?
(Mike laughs): „Well, two important things came together. On the one hand we wanted to create a resource that is very valuable. The maps shall be made interesting and challenging. With the blue Tiberium you can get way more money in a shorter amount of time then with the green one, that you can find nearly everywhere. There will also be some weapons using the blue Tiberium to increase their damage. The atomic rocket will be even more powerful then. The blue Tiberium is highly explosive and you should handle it very carefully. Additionally the community asked for the blue Tiberium again and again. So, I can tell the community: Yes, it is back!”

Do Tiberium fields keep on growing?
Yes, they will grow further, if you don’t harvest them.

Will there be a difference in game-play while playing in a different zone?
„In the beginning we thought about that, but finally we gave up on that idea. In red zones you will find Tiberium everywhere. It is really everywhere, but is not at a high level of concentration. In the blue zones you will find Tiberium too, but at a very high level of concentration and just in small areas. Because of the game-play it is very important, that it is been done in this way.” (Verdu) Every player should have the possibility to play with his favourite army on his favourite map, regardless of how much Tiberium is on a map. Therefore, on every map there is the same amount of Tiberium, but there will be a difference in how much Tiberium is spread and what is the level of concentration in the different zones.

Where is the ladderkit? It was promised to the release of Generals and it never has been released. What could/can you say about that?
„Oh… I understand, that it has disappointed you, but sadly I can say nothing regarding to that.” (Verdu)
Note: One day after our interview, Mike Verdu apologized, in the name of EALA and the whole development team, at the official C&C Community Convention in front of the whole C&C community for all the back and forth and the disaster with the Generals ladderkit! Even though he could nothing for that!

What could you say to the third faction?
*Mike laughs* „Well, there you have to be patient for a few months. We are working currently on the third faction and they will be very interesting. Many units can be combined with each other to get new skills. Also they can rip off the Nod-Flamthrowertanks weapon and put it on to use it against their enemies.” (Verdu)

How many actors will be in the full motion video sequences?
“There are six main actors. One of them is Joe Kucan. Alongside there will be a lot of supporting actors like the news reporter and soldiers. We want to link the story through the full motion videos and missions.” (Verdu)

When did you hear of Command & Conquer for the first time?
„I love this franchise. For me it is a big privilege to work on C&C 3. In 1995, when the first title was released, I sat two days and two nights in front of my monitor. Then I was 29 years old and today we have three generations working on the newest Command & Conquer. Jim Vessella is 23 years old and played C&C for the first time at the age of 12, however I am one of the oldest generation.” (Verdu)

What will happen after C&C 3? Will there be another C&C titles?
„So far there are a lot of stories in the games about Tiberium. It is such a great universe with the GDI, Nod and the third party, which we will introduce soon. The earth is nearly complete infested by Tiberium, there are only a few areas, where life is been able, named ‘blue zones’. These seem to be the best places in the world. There is GDI presence. In the ‘yellow zones’ there are also living humans. They live there in a lot of poverty and misery and they are really jealous of the ‘blue zones’ of the GDI. They also want to live like that and Nod is promising that. Because of that Nod has many supporters. Kane is indeed the really bad guy. He uses the humans, that are living in the ‘yellow zones’, and the Brotherhood of Nod for his own objectives and intentions. There are some in Kane’s inner circle, that think different about Nod and they are in conflict with Kane. This all makes it such an interesting universe. Other Command & Conquer titles are waiting to return. At the moment I can not say more about that.” *sweaty smile of Mike* (Verdu)

How serious do you take the German C&C community? Which one is the best?
„Oh, that is really a nasty question. The community in our part of the world is very important, but also the other communities in the other parts of the world are very important to us. It is admirable, that so many German fans are addicted to the C&C franchise. Also it is very impressive, that ten years past the release there are such a lot of original C&C fans that have such a big interest in the new C&C. We would not be here with a whole team in Germany, in the way we are here right now, showing for the first time Nod worldwide and taking questions from the German community, if we were not aware of that. We are aware of all requests from Germany in the last few months and we brought Joe Kucan back, we looked after the game-play, we worked on the story of Nod and GDI, we brought the sidebar back to where the fans wanted it, and blue Tiberium returned too. We take the German community seriously, because the wishes from here are very important for the game.” (Verdu)

How far is the development point?
„Nod and GDI are as far as they can play each other. The artificial intelligence runs also, but is very early in the development process. We are working, at the moment, on the single player mission and the third party. Release has been set for 2007, but as you could see from this demo at GC, there is a lot of work left.” (Verdu)

How many employees are working on Command & Conquer right now?
The RTS-team at EALA is currently 100 people strong. This is a new record, because never before were so many people working on a RTS game in this studio (maybe whole EA?).

Will there be an option to disable super weapons before a match starts, or to limit it to build just one?
„In the multiplayer you can build just one super weapon and in the game lobby you can choose to enable or disable super weapons.“ (Kaufman)

Are there gates and walls to save your base?
„Yes, you can build walls.“ (Ajami)

Can you ally within a game or have you to set up the teams in the game lobby?
At the moment that is not possible and it was not thought on. But to change that, that you can ally within a game, is a very interesting option I want to try to include.” (Ajami)

Further facts in summary:

- According to Mike Verdu E-Sports will play an important role? When questioned how important the multiplayer in the new C&C will be, he revealed that they will pay a lot of attention to the quality of the game-play and the multiplayer features. There will be a multiplayer spectator mode, through which thousands of players can watch one game live at once. Regular support also plays a major role according to Mike Verdu. Regular Patches shall resolve in a positive overall result.

- There won't be mobile bases in the game. "We have been testing that feature, but it was too imbalanced, so we left it out" (Verdu).

- The work on Tiberium Wars has begun last year already

- System requirements will be similar to BFME2

- There will be promotions for the units just as in the older C&C games

- rock-scissors-paper system

- Marine will only be available in single-player, including battleship and aircraft carrier. Reason is that the developers of BFME2 did include a sea system (after hard work), but no body wanted to use it.

- Settings will differ from the GC demonstration version. Reloading of the obelisk e.g. was very short, which of course will be changed – as well as strength of the other defensive building, flame tank vs infantry, starting cash, etc.

- The Command & Conquer 3 logo will be changed and the classical “&” will return.

This post has been edited by MrYuRi: Aug 30 2006, 20:42 PM

Game: Generals 2

+
# 2YKudzA Aug 30 2006, 20:40 PM
#$@%#$^@#^
Great !!!! I`m reading

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Act of Aggression

+
# 3Vendetta Aug 30 2006, 20:53 PM
Great post MrYuri. smile.gif This hardly raises my hopes for CnC3 though. sad.gif

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 4TeeToo Aug 30 2006, 20:53 PM
wow thats really worth reading..
Many units can be combined with each other to get new skills. Also they can rip off the Nod-Flamthrowertanks weapon and put it on to use it against their enemies

man this w'll be so fun

This post has been edited by TeeToo: Aug 30 2006, 20:55 PM

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 5Shalashaska Aug 30 2006, 20:57 PM
IPB Image

everything makes sence now

(sorry i just had to tongue.gif )

+
# 6TeeToo Aug 30 2006, 21:01 PM
QUOTE(Shalashaska @ Aug 31 2006, 12:57 AM) *
IPB Image

hahahaha lmfao
goodone,really smile.gif

+
# 7RUNNINGman Aug 30 2006, 21:17 PM
QUOTE(TeeToo @ Aug 30 2006, 09:01 PM) *

We intend to implement new options, such as a big spectator mode with which thousands of people can both watch one single game and big tourney matches as well.

wow, this is by far the best thing i heard from CnC3

and GG*, omg i love this pic.

great, really funny biggrin.gif > now makes all sense biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+
# 8makautz Aug 30 2006, 21:31 PM
QUOTE(Shalashaska @ Aug 30 2006, 08:57 PM) *

IPB Image

He's sooo happy about holding that beer in his hand wub.gif

+
# 9MrYuRi Aug 30 2006, 21:33 PM
German beer of course wink.gif

Game: Generals 2

+
# 10WestHej Aug 30 2006, 21:36 PM
Dumb harvesters?

I hoep they are as intelligent as they are in RA2

This post has been edited by WestHej: Aug 30 2006, 21:37 PM

+
# 11makautz Aug 30 2006, 21:42 PM
QUOTE(WestHej @ Aug 30 2006, 09:36 PM) *

Dumb harvesters?

I hoep they are as intelligent as they are in RA2

They will be as intelligent as on RA2. But if you want to increase the amount of Tiberium that they harvest, you should control them yourself smile.gif

+
# 12TeeToo Aug 30 2006, 21:43 PM
thats what u get when u combine an orca with engeneer
its the fastest and most powerfull the secret team "GAY" got
its called Nerd-Ultima

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+
# 13Shalashaska Aug 30 2006, 21:46 PM
anyway, being serius now..... tongue.gif

There won't be mobile bases in the game. "We have been testing that feature, but it was too imbalanced, so we left it out" (Verdu).

- Marine will only be available in single-player, including battleship and aircraft carrier. Reason is that the developers of BFME2 did include a sea system (after hard work), but no body wanted to use it.

gd decision, it wuda fucked MP even further than it is

In the multiplayer you can build just one super weapon and in the game lobby you can choose to enable or disable super weapons.“ (Kaufman)

great, all we need now is underpowered seige units, and bunkering will be unstopable

What are you going to do against cheaters?

”We are focused on that problem and we’re discussing several possibilities such as Punkbuster. But we’re probably not going to use Punkbuster. I hate to say it, but at the moment I can’t say what the answer to that problem will be. I’m sorry.“ (Verdu).

Shortened Answer: "Nothing"

The Command & Conquer 3 logo will be changed and the classical “&” will return.

ohmy.gif were all saved wub.gif u EA, its all gona be fine now, go back to ya beer verdu, your work is done thum.gif

+
# 14TeeToo Aug 30 2006, 21:54 PM
QUOTE(Shalashaska @ Aug 31 2006, 01:46 AM) *
anyway, being serius now..... tongue.gif

gd decision, it wuda fucked MP even further than it is

great, all we need now is underpowered seige units, and bunkering will be unstopable

Shortened Answer: "Nothing"

ohmy.gif were all saved wub.gif u EA, its all gona be fine now, go back to ya beer verdu, your work is done thum.gif

i dont know why ur always negative when its about cnc3... the game looks good and its still to early to tell if its gonna be good or not..but u always come with lil stupid things and make a big deal..like fog of war ..when all know its for the presentation and the health of buildings..the hard counters..any kid w'd know its for the presintation ..
and tbh if u dont like the game why u spend more time here..when ur supposed to be serving the fans of SC
ur
Most active in CNC3 discussion
( 1613 posts / 48% of this member's active posts )
isnt that just weird?

+
# 15blackwarx Aug 30 2006, 21:57 PM
"Will there be a difference in game-play while playing in a different zone?
„In the beginning we thought about that, but finally we gave up on that idea. In red zones you will find Tiberium everywhere. It is really everywhere, but is not at a high level of concentration. In the blue zones you will find Tiberium too, but at a very high level of concentration and just in small areas. Because of the game-play it is very important, that it is been done in this way.” (Verdu) Every player should have the possibility to play with his favourite army on his favourite map, regardless of how much Tiberium is on a map. Therefore, on every map there is the same amount of Tiberium, but there will be a difference in how much Tiberium is spread and what is the level of concentration in the different zones."

This is absolutely disappointing!
A really bad decision in the wrong way! (in fact, it is lazy or even indicates lack of design/balance skills! mad.gif )
Why even have the three different zones then at all if they dont lead to different characters of (MP) matches?

Blue zones are supposed to have (far) less Tiberium than the other 2 zones by EA's own (scientific) definition!
The gameplay is meant to be restricted amount of units to be built, careful planning, careful use, fights over the few tiberium - much like a tactical game!

Red zones: Tiberium everywhere and OF COURSE in even higher concentration (per definition, again! Why should they have bcome wasteland if concentration were low???)
The gameplay in this zone is freaking intense as you have (almost) unlimited money to build like hell right from the start! With such economical backing there is only one way BUILD! The enemy really must be crushed militarily to achieve victory!

Yellow zones: between!

For hardcoreplayers like us one chance wasted to ensure longetivity and keep it interesting!

P.S.: Well, I must add this explanation:
(Verdu) Every player should have the possibility to play with his favourite army on his favourite map, regardless of how much Tiberium is on a map.

This means basically the map is reduced to being just COSMETICAL with the sole function to appeal to a player! This is banana.gif !
Sorry, must have said this! wink.gif

This post has been edited by blackwarx: Aug 30 2006, 22:29 PM

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 16Shalashaska Aug 30 2006, 21:58 PM
TeeToo, none of those complaints in my quote abouve are "stupid" or "little", yal see how minor and insignificant they are to gamers that analyse the tinyest detail of CCG, and complain about tinyest of balance issues

and yea i do focus on the negative things, whats the point of focusing on the positive things, EA cant do anything with "wow, well thats just brilliant EA, keep it up" they need critisism to make this game better, if we just focus on teh gd stuff and ignoor the bad, games wud never get any better

and since when was "gd decision" a negative comment?

and my post count isnt weird, thes tons of stuff in cnc3 that needs fixing, i havent found hardly any in supcom yet, so ther isnt much to say ther

(not to mention i was a regular poster in here LONG before i even became a newsposter for supcom)

and tbh if u dont like the game why u spend more time here..when ur supposed to be serving the fans of SC

seen as yav been lookin at ma profile, take a look at teh intrests part, knowtice Total Annialation in that list? no? its because i dont own it, i am a long time cnc player not TA, im not moaning about cnc3 for the hell of it, i am disapointed at how its looking compared to CCG, iv played cnc for years, iv been supcom admin for what, a month or so i think, teh only reason is because its clearly alot better than cnc3, not because its the sequel to TA, i am looking forward to cnc3 just as much, but that dusnt mean im gona blindly praise it for being amazing when it has many things that are clearly wrong with it, i am a fan of great RTS's, not a GPG or EA fan

This post has been edited by Shalashaska: Aug 30 2006, 22:21 PM

+
# 17blackwarx Aug 30 2006, 22:13 PM
There won't be mobile bases in the game. "We have been testing that feature, but it was too imbalanced, so we left it out" (Verdu).

Agreed with Shalashaska on this one!
I call it lazyness! Why should it even be possible to say at this early stage of development? Better go the safe route of conventional base play! There you go, innovative lements! sad.gif

+
# 18Shalashaska Aug 30 2006, 22:16 PM
i said

and u agree with me?

wow this is easier than i thought

+
# 19blackwarx Aug 30 2006, 22:19 PM
QUOTE(Shalashaska @ Aug 31 2006, 12:16 AM) *

i said

and u agree with me?

wow this is easier than i thought

Your statement was short and precise! wink.gif

+
# 20TeeToo Aug 30 2006, 22:34 PM
guys what's wrong with u ? i remember when they started talkin about mob. base..all of u were upset...u said this mean fixed spots...now u want that back ?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)