Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

10/27/2006: Garrisoned Bunkers/MG Nests

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Moony Oct 26 2006, 22:45 PM
General Tip #22

Garrisoned Bunkers/MG Nests

Garrisoning a unit in a Bunker or Machine Gun Nest is an excellent way to protect your building from all sides. Units that are garrisoned in these buildings are extremely resilient to enemy attacks; It takes many shots from a sniper and not even grenades do the trick. If you garrison a Heavy Machine Gun Team in the Bunker you are guaranteed 360 degree coverage at no extra cost and the easiest way for your enemy to get rid of it is to kill the Bunker with either a Mortar Team or some Armor.

This is very useful because it saves you resources and allows you full coverage and even the option to ungarrison and retreat or upgrade your Bunker to perform additional helpful functions.

By: Moony

Clan: EPIC

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2Demonic Spoon Oct 26 2006, 23:38 PM
Good tip. The only problem is that this will cause someone to build a mortar, which they normally overlook. They will see how amazingly ZOMGWTFOWNAGELOL mortars are and use them to blast your troops tongue.gif

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3Soda^ Oct 27 2006, 01:38 AM
Nice tip. I knew that you could put your own MG squad in there, but I didn't know that they are harder to take out with grenades than if they were just in a house. Awesome.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4SALUKI Oct 27 2006, 02:34 AM
So even if the bunker is attacked from the back, the garrisoned units can still fire at the attackers?

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 5Droopy Oct 27 2006, 02:39 AM
Hello Everyone, First Post here!

Awsome! Didnt know an MG could do that. I'll be sure to try that out some time. biggrin.gif

+
# 6Vitensby Oct 27 2006, 02:50 AM
Grenades dont do any damage to units in bunkers.

Snipers miss everytime.

150 ManPower for this is well worth it, perhaps a bunker is too good for its cost.

Vitensby

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 7Casten Nostra Oct 27 2006, 11:12 AM
Good tip. If using axis bunkers, will 2 MG squads cover it 360 if you haven't upgraded it with .50 CAL?

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 8Zap Oct 27 2006, 14:03 PM
I didn't know you could use MG nest for that trick, this is worth looking into

+
# 913laded Oct 27 2006, 14:11 PM
QUOTE(Vitensby @ Oct 27 2006, 03:50 AM) *

Snipers miss everytime.

150 ManPower for this is well worth it, perhaps a bunker is too good for its cost.

Vitensby

- Just wanted to say here, rifles MK2 grenades do damage to MGs in bunkers but it's pathetic, it's like one quarter of units full life and no casualties for a single grenade.

+
# 10Redonmyhead Oct 27 2006, 15:03 PM
Machine Gun Emplacement for allies, has anybody ever used them in 1vs1? I know the cost is 240 Manpower, 25 fuel which is waste of resourses. Money is better spent on more units/teching up. Just curious if any allies out there use them in 1vs1 maps.

Game: Men of War: Assault Squad

+
# 11DarkSanta Oct 27 2006, 18:18 PM
QUOTE(Nolite @ Oct 27 2006, 01:12 PM) *

Good tip. If using axis bunkers, will 2 MG squads cover it 360 if you haven't upgraded it with .50 CAL?

1 MG squad will cover it for 360 degrees. the .CAL is a littlebit extra firepower to the side you placed it.

+
# 12ronniejamesdio Oct 28 2006, 02:17 AM
Awesome tip, I never knew that when you garrison units in the MG nests they could shoot out.

+
# 13OffbeatPatriot Oct 28 2006, 03:26 AM
I actually just learned about this today, the guy built a bunker next to the point the allies have to have to hold the left side on angoville and put a HMG in it, I dropped an airborn squad on it and wasted a lot of grenades on that thing before I finally decided it was hopeless. Fortunately he built it close enough to a hedge for my airborn to simply lob some demo charges at it.

+
# 14Kleatus Oct 28 2006, 03:35 AM
QUOTE(Redonmyhead @ Oct 27 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Machine Gun Emplacement for allies, has anybody ever used them in 1vs1? I know the cost is 240 Manpower, 25 fuel which is waste of resourses. Money is better spent on more units/teching up. Just curious if any allies out there use them in 1vs1 maps.

I use them, they're good early game at choke points or to cover VPs from a distance. I was going to make a guide showing some good spots to put them and their area of cover. I geuss it all depends on your play style. biggrin.gif

but yeah, a well place machine gun nest can drive an axis player nuts early game, not so much later on (armored vehicles and whatnot).

Clan: LAID

+
# 15IMZiggy Oct 28 2006, 16:32 PM
Its not THAT hard to beat a bunker for allies:

-if airbourne use fire up then throw a demo charge
-mortars will get the job done
-flank the bunker with flame engineers (distract guns on another side of the bunker with riflemen, may lose 2/3) flamers kill the mg squad inside but NOT any main forward guns. They will eventually destry the bunker.

+
# 16Iron Pigeon Oct 29 2006, 00:44 AM
Can the MG squad shoot from the arc of the HMG for double the firepower?

+
# 17Blitzpig_Sal Oct 29 2006, 05:09 AM
Your best bet at attacking garrisoned troopes in bunkers is a flame thrower. It has 100% accuracy and 100% damage vs. bunker cover where most other weapons have absolutely dismal accuracy penalties. Still, expect to rack up heavy losses as you are going up against a formidable defensive position.

This post has been edited by Blitzpig_Sal: Oct 29 2006, 05:10 AM

+
# 18Tae1 Oct 29 2006, 16:35 PM
QUOTE(Vitensby @ Oct 27 2006, 02:50 AM) *

Snipers miss everytime.

I didn't know that tbh. WTF.gif

Clan: -MaD|

Game: League of Legends

+
# 19andarooo May 26 2007, 15:26 PM
Snipers CAN take out heavy mgs in a bunker when he is looking at the mg guy through the open window. Ive done this many times, sacrifice and retreat an engineer squad to get the ability to snipe a mg crew. But as long as you have your own snipers covering your garrisoned mg then have at it and watch those attacking units get suppressed or pinned.

+
# 2053rdpanzergruppen Jul 13 2007, 23:51 PM
German bunkers do have windows on all sides, it's just that they're easy to miss if you have never seen anyone fire from the other 3.

I mention it because it's easy to assume that a German bunker is blind on 3 sides due to being made of concrete.

Playing as the Axis, bunkers and MG squads go together like snipers and towers.

One thing, though. Decide before you start whether you plan to garrison all your bunkers or not. It affects where you should place them. An empty bunker with the .50 should ideally be placed in a corner where its blind sides can't be approached. A bunker with two MG squads inside should be placed right smack out in the open so that you benefit from the extra coverage. Abandoning a bunker that was designed to be garrisoned pretty much guarantees its death, whereas occupying a bunker that was designed to be empty wastes a squad. Choose wisely.

If your goal is to turtle, you should place them in the open, widely covering approaches, and then back them up with AT guns, which themselves are also backed up with snipers and MGs behind bags.

This post has been edited by 53rdpanzergruppen: Jul 13 2007, 23:54 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)