Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

11/27/2006: Tactical Map

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1WISE Architect Nov 27 2006, 10:46 AM
General Tip #35

Tactical Map

Using tactical map to track enemy movement, when you bring up the tactical map, you see all the points thats not in LOS in gray, when you select a unit. and hover your mouse over the points, you will see 1 of 2 things
1. the pointer will change to the capping icon, the white circle with a tail like thing
2. no change

Translations:
1. the point if not being capped
2. enemy is capping that point

Scan the map early on will let you get a grip where your enemy is heading to and how many units he might have

The tactical map also tell you which points are OPed without having to scout it out. if you see a high fuel point giving +26, you know its OPed and its best to bring a flamer if you wish to destory it

Normal - OPed
High 16 - 26
Med 10 - 18
Low 5 - 8

By Sturmtruppen

This post has been edited by Architect: Nov 27 2006, 10:49 AM

Clan: [Wise]

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Royality Nov 27 2006, 14:34 PM
Nooo! I was gunna post this exact tip for the weekly tip section! sad.gif

Good tips though, especially useful in the first minute as axis, helps prevent you from running your weak little pioneers into the pesky allied ones!

+
# 3Wast3d Nov 27 2006, 14:45 PM
I have noticed it for a while now, Isn't that a bug?
therefore i think that using this is exploiting a bug, It's some kind of mini-maphack when u can tell what points the enemy is caping.

Altough I am not sure if it's a bug, Cuz it make no sense if it's suppose to work like that.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4WISE Architect Nov 27 2006, 15:13 PM
Dunno if it´s a bug.

I guess it´s not since it´s in 1.3...

+
# 5KingofallCosmos Nov 27 2006, 17:06 PM
It is a bug because if they have a fog of war system in CoH, why would they want you to be able to tell if a point is being captured. Further more, if they did, wouldnt they have a sign of some sort to indicate a capture, like a red flashing? And take for instance garrisoning a building: If im not mistaken, you can order a unit to garrison a building, even if held by the enemy if it is out of view, however, when they approach the building and find it is garrisoned, they stop, and wait. No change in cursor.
Truth is, its an A bug, a bug often disregarded in the industry, either they found it, and never chose to fix it (probably not) or it has only surfaced into popular use now. Anyway, whats wrong with exploiting such a small bug anyway? No one can find out your doing it, and it cant have an incredibly large effect on gameplay anyway.

[apologies for the long post]

This post has been edited by CptCommie21: Nov 27 2006, 17:07 PM

+
# 6WISE Architect Nov 27 2006, 17:24 PM
No need to apologise man. I like long well written posts tbh. biggrin.gif

Discussin around this is good. It can bring impt devs attention. wink.gif

QUOTE(CptCommie21 @ Nov 27 2006, 05:06 PM) *

It is a bug because if they have a fog of war system in CoH, why would they want you to be able to tell if a point is being captured.

I dont understand one thing. Even if you´re not unsing tactical map you know that a neutral point is being captured if you see the corner of that same section (seing the section red flashing).
If you can actually see all neutral points being capture using tactical map (can we?) could it be like a bonus for the player for actually using the tactical map (wich fills all screen)?

+
# 7ziofu Nov 27 2006, 18:37 PM
I don't think is a bug (if it is, it's there from the beta). And can be used equally from both sides....

+
# 8Fishfins Nov 27 2006, 19:32 PM
i personally really love the tactical map system
Knowing where they have op's is nice and u can select units faster then hotkeying (imo) cuz i keep my left hand on the arrow keys to move around the map and taping zero on the numpad is easy

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 9System` Nov 27 2006, 22:46 PM
A definate bug. You honestly think that was implemented purposely? On maps like angoville, this can be devastating in the right (or more appropriately, wrong) hands.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 10Gerbil Nov 28 2006, 00:37 AM
This is definitely a bug. It has probably slipped by because there hasn't been a huge uproar about it (and it's pretty hard to use if you're busy). On large maps, it's basically free scouting, telling you exactly where to send your jeep/bike.

+
# 11Sturmtruppen Nov 28 2006, 00:49 AM
even if it is a bug, its not a huge deal... its like poping smoke on shermans... thats bug too isnt it?

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 12Neilius Nov 28 2006, 08:45 AM
Its just like how you can hear the enemy in the fog of war. You can tell where his troops are b/c you can hear then yelling stuff even if they are of the other side of the map. It's a bug, and should be fixed.

+
# 13Sternhelden Nov 28 2006, 09:17 AM
I've been keep saying this over and over again, so I'll just say it once more.

Even if both sides can use it equally, a bug is still a bug, it has nothing to do with balance or equal use. Let's imagine there exists a button if you press it you get instant win, both sides can use it equally, but it is a bug as we know the game wasn't intended to be played by pressing such button. Do you still think that if we can use equally, a bug suddenly becomes not a bug?

I believe the FoW argument is pretty strong, as it is reasonable to believe that FoW was intended to keep everything in it unrevealed. I think it is a bug.

This post has been edited by Sternhelden: Nov 28 2006, 09:17 AM

+
# 14WISE Architect Nov 28 2006, 10:13 AM
I´ll email Buggo soon just in case. smile.gif

+
# 15Gerbil Nov 28 2006, 23:42 PM
QUOTE(Sturmtruppen @ Nov 27 2006, 04:49 PM) *

even if it is a bug, its not a huge deal... its like poping smoke on shermans... thats bug too isnt it?

Yup, it has been acknowledge and they're working on it.

+
# 16IMZiggy Nov 29 2006, 01:31 AM
QUOTE(CptCommie21 @ Nov 27 2006, 05:06 PM) *

It is a bug because if they have a fog of war system in CoH, why would they want you to be able to tell if a point is being captured. Further more, if they did, wouldnt they have a sign of some sort to indicate a capture, like a red flashing? And take for instance garrisoning a building: If im not mistaken, you can order a unit to garrison a building, even if held by the enemy if it is out of view, however, when they approach the building and find it is garrisoned, they stop, and wait. No change in cursor.
Truth is, its an A bug, a bug often disregarded in the industry, either they found it, and never chose to fix it (probably not) or it has only surfaced into popular use now. Anyway, whats wrong with exploiting such a small bug anyway? No one can find out your doing it, and it cant have an incredibly large effect on gameplay anyway.

[apologies for the long post]

I thought you didn't play anymore? smile.gif

On topic, this isn't as bad as the cloaked sniper bug. [Unit Sniped!] is always followed by rapid clicking of the space bar.

+
# 17DarkSanta Nov 29 2006, 17:57 PM
I dont like to use spacebar ... I press always on the icon because when you completed or captyured something your spacebar thing will go there an dnot to the sinper

Clan: EPIC

+
# 18Gerbil Nov 30 2006, 00:46 AM
QUOTE(HansMoleman @ Nov 28 2006, 05:31 PM) *

On topic, this isn't as bad as the cloaked sniper bug. [Unit Sniped!] is always followed by rapid clicking of the space bar.

Yeah, that wouldn't work. Spacebar cycles through the events, not just the last event. You gotta click on the icon on the screen, get your exploits right!

+
# 19Suprise Nov 30 2006, 00:52 AM
I agree that it is a bug, but i would fix more used bugs such as sherman smoke well before this one.

+
# 20tybalt33 Nov 30 2006, 18:02 PM
QUOTE(HansMoleman @ Nov 29 2006, 02:31 AM) *

lol lol and... let me think... lol? :-D

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)