Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Kleatus Dec 19 2006, 03:35 AM
A Guide to the Allied Jeep
by Kleatus

The Unit
Attached Image

Background

In WW2, the Jeep served many purposes. From transporting officers to
and from certain locations, serving patrols as a fast means of transportation, to
a combat vehicle with machine guns and other weaponry mounted on it. One of the smallest
and most versatile vehicles to be used in the war, it also serves many of
the same purposes in Company of Heroes.

Description

In Company of Heroes, the Jeep is built from the Barracks as a support unit for Rifleman
engaging units of Volksgrenadiers, Snipers, and anything else that might require some extra firepower to turn the tide of a battle. Another strong point of the Jeep is scouting. It has a great line of sight and its speed can make getting away from a larger force much easier than for other units.

Vital Stats

Hit points: 185
Build time (seconds): 35
PopCap Modifier: 3

Capture rate: 1

Acceleration: 5.5
Deceleration: 6.5
Rotation Speed: 85
Max Speed: 7.2

Resource Cost

Manpower: 220

Veterancy Upgrades

Veterancy 1: Max Speed increased by 25%
Veterancy 2: Weapon accuracy increased by 25%
Veterancy 3: Weapon damage increased by 25%

Weapon Ratings

Weapon Rating: 1 vs. infantry

Vehicle Weapon

Weapon: .30 Cal M1919A4 Mounted Light Machine Gun

Firing Range

Max: 35
Distant: 35
Long: 35
Medium: 15
Short: 6

Accuracy

Distant: 0.25
Long: 0.25
Medium: 0.4
Short: 0.55

Accuracy Whilst Moving: 0.5%

Damage

Max: 5
Min: 5

Weapon Penetration

Distant: 1.0
Long: 1.0
Medium: 1.0
Short: 1.0

Reload (Seconds)

Max: 6
Min: 6

*All statistical information above is taken from PlanetCoH.com and may be out of date due to patches.

When to build a Jeep: The early game is a good time to get a jeep out, as its relatively weak compared to most other mid-late game units.

Now I will go over some different strategies and techniques to use with the Jeep.

Scouting

This is probably one of the Jeeps main uses, it has a gigantic line of sight compared to most units aswell as being much faster than a squad of infantry or a Sniper. To scout its as simple as driving it around the map, but keep an eye on it, as you don't want it to be some garrisoned MG-42s first victim.

Harassing

If used off the start of the game the Jeep is a great unit to use to harass enemy pioneers and keep them from capturing territory in the early going. Simply keep your Jeep in range of the enemy units, facing them of course, and it will fire on them. This is great to give weaker units some extra firepower. Just micro your Jeep away if the enemy attempts to close with it and you will take little or no damage such as in the shot below.
Attached Image
In this shot the jeep is supporting some Engineers near the Axis base, allowing them to fight 3 squads at once, and having downed a squad already!

Countering Snipers

As the counterpart to Axis Motorbike, the Jeep is capable of spotting snipers before most other units
can. As a result, this is its primary function. Just get close to a Sniper and he will be uncloaked and your Jeep will begin firing on it aswell as other nearby units. More often then not the Jeep is also fast enough that if microed right it can chase down enemy Snipers and kill them before they make it back to base.

Micro

The Jeep moves in a very similar way to tanks and armored cars, backing up, turning around and being
able to fire relatively well on the move. So remember, keep it moveing to dodge enemy fire and keep your
Jeep in good shape, it's easy, you don't even have to change the oil, just keep it bullet-hole free.

That's it folks, hopefully this helps out some new players who want to learn to utilise this unit like
the pros do.

Expect more guides breaking down each unit, except Rifleman (Sepha beat me to it, and a most excellent guide it is).

This post has been edited by Kleatus: Dec 19 2006, 21:14 PM

Clan: LAID

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Munkir Dec 19 2006, 04:33 AM
cool nice job smile.gif

+
# 3Glingo Dec 19 2006, 12:52 PM
Nice guide Kleatus thumb.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4ronniejamesdio Dec 19 2006, 17:44 PM
Nice guide. is the jeep able to take out an early MG if its not in a building?

+
# 5Sturmtruppen Dec 19 2006, 18:15 PM
you can push the mg around with the jeep so that he cant get into a building

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 6xsoldier Dec 19 2006, 19:40 PM
indeed thum.gif

+
# 7marcusklaas Dec 19 2006, 20:19 PM
Ya I've actually tried this but it's too damn hard.

+
# 8Bromp Dec 19 2006, 20:56 PM
One thing that should be mentioned about Jeeps vs Motorcycles is Jeeps can back up while firing, bikes cannot. This is very useful when he is trying to rush you with pioneers or volks to try and kill your jeep but you can just keep backing up and firing just out of his range.

+
# 9Intuit Dec 20 2006, 02:10 AM
A jeep is definately a unit you want to keep hotkeyed to move at a moments notice, or to check up on occasionaly when not microing.

When chasing down a retreating sniper, I find it helpful to click slightly ahead of it frequently to best match its path. Otherwise, it will most likely get away.

+
# 10marcusklaas Dec 20 2006, 07:22 AM
QUOTE(Bromp @ Dec 19 2006, 09:56 PM) *

One thing that should be mentioned about Jeeps vs Motorcycles is Jeeps can back up while firing, bikes cannot. This is very useful when he is trying to rush you with pioneers or volks to try and kill your jeep but you can just keep backing up and firing just out of his range.

Didn't know, thanks!

+
# 11cvax Dec 20 2006, 08:21 AM
If you guys want to see the power of jeeps in mass check this replay out. Now it won't show you how to use jeeps in 1v1s, but it gives you an idea of what they are capable of. Enjoy.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=174637

+
# 12ziofu Dec 20 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the guide.

What I really hate about this unit is its damage... nothing! I've to spend 2 minutes to kill a squad of pioneers.. :\

+
# 13.exe Dec 20 2006, 12:13 PM
nice guild, but i still find jeep not worth its cost, talking about squad down, building a jeep = a squad down, thier attack point is soooo damn tiny to be a support unit. Volks + bike > jeep + rifle, even though the jeep + rifle cost more than axis counter part =S

+
# 14Kleatus Dec 20 2006, 13:22 PM
Its fast and often will force your opponent to retreat, atleast pioneers anyways...

As for Bike/Volks, I've won that matchup many times wacko.gif just gotta micro Rifles and Jeep right.

+
# 15.exe Dec 20 2006, 14:39 PM
may you be so kind to share the micro? biggrin.gif

+
# 16Kleatus Dec 20 2006, 22:14 PM
Haha, all I'm saying is it can be done tongue.gif

+
# 17Gerbil Dec 21 2006, 00:47 AM
QUOTE(Kleatus @ Dec 20 2006, 02:14 PM) *

Haha, all I'm saying is it can be done tongue.gif

Bikes do more damage than Jeeps, but they're more fragile and can't backup. Anyway, it is of my opinion that a Jeep should never enter combat unless they have engie support or it's against pioneers who are doing something else, or if you outnumber the other guy. Against Volks it gets torn apart at long range.

+
# 18ronniejamesdio Dec 21 2006, 02:05 AM
QUOTE(Sturmtruppen @ Dec 19 2006, 01:15 PM) *

you can push the mg around with the jeep so that he cant get into a building

Sounds too micro intensive for a 1 month old noob like me tongue.gif
but ehh i'll work on it biggrin.gif

+
# 19Kleatus Dec 21 2006, 03:27 AM
QUOTE(mallow005 @ Dec 20 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Bikes do more damage than Jeeps, but they're more fragile and can't backup. Anyway, it is of my opinion that a Jeep should never enter combat unless they have engie support or it's against pioneers who are doing something else, or if you outnumber the other guy. Against Volks it gets torn apart at long range.

They're good to distract Volks lol, they will chase that Jeep like... well... they just chase it, backed up by 2 engies can be a neat way to fight for the right side on Ango... jeep gets damaged engies repair it.

It's almost always apart of my opening, sometimes its the first unit I field besides Engineers, its all a matter of the map though.

+
# 20StevieWonder Dec 21 2006, 17:10 PM
A jeep can obviously own a non-garrisoned MG team as well. As soon as you see them setting up, just drive behind them. Keep repeating that process until they retreat or die. You will take light fire from their 3rd man, but that's nothing comparied to the damage you can inflict on them. If they're behind some sort of cover, maneuver your jeep around so that the defensive effect is negated.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)