Explore GameReplays...

Command and Conquer 3

Questions About Infantry Transports

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Aron Times Jan 22 2007, 04:02 AM
Loading units into transports is a task that most players find tedious. EA has simplified this process somewhat in C&C 3 through the use of infantry transports.

I heard somewhere that most infantry squads can call for a transport once per game per squad to airlift them to a destination. This greatly reduces the micromanagement needed to ferry large groups of infantry to the battlefield.

But how exactly does the system work? Do you click on a button to call for a transport and then click on the destination? Or do you click on a button to call for a transport, wait for it to arrive, and then click on the destination? How tough are the transports? Do they have flimsy armor, like the transport helicopters of C&C and TS? Or are they as tough as the Chinooks of Generals?

I also heard that APCs can only carry one squad of infantry each. Is an engineer considered a whole squad? Or can you load multiple engineers into an APC?

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Tokamak Jan 22 2007, 18:09 PM
and just as squads can fire out of the apc, the enigneer can stick his spanner out and capture buildings on the move.

+
# 3Sparky Jan 22 2007, 18:15 PM
QUOTE(Joseph Silver @ Jan 22 2007, 05:02 AM) *

I heard somewhere that most infantry squads can call for a transport once per game per squad to airlift them to a destination. This greatly reduces the micromanagement needed to ferry large groups of infantry to the battlefield.

Wtf?

Clan: H2

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 4turtlewatcher Jan 22 2007, 18:32 PM
QUOTE(Tokamak @ Jan 22 2007, 06:09 PM) *

and just as squads can fire out of the apc, the enigneer can stick his spanner out and capture buildings on the move.

QFT

Game: Battlefield 2

+
# 5MaDDoX Jan 22 2007, 19:58 PM
QUOTE(Joseph Silver @ Jan 22 2007, 02:02 AM) *
I heard somewhere that most infantry squads can call for a transport once per game per squad to airlift them to a destination.

It's not once per game, it just has a long reload time. Something like 2 minutes.

But how exactly does the system work? Do you click on a button to call for a transport and then click on the destination?

They come, they load up your unit/squad (supposing you don't move it, in which case the transp goes away), and then you can micro it at will. The 'unload' is an ability like any other, which means you can hit its shortcut (SHIFT+F1 by def) and click on the unload position.

Do they have flimsy armor, like the transport helicopters of C&C and TS?

Yeah, they are somewhat flimsy. Thanks God.. ph34r.gif

I also heard that APCs can only carry one squad of infantry each. Is an engineer considered a whole squad? Or can you load multiple engineers into an APC?

One engineer per APC. I hate how you can load an engineer into an APC and call-for-transport it.. it's like the best of three worlds in a single unit. It's a big cash loss if you lose it of course, and in spite of what Tokamak thinks units can't fire from inside, the unload animation is pretty slow and to prevent a bit the abuses EA has made it so that after a certain low altitude the plane is targettable by land-to-land weapons. Smart boys wink.gif

Clan: EPIC

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 6Chameleon Jan 22 2007, 20:24 PM
One engineer at a time for transports? If that information is correct, that's a good thing in my opinion. Makes single engineer capture less of a problem than I expect it will be.

By the way, transports can carry apcs in CNC: 3? I thought these new transports were for infantry units only. WTF.gif

If so, what type of 'vehicle' units can be carried by the transport? I was hoping the carryall would make a comeback!

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 7Tokamak Jan 22 2007, 21:11 PM
oh am i worng, i'm sure i heard in an interview or something that rifle squads could fire from the apc.

+
# 8Sparky Jan 23 2007, 02:58 AM
I think Maddox didn't mean the APC when he said that infantry couldn't fire from inside.

Clan: H2

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 9AgmLauncher Jan 23 2007, 05:10 AM
The transport ships decend from right above the unit you performed the call function on, so it's instantaneous reaction, which is cool. It does streamline the process considerably.

Transports are not limited to infantry, they can carry almost any vehicle. Only one unit per transport though. Each transport call costs money as well.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 10Chameleon Jan 23 2007, 06:01 AM
Ok so its just like the carryall, just not on the build options. They should have been more clear when explaining this.

That means its a real shame they got rid of the disruptor tanks, and mk2 from TS.

AGMLauncher: That makes vehicle micro more tactical than in ZH, however, you micro all vehicles the same basic way in C&C 3. But again, I'd have to get into a lot of detailed examples as to how ZH's micromanagement is diverse. Each unit has it's own particular set of behaviors and skill sets needed to control it, which is what made that game so appealing.

... a real shame, because units like the disruptor and mk2 fit that definition perfectly. Each of those units (and some others) did have its own particular set of of behaviors and skill sets needed to control them. This was probably because of the type of weaponry they both came equipped with, which was futuristic and different from the other units. Not to mention they each seemed to have a personality of their own sometimes, and you really had to focus to use them correctly at key moments.

It was fun to watch someone really good with unit control attack another great player using a disruptor or mk2. I think there was a place for them in CNC: 3.

post-13661-1143531603.gif

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)