Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Closing the Distance

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Kleatus Apr 22 2007, 17:29 PM
Allies Tip #16

Closing the Distance

Some of the most important skirmishes in the game occur within the first minute of gameplay, and these are usually fought out between Rifleman and Volksgrenadiers. It's in either sides best interest to win these skirmishes to secure important resources and make your opponent spend time and resources reinforcing his/her squads.

The functionality of these two units are quite different, with Volks preferring to stay far away and fight a ranged battle which their bolt action Kar 98s will prove much more effective in, while Rifleman need to close the distance to get the maximum damage out of their M1 Grands. It is this task that I am here to educate you on today!

Most players know they need to be close, but often how they achieve this can be their downfall. More often than not I see players running across an open field charging into their enemies fire and taking to many losses to win the battle. So what if you use the terrain to your advantage? Most forget that everything on the field can act as an obstruction to gun fire, so why not make use of it during this charge?

Instead of running blindly across a field try and move through things like bushes or behind walls! It will make a noticeable difference in how much damage you take before getting that optimum firing range that will often determine whether or not you win or lose the engagement. Plan a route and use waypoints to make sure your men follow the correct path that will hopefully bring you victory!

Kleatus

This post has been edited by Glingo: Apr 23 2007, 12:16 PM

Clan: LAID

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Morpork Apr 23 2007, 12:38 PM
Nice tip, its definitely a common mistake.

P.S you spelled "Garand" wrong. tongue.gif

+
# 3imlovinit Apr 23 2007, 13:16 PM
he sure did...but we knew what he was talking bout eh? do women play this game? just saw you say his/her in your post and was wondering if it was common to have females playing..that is all. and nice tip btw, too many times i see rifles blindly rushing volks in cover only to lose one or two men by the time they're close. and we all know what happens at that point.

+
# 4Blackwing® Apr 23 2007, 15:37 PM
pretty good tip th, ill try to remeber that in game, thx smile.gif

Game: Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

+
# 5Zemken Apr 23 2007, 19:53 PM
QUOTE(Kleatus @ Apr 22 2007, 13:29 PM) *

Plan a route and use waypoints to make sure your men follow the correct path that will hopefully bring you victory!

Lets hope so tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Zemken: Apr 23 2007, 19:58 PM

+
# 6Interpol99 Apr 23 2007, 21:21 PM
You have to wonder if it's always worth it though. Say you're on Ango volks vs rifles... most of cover is in the form of a grid of bushes/fences, so if you want to stay in cover, you may have to take a longer route (shaped like an "L") rather than the straightest path up to the volks. It's a tradeoff in a way, since you take longer to get to the optimal distance. How much of an effect is that likely to have?

+
# 7crazyrumer Apr 23 2007, 22:01 PM
thnx for the tip

+
# 812azor Apr 23 2007, 22:16 PM
Use cover!!!111oneone.

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 9.exe Apr 24 2007, 00:20 AM
compare to last tip, this one sux >< I remember seeing this tip one like few months ago

This post has been edited by ExE163: Apr 25 2007, 05:32 AM

+
# 10Kleatus Apr 24 2007, 00:54 AM
QUOTE(ExE163 @ Apr 23 2007, 20:20 PM) *

compare to last tip, this one sux >< I remember seeing this tip one like few months ago

It actually hasn't been posted yet but there's been a few threads with something like it.

Probably not as pro as some of the tips but there's good and bad, and I'm sure this will help some players out to. smile.gif

Remember if you think you have a good tip submit it and it will make it on the portal eventually biggrin.gif

Clan: LAID

+
# 11KingofallCosmos Apr 24 2007, 02:09 AM
yay, Kleatus posts a ToW! now... if he could just mentor me tongue.gif

+
# 12QuakerOatz Apr 25 2007, 04:03 AM
good tip, something i know i should do but rarely do =\

+
# 13shiffty Apr 25 2007, 08:44 AM
good tip, cover is in the game for a reason not just so relic can brag that they put all sorts of cool thing in the game.

+
# 14Adder06 Apr 29 2007, 18:46 PM
I think it's important to clarify that volks do not "prefer" to do anything. Both volks and rifles (and pretty much every other unit in the game) are more accurate up close, and thus deal more damage. However, rifles gain an invisible buff that increases their attack rate when closer.

This can be misleading to newer players, as sometimes i see people try and kill engis with volks at max range, when they should really run up point blank to slaughter them.

+
# 15Thomas03 Aug 6 2007, 06:28 AM
QUOTE(Adder06 @ Apr 29 2007, 18:46 PM) *

I think it's important to clarify that volks do not "prefer" to do anything. Both volks and rifles (and pretty much every other unit in the game) are more accurate up close, and thus deal more damage. However, rifles gain an invisible buff that increases their attack rate when closer.

This can be misleading to newer players, as sometimes i see people try and kill engis with volks at max range, when they should really run up point blank to slaughter them.

Since this is likely to be read by new players I thought I'd point out that as far as I know Eng/Pio do 0 or near 0 damage to Volks/Rifle at distance, so unless I'm in a hurry and willing to take some damage I'll take out Eng/Pio at distance. A big reason why pio rush is De rigueur among top axis players this month. (Yeah that's right, I'm one of those asses that likes to use french words in discussions just to sound smart when really it makes me look like well.... So what are you going to do about it huh? It's De rigueur for jerks like me. smile.gif

I'm just messing with ya. Heh. (But, I bet the hit count at dictionary.com goes up, so what the heck).

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)