Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Golradaer's Indefatigable Strategy

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 10:00 AM
Golradaer's Indefatigable Strategy

So many Axis players have begun using Tier 2/Terror, Veterancy/Blitz, and other strategies that were created in order to counter the popularity of the Motor Pool and as a result, it is no longer best to use the Unbeatable Strategy. Never fear! The Allies have another powerful way to play utilizing an underused early game strategy and an underused company.

Key Components:

IPB Image
1. Single Engineer start: this allows you to fight much more effectively against Axis players as you are able to get more Riflemen squads on the field faster and thus gain map control relatively quickly.

IPB Image
2. BAR upgrade with your first 60 fuel: this allows you to push Axis players around quite a lot with your infantry to gain a munitions advantage and possibly even deny them fuel.

IPB Image
3. Massive amounts of Riflemen squads early game: you don't want to use Jeeps or even WSC if you can manage it, you just want to have around five to six squads of Riflemen so you have plenty to flank units, capture territory, and cover large amounts of the map.

IPB Image
4. Strafing Runs: these things are amazing against massive amounts of infantry units which you see often these days, as for 150 munitions you can wipe out multiple squads with basically no warning.

IPB ImageIPB Image
5. Supply Yard Upgrades: these allow you to retain your high manpower income throughout the game even when you have six Riflemen squads and additional units on the field. You won't be using your fuel for much else, so get these after the BAR or a bit later if you use one of the situational components that requires fuel.

IPB Image
6. Recon Run: this allows you to discover exactly what your opponent is doing and react accordingly, if your opponent goes Tier 2 then you can continue to build Riflemen as normal with possibly some WSC units, while if your opponent goes Tier 3 you will have the opportunity to get anti-tank guns on the field before the first Puma arrives.

Situational Components:

IPB Image
1. Forward HQ: When you find yourself in a position where you can solidify your hold on an area, and have some extra manpower, getting Forward HQ is useful, it's a good idea to get one somewhere around the center of the map so your Riflemen do not need to retreat to your base to reinforce.

IPB Image
2. WSC: If your opponent uses more Machine Guns than you can handle with the Riflemen alone, or you see bunkers, then it's a good idea to get a WSC for a Mortar.

IPB ImageIPB Image
3. Triage Center/Medic Station: If you have extra manpower and fuel then build these to keep your Riflemen fighting at maximum effectiveness and to give you even more Riflemen for small investement.

IPB Image
4. Motor Pool: If you find that your opponent is going fast Tier 3, then it is best to get a Motor Pool so you will have AT guns to support your Riflemen, you won't have paratroopers until 5 CP or anti-tank guns until 7 CP, so unless you can wait until then, get a Motor Pool.

IPB ImageIPB Image
5. Paratroopers: If your determine that your opponent is rushing for Tier 3 with a recon run, then the first thing you want to do is drop a Paratrooper squad and upgrade to Recoilless Rifles while waiting for anti-tank gun support, either paradropped or from the Motor Pool.

Build Orders:

Early Game:

IPB ImageIPB Imagex5IPB Image
Basic: Five Riflemen squads then get BARs as soon as you have 60 fuel.

IPB ImageIPB Imagex3IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imagex2
Variation 1: Against multiple Machine Guns or bunkers early game, build a WSC after the third Riflemen squad, get a Mortar, upgrade to BARs, then build two more Riflemen squads.

IPB ImageIPB Imagex4IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Variation 2: Against lots of veteran infantry build a WSC after four Riflemen squads and the BAR upgrade, then get a Sniper.

Mid Game:

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imagex2
Basic: Supply Yard, Triage Center, Motor Pool, two anti-tank guns.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imagex2
Variation 1: Against massive amounts of Grenadiers or Stormtroopers, build a WSC (if you haven't already) and two Snipers after the Supply Yard.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imagex2
Variation 2: Against fast Tier 3, research Sticky Bombs, call in Paratroopers and upgrade to Recoilless Rifles, build a Supply Yard, then a Motor Pool and two anti-tank guns.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Variation 3: Against a weapon team orientated Tier 2, build a WSC (if you haven't already), a Mortar, a Sniper, a Triage Center, and a Supply Yard.

Command Point Distribution:

IPB Image
Recon Run: once you have two CP after selecting Recon Run, recon your opponent's base in order to determine where to spend your next two points.

If you see Tier 2, or a Kampkraft Center (Blitz/Veterancy): Strafing Run, Paratroopers, Paradropped AT Gun, Supply Drop, Bombing Run.

If you see Tier 3: Paratroopers, Paradropped AT Gun, Supply Drop, Strafing Run, Bombing Run.

Capturing Orders:

North Angoville
IPB Image
South Angoville
IPB Image
East Semois
IPB Image
West Semois
IPB Image
Basic Tactics:

Use your Engineer squad to build a barracks and then send it to capture territory where it won't need to fight anything more than a single pioneer squad. Generally this will mean the right side of Angoville or your fuel and medium munition points on Semois. Both of your Riflemen squads should be used to take control over the area of the map that your opponent focuses his attention on and drive off his first Tier 1 unit. Due to the fact that you'll have two units while your opponent has one, and even later you'll have three when he has two, you should have the ability to capture the high points in that contested side of the map. As you continue to capture territory with your Engineer and Riflemen, keep your squads spread out enough that when a Machine Gun does come into play, you can flank with easily, preferably from three or more directions at once. In urban areas, garrison one squad in a building to draw fire and then flank with the others.

Try to avoid using Suppression Fire as you want to save your munitions for Strafing Runs later in the game. You must be proficient with Strafing Runs if you are going to use this strategy effectively, so if you do not understand them or have trouble, read Hardtack's Guide to Strafing Run in the Allies Strategy Forum, then create a skirmish and use it until you understand it. When you do get Strafing Run, try to wait until two to three squads not counting pioneers are close together in a line, and then fire away. One great use for Strafing Run is by killing Machine Guns that are giving your Riflemen trouble; sometimes you can kill just one, rush all of your Riflemen through the area it was covering, and then flank the rest of the Axis army.

Included within the replay pack are roughly sixteen games mostly against good to great axis players.

Attached File Indefatigable_Strategy.rar
Size: 1.49mb
Number of downloads: 2558

This post has been edited by Golradaer: Jul 11 2007, 03:30 AM

Clan: EPIC

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 2Puma Pants Jul 9 2007, 10:07 AM
Woot Woot

...off to practice strafing runs

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Temperamental Jul 9 2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds like quiet an impressive tactic.

How long did this take you to develop Gol?

+
# 4Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 10:48 AM
Since Friday, I devoted this weekend to testing it out and ended up going roughly 40-1 with it.

+
# 5evotech Jul 9 2007, 10:51 AM
you could go 40-1 with engineers only tongue.gif

+
# 6Decs. Jul 9 2007, 11:08 AM
Gol could go 40 - 1 with a toothpick, half an engi squad and a stolen nebel tongue.gif

good guide. time to go play some games me thinks.

This post has been edited by Decs.: Jul 9 2007, 11:20 AM

+
# 7Cheps Jul 9 2007, 11:47 AM
Will have to check a few of those replays. I've had some success with mass infantry + airborne, although I prefer left side. I think strafe run is only really good if you can take out 2 squads at once, 150 munitions to kill only a squad or just a few squad members seems too much (better use grenades or SF). But if you have good map control and lot of munitions then I guess it must work pretty well smile.gif

+
# 8Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 12:21 PM
You definitely want to make sure you only use it when you can do a lot of damage, otherwise it's juat a waste of munitions.

+
# 9HERO Jul 9 2007, 12:57 PM
QUOTE(Golradaer @ Jul 9 2007, 08:21 AM) *

You definitely want to make sure you only use it when you can do a lot of damage, otherwise it's juat a waste of munitions.

Why are you still awake Gol? wtf.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 10Temperamental Jul 9 2007, 14:01 PM
I've had a quick go at this tonight, and I must admit that the only problems that I had with it was if I got cut off from the munition points, and from losing men because I forget about them or don't pay attention to them. (Registered artillery is death if you don't pay attention.)

Apart from that its a pretty fun new way to play.

+
# 11Sternhelden Jul 9 2007, 15:11 PM
I have been trying more or less the same thing with strafing run after studying Robo's airborne strat. 40-1 is very impressive but I bet it involves lots of skills that are not related to your strat, that means it may require some skills like uber micro, multitasking when you have 6 rifles on the field, positioning mortar or placing strafing run etc.

Ususally the Axis would react in two different ways. Bunker + MG or fast puma, or both. If you make a WSC instead of spamming more rifles, you would lose capping power, thus allowing the Axis to have enough fuel for puma. On Angovile, if the Axis go for the right side of the map, then defend it with 1 or 2 MG without diverting his units to your side, wouldn't it be difficult to flush them out with no flamethrower or grenades?

+
# 12Riisto Jul 9 2007, 15:12 PM
Most of the replays are almost ownage as Gol gets hold of both fuels on ango or cutting off enemy before even getting BARs. He might have as good got an early crock on many occasions. For an even match with even fuel you really can't get BARs without being raped by early pumas. (You really would be forced to the left side of airborne or to infantry for rangers)

Every axis player has been raped by riflespam at least one time. It requires major skill to pull off hardcore riflespam without nades against potent opponent, but it pushes the axis out of options and forces to go t2 against an opponent who already has all the tools to fight it off.

The major thing why this seems good is because at what state the metagame is at the moment. As Gol mentioned people tend to go inf heavy as in t2 or vet storms in some form. It was likewise the same in 1.61 - I laughed as I started playing axis, cause all that people did was get early BARs, cause they thought that axis had to go t2 to counter the fast motorpool. I even won 12azor on semois cause he played inf heavy and I rolled out couple pumas.

...and so we go full round back again to the good old riflespam that dictated the game in 1.5 smile.gif

[More unbeatable is the volksspam because it doesn't need nearly as much skill to pull off.]

This post has been edited by S0litude: Jul 9 2007, 15:12 PM

+
# 13Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 18:34 PM
I actually destroy a volks spam from a forward HQ in one of the replays against Kreiqs. Solitude, you are correct in the two best reactions to this strategy, but oftentimes you can either control or cut off the fuel, or you can get paratroopers and use sticky bombs until you are able to get AT guns. Until people begin going fast tier 3 again this strategy is incredibly strong and I don't think it's nearly as difficult to play effectively as the unbeatable strategy. Against MGs locking down the right side of Angoville, all you really need to do is draw fire with one squad, and then rush the position with other squads, but if you come up against like three MGs all garrisoned or in bunkers, then a WSC is a necessity. You just have to be smart with your Riflemen usage and never let up with your harassment.

+
# 14Cheps Jul 9 2007, 18:37 PM
After watching a few games, it seems that fast puma was the best counter. But most game were over pretty fast and it's not because of bar or strafe run.

+
# 15skaffa Jul 9 2007, 19:01 PM
used it a lot in 2v2's on mcGechans, nice long lanes for strafin runs, i always got nades to get the fuels and then tech to tankdepot.

chi3f does this tactic also, he used it vs me in the tourny. 1 engie start, rifles to tankdepot.

+
# 16Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 20:51 PM
QUOTE(Cheps @ Jul 9 2007, 11:37 AM) *

But most game were over pretty fast and it's not because of bar or strafe run.

Well, the single Engineer start is a large part of this, and both the BAR and strafing run are meant to solidify the map control I've gained once the axis player begins field more powerful and numerous infantry units.

Concerning the fast puma, remember that the first point is spent on recon run, so before you pick strafing run you should recon your opponent's base and react accordingly. If he is going tier 3, get paratroopers instead of strafing run, if he's going tier 2, get strafing run.

+
# 17Eris Jul 9 2007, 21:00 PM
cool strat happy.gif

+
# 18Riisto Jul 9 2007, 21:05 PM
Concerning the fast puma, remember that the first point is spent on recon run, so before you pick strafing run you should recon your opponent's base and react accordingly. If he is going tier 3, get paratroopers instead of strafing run, if he's going tier 2, get strafing run.

Good point - didn't see you do it too often though, but that removes the pain of puma.

+
# 19Golradaer Jul 9 2007, 21:07 PM
I didn't think of it until now biggrin.gif. I learn so much when I actually write up things that I've been using lol.

+
# 20chief Jul 9 2007, 21:41 PM
yeah, its a good strat, ive been using it since 1.7 . airborne is probably the most veristile company and it gives you a lot of flexibility

Game: Cod World at War

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)