Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

How to effectively deal with MG42s

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 113laded Nov 4 2007, 22:13 PM
British tip #2

How to effectively deal with MG42s

The British are considered to be the least aggresively-minded team, however, against the Wehrmacht forces the British can gain dominance in the early-game to the extent that they will be almost certain of victory. The Volks vs. Tommy engagements are a no-brainer, especially when officers are kept with the main fighting force and in a safe position to avoid losing them. Therefore the British must be concerned with how to deal with MG42s in order to avoid suppression and inevitable retreats, which for the British are far more costly due to the time taken to move from one point to another outside your own territory. The following list consists of several of the most effective methods of dealing with early MG42s and thereby taking the fight to the Wehrmacht forces :

#1 - Snipe and Dash : Use a Recon element to Snipe the MG team and this will disable it for a period of time, during this period run through the MG team and your opponent will be forced to retreat it or lose the squad.

#2 - Mortar Emplacements : Tommies are able to build Mortar Emplacements within your controlled territory and the Mortar Emplacement is a key asset of the British army. Build Mortar Emplacements behind natural defences such as hedges and houses to avoid them taking fire and to fully exploit their power as indirect-fire weapons of doom! The Mortar emplacement will swiftly deal with the best placed MG42s and force the Wehrmacht commander to re-located to a backward position, allowing you to continue your advance in the name of King George!

#3 - Rifle Grenades : Rifle Grenades are an excellent counter to MG42s as they have good range and excellent anti-infantry capabilities - Tommies equipped with Rifle Grenades will win against an MG42 team provided they are in heavy cover at the time. However, an even more effective method of dealing with MG42s with Rifle Grenades is the Smoke Grenade ability which can be used to obscure the weapon crew long enough for you to either charge it or for the Rifle Grenades to eliminate it themselves. Rifle Grenades are also able to be fired over obstructions which would normally prevent infantry from firing, such as hedges and therefore can be used to dislodge poorly placed MG42s from relative safety.

#4 Heroic Charge : At Level1 Veterancy the lieutenant recieves the 'Heroic Charge' ability which reduces the suppression on surrounding infantry units and thereby allows your infantry sections to move closer and into nearby cover en masse in order to eliminate the MG42 team.

There are, of course, the standard methods of dealing with MGs, such as flanking and using a whacking big tank but these specific British tips are effective and quick methods of pressing your Wehrmacht opponent hard enough in the early-game that he can never recover. Also always remember to use trenches!

By 12azor

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2nateums Nov 5 2007, 08:35 AM
and for thr rifle grans you can alos be behind objects (buildings, hedgs) and you can also be moving with no penalty unless they fixed it and i missed the release notes

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3butterflyz Nov 5 2007, 09:13 AM
Thats what i dont like about the Brits vs Wehrmacht there are 50 different ways how to own a Wehrmacht either mg,bunker,squad or what so ever.
Would be much more interesting how to protect your MG -42 from immortal Mortar emplacements in early game.

About killing mg early game a brencarrier with a squad can easily flank and kill an MG-42 .

+
# 4Fiasco Nov 5 2007, 09:54 AM
Thats what i dont like about the Brits vs Wehrmacht there are 50 different ways how to own a Wehrmacht either mg,bunker,squad or what so ever.
Would be much more interesting how to protect your MG -42 from immortal Mortar emplacements in early game.

About killing mg early game a brencarrier with a squad can easily flank and kill an MG-42

U said it all

I really dont think british have to fear the MG42

+
# 5BoomingSooner Nov 5 2007, 13:37 PM
Agreed MGs are owned by rifle grenades.

+
# 6Demetric Nov 5 2007, 17:03 PM
QUOTE(butterflyz @ Nov 5 2007, 10:13 AM) *

About killing mg early game a brencarrier with a squad can easily flank and kill an MG-42 .

Funny that was exactly what i was thinking while reading this. I can even add more.

Commandos free and overpowered smoke ability is also great to get behind or in range of some nades... Face it, the MG42 has become obsolete... almost.

+
# 713laded Nov 5 2007, 18:53 PM
QUOTE(nateums @ Nov 5 2007, 08:35 AM) *

and for thr rifle grans you can alos be behind objects (buildings, hedgs) and you can also be moving with no penalty unless they fixed it and i missed the release notes

That's in there. Dunno about the no penalty tho,

As for the rest of the stuff said - MGs are what british fear the most at the start of the game as they can own volks, i've had a lot of sucess using MGs against the british and i doubt i could've won without them most of the time.

+
# 8LittleRed Nov 5 2007, 19:16 PM
As usual, combined forces are the best way to deal with the enemy. A lonely mg emplacement is a sitting duck against allies, so a good wermacht player needs to have some additional units (sniper, mortar, mp44 volks, grens, flamethrower engies...) to have increased chances of success.

+
# 9Comrade One Nov 5 2007, 21:14 PM
QUOTE(13laded @ Nov 4 2007, 16:13 PM) *

using a whacking big tank

Lol, that's awesome.

Good tip.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 10derrida Nov 6 2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah your only real chance is to pin them early, before they can get rifle nades, and they only have the sniper squad, another infantry section, and maybe an LT. They might still be able to snipe and rush, but that's much more difficult, depending on how far they are from the MG.

They will probably crawl into a building, or retreat elsewhere and try to set up their little camp, but you've just bought yourself some time, and that's what Wehr needs in a fight against the British rifle gang...

+
# 11(2)manno™ Nov 8 2007, 04:27 AM
Honestly, these are so embarrassingly simple, you'd hope Relic would start here on fixing this game.

I mean take #1 for instance, you basically pay some munis and it's bye bye mg.

#2 you build the most basic British emplacement and it's bye bye mg.

#3 - again you pay some munis and find some heavy cover for the hat trick on ways to take out an mg.

And as I see above, there are at least 100 other simple ways to wtfpwn an mg42 squad. None of these requires the least bit of skill (as flanking an mg might) or more than 1 unit, rendering the vaunted Werhmacht MG42 (which historically was to be feared and avoided) and the rest of the Werhmacht Quarters completely useless and toothless.

Doesn't make any sense. In fact, why even bother with the Werhmacht v British at all? Gimme a great way to kill an early PE HT. Now that's worth something.

This post has been edited by 2manno: Nov 8 2007, 04:28 AM

+
# 12.exe Nov 8 2007, 14:23 PM
Great tip, also if its not possible to get behind the mg, take heavy cover can effectively take out mg in the front

+
# 13SayNoToStim Nov 8 2007, 14:32 PM
Killing an MG42 as the british is easier than pissing in the shower, and not half as fun.

A well placed MG42 can turn the tide of battles early on, but it takes more skill to use an MG than to kill one.

+
# 1413laded Nov 8 2007, 18:48 PM
QUOTE(2manno @ Nov 8 2007, 04:27 AM) *

Honestly, these are so embarrassingly simple, you'd hope Relic would start here on fixing this game.

I mean take #1 for instance, you basically pay some munis and it's bye bye mg.

#2 you build the most basic British emplacement and it's bye bye mg.

#3 - again you pay some munis and find some heavy cover for the hat trick on ways to take out an mg.

And as I see above, there are at least 100 other simple ways to wtfpwn an mg42 squad. None of these requires the least bit of skill (as flanking an mg might) or more than 1 unit, rendering the vaunted Werhmacht MG42 (which historically was to be feared and avoided) and the rest of the Werhmacht Quarters completely useless and toothless.

Doesn't make any sense. In fact, why even bother with the Werhmacht v British at all? Gimme a great way to kill an early PE HT. Now that's worth something.

#1 If you don't support your mgs then sure.

#2 not really true, you've got to get it up and then it's only within it's radius assuming you defend it therefore leaving squads doing nothing which is a massive waste.

#3 RIFLENADES R OP. They need a fix yeah? I agree with you on that one, they're gaysauce.

MGs still rock. Fact.

+
# 1512azor Nov 8 2007, 23:35 PM
QUOTE(Demetric @ Nov 5 2007, 17:03 PM) *

Funny that was exactly what i was thinking while reading this. I can even add more.

Commandos free and overpowered smoke ability is also great to get behind or in range of some nades... Face it, the MG42 has become obsolete... almost.

Early-game if you read the tip and Commandos are not early-game, by that stage an MG42 is relatively useless.

QUOTE(13laded @ Nov 5 2007, 18:53 PM) *

That's in there. Dunno about the no penalty tho,

As for the rest of the stuff said - MGs are what british fear the most at the start of the game as they can own volks, i've had a lot of sucess using MGs against the british and i doubt i could've won without them most of the time.

As have I - MG42s are the most useful thing in stalling the British and slowing them down enough to own them later as the tip explains.

QUOTE(derrida @ Nov 6 2007, 07:31 AM) *

Yeah your only real chance is to pin them early, before they can get rifle nades, and they only have the sniper squad, another infantry section, and maybe an LT. They might still be able to snipe and rush, but that's much more difficult, depending on how far they are from the MG.

They will probably crawl into a building, or retreat elsewhere and try to set up their little camp, but you've just bought yourself some time, and that's what Wehr needs in a fight against the British rifle gang...

Supporting MG42s is a simple and obvious thing to do and has been necessary from day 1 of CoH and well-used MG42s win the early-game for Wehrmacht and always will do - suppressing squads early = win.

QUOTE(SayNoToStim @ Nov 8 2007, 14:32 PM) *

Killing an MG42 as the british is easier than pissing in the shower, and not half as fun.

A well placed MG42 can turn the tide of battles early on, but it takes more skill to use an MG than to kill one.

Exactly the point of the tip - early on a MG42 can stall the British and most British players I've faced struggle to deal with it properly so I wrote this tip eyebrow.gif .

+
# 16GROFMikeros Jan 14 2009, 13:43 PM
another way to hit an mg 42 with your tommies is to use the smoke grenades of your rifle grenades. it is not useful at the very early game but the smoke cover is a heavy cover. that means that you can deploy a sandbag's strength cover in 2 secs with 35 munis.

smoke is one of the best support for infantry charging against an mg.

deploy smoke, once it is deployed, place your inf inside smoke and start barrage enemy positionat the same time. "missed" mortar/rifle nades rounds will suppress the inf covering the flanks of mg making them easy targets too.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)