Company of Heroes: Modern Combat

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1DeadKennyIsDead Nov 25 2007, 23:53 PM
Company of Heroes: Modern Combat
Forums
Press Release 2
Press Release 3

Introduction

This mod will create a deep, entertaining vision of modern warfare, pitting the modern-day Chinese and American militaries against each other. These two unique factions, with their all-new companies, abilities, and artwork, will work together with the outstanding starting platform that is Company of Heroes in an effort to provide the most immersing, tactical, and fun approximation of modern strategic combat on your PC.

Almost everything in this post is subject to change at any point. This is far from a final outline, and doesn’t include many specifics, but is rather intended to generate interest in the mod as a whole. If you like the concept please visit and register at our forums. We are actively looking for more team members so if you know how to model, map, texture, program, or have some other skill we may need don’t hesitate to put in an application on our forums.

Americans

This faction will emphasize mobility and high technology in order to win battles, with units such as the M1A2 Abrams battle tank, and the AH64 Apache attack helicopter being used in concert with elite infantry.

The infantry will deploy as three man squads, however, you can attach further specialized units to each one in a similar manner as the British can do with officers. These specialized units, such as anti-tank missileers, will specialize the squad into its roll on the field, whether it be anti-tank, anti-infantry, or even anti-air.

The armor for the Americans will consist of Stryker attack vehicles, M2 Bradleys, the M1A2 Abrams. These vehicles will be complemented by several variations of the versatile HMMWV, and will work together with the infantry to wipe the Chinese forces off the map.

The American base will be a small mobile deployable vehicle that can be upgraded to allow different units to be deployed from the off-map spawn point.

American Factions:
Mechanized Command
This faction will allow the commander access to several varieties of HMMWV, such as anti-tank and anti-air, as well as the deadly M1A2 Abrams.

Air Superiority:
This faction will allow you to call on the deadly A10 strikes, or to deploy the AH-64 Apache to the field, as well as deny airspace to the enemy with F-35 JSF patrols, along with several other useful abilities.

Preemptive Strike:
This faction will allow you to deploy elite SEALs, as well as the UH60-BlackHawk, and the M-109 Paladin to the field. This faction will emphasize quick surgical strikes, and covert operations to win the battle.

Chinese

The Chinese will rely on vast numbers of units to win the battles, with larger infantry squads and cheaper tanks the Chinese will attempt to overwhelm with massive quantities of men and equipment.

The Chinese infantry squads will feature a global upgrade that increases their size from 6 to 8. These infantry will have individual squad upgrades for weapons.

Chinese Vehicles
Includes the All-Terrain Mobility Platform: , a heavier but slower version of the Fast Attack Vehicle, can be used for late early-game and early mid game infantry support, as well as the ZSD89 Armored Personnel Carrier , an armored personnel carrier. This one is like the all round vehicle to the Chinese. This vehicle has many upgrades depending on your doctrine choice and tier, and can prove very useful for many different situations.

Armor:
ZTZ96 (Type 96) Main Battle Tank, the basic heavy tank for the Chinese, and the Type 99, which provides the punch of the tank/arty doctrine when combined with the artillery to clear out AT infestations. These tanks can get the explosive reactive armor from the tank/heavy artillery doctrine, which vastly increases its survivability in late-game armor battles.

Artillery Pieces

The Chinese will have two types of artillery, the PLL01 155MM howitzer, a howitzer that can be built on the map by engineers like the American infantry doctrine howitzer. This gun is immovable once built and takes substantial pop-cap to balance its power, and the TYPE 81 122MM multiple launch rocket system which is a truck that carries a 122mm multiple launch rocket system, which can fire single rockets (low reload time, low munitions cost, relatively low damage) or a big rocket salvo (huge reload time and a high munitions cost, enormous damage)

Doctrine 1: Airborne

Allows para-dropped vehicles and troops, as well as air cover and helicopters. This doctrine is similar in many respects to the US Airborne doctrine in vCoH.

Doctrine 2: Tank/Heavy artillery

Allows access to Laser Guided Projectiles for artillery, as well as the WS-2 MLRS rocket truck for one side, and reactive armor upgrades for tanks, the GBL130 Mine dispenser personel carrier, and the Type 99 Main Battle Tank

Doctrine 3: TBD

Work done so far

I know this is what you all want to see, the models and the screenshots so far!

American doctrine-selection screen (in-game screenshot)
IPB Image

M16
IPB Image

UAV
IPB Image

Type 56 (Chinese assault rifle)
IPB Image

HMMWV (Base)
IPB Image

This post has been edited by DeadKennyIsDead: Sep 2 2008, 19:20 PM

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 2Keating Nov 26 2007, 03:18 AM
Sounds great, I hope this fully comes around (I think there have been a few projects that just died). Great starting model work and doctrine screen. thumb.gif

I will be the first to place bets that the chinese arty will be OP smilie_bleh.gif

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3mister riz Nov 26 2007, 12:56 PM
Nuts!

Go for it though, I'll defo give it a bash!

Game: None

+
# 4DeadKennyIsDead Nov 26 2007, 14:09 PM
QUOTE(Keating @ Nov 25 2007, 22:18 PM) *

Sounds great, I hope this fully comes around (I think there have been a few projects that just died). Great starting model work and doctrine screen. thumb.gif

I will be the first to place bets that the chinese arty will be OP smilie_bleh.gif

We will be designing this mod for balance and gameplay ahead of reallism, so this shouldnt happen, and if it does it will quickly be remedied within a short time of it becoming apparent.

+
# 5mister riz Nov 26 2007, 14:14 PM
QUOTE(DeadKennyIsDead @ Nov 26 2007, 14:09 PM) *

We will be designing this mod for balance and gameplay ahead of reallism, so this shouldnt happen, and if it does it will quickly be remedied within a short time of it becoming apparent.

lol Relic take note tongue.gif

Game: None

+
# 6Rowsdower Nov 26 2007, 15:42 PM
Sounds nice.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 7OnkelSam Nov 26 2007, 17:39 PM
sounds like a BIG project. I am defenitely looking forward to it.

Do you have an ETA or rough idea of when first playable versions are available?

+
# 8DeadKennyIsDead Nov 27 2007, 03:20 AM
Rough ETA? Probably a very very very long time laugh.gif
If anyone knows how to model/skin/map/code/whatever go visit our forums and put in an application, the more people we have the less time it will take.

+
# 9Two Nov 27 2007, 17:30 PM
best way to get help is to skin 1 unit and 1 model shove them ingame and take a screen tongue.gif makes it look alot further into development lol and makes people go wow and join.

Got have have graphics set to the max though lol tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Two: Nov 27 2007, 17:31 PM

+
# 10Unkn0wn Nov 27 2007, 18:09 PM
How do you plan on importing the models without the tools?

+
# 11DeadKennyIsDead Nov 27 2007, 18:46 PM
We will wait for the tools to get our content ingame, until then we will get all the content ready and get the game ready with standard CoH units acting as stand-ins for the new ones. Then once we can import we will do a quick swap, before then we can get a lot of the balance and stuff done with the stand-in units, so assuming the tools release in the next year we shouldnt be set back too far.

+
# 12Rogers Nov 27 2007, 23:25 PM
looks great!

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 13Mr. Someguy Nov 27 2007, 23:34 PM
Is it to late for major design suggestions?

+
# 142FAST4YA Nov 28 2007, 00:32 AM
Is this for REAL? Or are you just making fool of us?

Just curious...

+
# 15DeadKennyIsDead Nov 28 2007, 06:10 AM
QUOTE(Mr. Someguy @ Nov 27 2007, 18:34 PM) *

Is it to late for major design suggestions?

Nope, its still a long ways from too late

QUOTE(2FAST4YA @ Nov 27 2007, 19:32 PM) *

Is this for REAL? Or are you just making fool of us?

Just curious...

Its for real, its going to be a lot of work so its a long ways from completion, but its real

+
# 16Unkn0wn Nov 28 2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure squads of 3 would the appropriate number for American Infantry, even if it's just for sake of realism. I understand the concept of trying to focus on high technology, low numbers but I believe it's more satisfying for the player when they'll be able to control 5 - 6 man squads simular to the CoH feel. (As it has proven to be a perfect squad number.)

To compensate for this however imho, they should have their infantry more costly.
That should be the true represenation of the US forces. Powerful, Hightech, Expensive & low numbers.

Attaching units to other units is an interesting concept as the officers in OF have proven however for actual combat they have proven not to be a great solution. Multiple larger squads being micromanaged individually allows for more control than smaller squads with attachments.

(Imho the AI is not optimised enough to guarantee good performance when attached to other units)

Just throwing some ideas out here wink.gif.

+
# 17Rowsdower Nov 28 2007, 12:38 PM
I thought american fire teams were four men units? M203, rifle, lmg and squad leader? Or am I wrong?

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 18Unkn0wn Nov 28 2007, 13:35 PM
Fireteams yes. (Note that they're sometimes made out of 5 guys too)
Squads however are usually composed out of 2 fireteams smile.gif.

+
# 19DeadKennyIsDead Nov 28 2007, 13:42 PM
The forth man would be what you attatched to it, such as a MG gunner or something like that.
Yes for additional control you could choose not to attatch the units, just as the brits can choose not to attatch their Lietenants, however I will be tweaking the code with how the attatchment works so hopefully I can make it work more like we want it to

+
# 20Two Nov 28 2007, 15:58 PM
IMO i think the squad should come with 4 men and have upgrades (mg, nade launcher), then the solo man wont be targeted so easily like officers are. and make the squad only able to get 1 upgrade of each, or just 1 upgrade or 2 depends if you want gameplay or realism (i dont really know much about the US military at this point tongue.gif)

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)