Explore GameReplays...

Universe at War

Your first impressions of the game

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1KlunG Dec 12 2007, 15:54 PM
I would like to hear your first impressions of the game whether youve tried it for an hour or a day +++. Would be nice for other people to know how the game is if they are uncertain whether they should buy it or not smile.gif

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: Generals 2

+
# 2MeZa Dec 12 2007, 21:50 PM
Ugh, some help is needed here, lol.. I want to buy it, but dont want to just buy yet ANOTHER game to collect dust. My collection is full of games I never play, so some good pro's and con's with this game would be nice.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3Ransoah Dec 12 2007, 22:41 PM
QUOTE(MeZa @ Dec 12 2007, 17:50 PM) *

Ugh, some help is needed here, lol.. I want to buy it, but dont want to just buy yet ANOTHER game to collect dust. My collection is full of games I never play, so some good pro's and con's with this game would be nice.

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 4Vesuvius Dec 13 2007, 20:07 PM
My first impression: I wish more people had it so I don't have to wait 15 minutes to destroy a newb in 5.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5Shadowfury333 Dec 13 2007, 21:43 PM
QUOTE(Doggiedoodle @ Dec 13 2007, 12:07 PM) *
My first impression: I wish more people had it so I don't have to wait 15 minutes to destroy a newb in 5.

Once it's on Steam, I'll be there, although I kinda want to check out the singleplayer, see what the story is.

Game: None

+
# 6Struja Dec 13 2007, 22:03 PM
do you have any info when it's gonna get on steam ?

+
# 7Shadowfury333 Dec 13 2007, 23:26 PM
It keeps saying December 13th, but it's 3:26PM PST on December 13th, and the game still isn't up.

Game: None

+
# 8Utred Dec 17 2007, 12:57 PM
QUOTE(MeZa @ Dec 12 2007, 22:50 PM) *

Pros: it's a great game
Cons: Windows Live.

If enough people would buy it, we could get a league going on GR but that'll be hard because nobody is buying it with Live.

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 9.gunz Dec 17 2007, 17:25 PM
After playing through the novus campaign yesterday there are a few things I would note:

First off my rig: AMD Athlon XP 3000+(2.2gz) w/ 1gig ram, cheapo mobo, and a radeon 9600(256meg version)

Honestly I have no idea how this game plays as smoothly as it does. On medium settings with no AA of course, and there where a few times the frame rate hit sub teens, but all in all I gota say I'm impressed with the low-end performance of the game.

Secondly... theres just some blatant rip offs. The Novus Dervish has the same ability that the new protoss(SC2) air-to-air unit(Phoenix?) has.* I mean, it even looks almost(read: exactly) the same... And the Novus' melee unit using "energy blades" is sort-of familiar also WTF.gif ...

Other then those 2 minor coincidences everything else seems refreshingly new, or at least re imagined well.

Third... well it's a "live" game......... VeryFunny.gif (Hopefully the successors will not be "live")

IMO it has a chance as a good tourny/lan game. But we'll see.

edit:
*It looks like both are a rip-off of an old movie.

This post has been edited by Shotgun Artist: Dec 17 2007, 20:48 PM

+
# 10Luga Dec 17 2007, 17:54 PM
Urm.. You DO know, that UaW was announced BEFORE SC2 right? and that, Petroglyph got no such thing as a timemachine?

Game: Universe at War

+
# 11.gunz Dec 17 2007, 18:09 PM
QUOTE(Luga @ Dec 17 2007, 17:54 PM) *

Urm.. You DO know, that UaW was announced BEFORE SC2 right? and that, Petroglyph got no such thing as a timemachine?

Can you find proof that the Dervish had this ability documented before we(the whole world) saw the Phoenix in the first SC2 movie?

If so, then I apologize for being ignorant and just assuming.

+
# 12Utred Dec 17 2007, 18:28 PM
I do think that the dervish stuff was announced before the phoenix.
Btw SC2 did enough ripping from CNC3 too. And so did CNC3.
After a while it becomes hard to only use stuff that hasn't been used before.

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 13Luga Dec 17 2007, 19:32 PM
What utred said. you can also say that SC2 ripped off of the walkers from UaW with the "walkers" of Protoss(I forget their name)

But the truth is though that, it gets hard to come up with things not already thought of someone else at some point

+
# 14.gunz Dec 17 2007, 20:17 PM
Oh, and Orlok sounds like Praetor Fenix.

And I'm not saying anything about any other unit, the main thing being the Dervish's death blossom. I didn't follow UAW since conception so I'm going to give you guys the benefit here but if you look at the 2 units doing their animation you can't help but think one was ripped off. Still any press release, or any other hard-dated information about the Dervish would be helpful. (Sega's UAW website is poor at best.)

Also... you can't steal things like a "walker". It's a quadruped, the schematics are provided by nature. It's things like upgradeable hard points that are could be considered IP, and therefor could be ripped off.

+
# 15vb4 Dec 17 2007, 20:26 PM
I think he meant the ability to move up cliffs as rip-off.

I remember the Novus being first shown in March or April... The dervish followed some weeks after that.
But the design of the units is completely different. Only the attack looks similar.
Afaik both are based on some ultimate attack of some movie about some videogame that was once popular... (I think I'm a bit vague. xD I'll do some research...)

Edit:
It seems the movie was called "the last starfighter".
I'm not really sure, but my memory tells me this was the name.
Wikipedia link

This post has been edited by vb4: Dec 17 2007, 20:33 PM

+
# 16Malid Dec 23 2007, 11:01 AM
QUOTE(Shotgun Artist @ Dec 17 2007, 20:17 PM) *

And I'm not saying anything about any other unit, the main thing being the Dervish's death blossom. I didn't follow UAW since conception so I'm going to give you guys the benefit here but if you look at the 2 units doing their animation you can't help but think one was ripped off. Still any press release, or any other hard-dated information about the Dervish would be helpful.

Developers said the Dervish was infact inspired from "The Last Starfighter", and i would not be surprised if Blizzard found the very same film inspiring for their unit. Its quite a sight.

+
# 17Drumble Dec 24 2007, 22:38 PM
I wasn't going to purchase UaW because of the way beta was handled but I just couldn't resist buying this game. It really doesn't disappoint, there are some annoying bugs but none of them are game breakers. Global conquest sure looks like it would be a lot of fun, unfortunately there is never anyone playing it. I fear this game has flopped extremely bad and that there will be no further support. Players are extremely scarce, it is very eerie booting up such a fantastic new game and seeing maybe 10 people online. I am really hoping for a Christmas miracle and a sudden explosion of players. Though I think the choice of GFWL and the inexplicable mediocre reviews have killed this game.

I am glad I bought the game, even if its the end is just over the horizon.

+
# 18Luga Dec 24 2007, 23:46 PM
If you watch the offical forums, there is an extreme amount of support there from the developers as they directly talk with the community about bugs and wishes they want/spot in the game

+
# 19Zinc Dec 26 2007, 15:46 PM
Everything I've seen and read about it makes it awesome for multiplayer, if they didn't have Games for Windows Live involved I would have gotten it long ago. This brings back memories of Rise of Legends (another awesome game) with a dead online community so much squandered potential it drives me nuts. When I was looking for something different this definitely takes the cake. All 3 races have a really different resource system and playstyle. I haven't seen any RTS this diverse in a while. I don't take the story line of the game seriously but flavor/design of the units/factions are pretty cool. I have a game screenshot as my wallpaper while not even purchasing it yet. Hopefully with the 360 release it's flooded with online players as console games unfortunately sell much better than PC games.

This post has been edited by Zinc: Dec 26 2007, 15:48 PM

+
# 20Chokolata Dec 29 2007, 22:58 PM
yep, GFWL pwned UAW.... They shouldve gone with Geyspy

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)