Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

#70 - 20/02/08 - Dragon Tanks

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Flamzypants Feb 20 2008, 18:16 PM
The Dragon Tank

Hay guise biggrin.gif Welcome to this week’s TotW! It’s about the one and only Dragon Tank. It’ll help you understand, in a clearer way, when and how to use this amazing unit.

Written by Slayd_CraVen smile.gif

As you all know, The Chinese factions (especially vanilla China) are always stepped on by the other factions because they barely have any fast units. But they all have one great unit that makes up for this lack of speed with sheer firepower. It’s the Dragon Tank! wink.gif
The Dragon tank is a great anti-infantry, anti-light-vehicle and anti-structural unit. It’s also quite decent against tanks, if used properly. It inflicts flame damage, just like MiGs and inferno cannons, so that means it can be upgraded to deal another 25% damage with the Black Napalm upgrade. It is also China's only way to clear garrisoned buildings.

Range

The dragon tank has a very short range. However, there’s a trick to increase this range to just about as much as that of a quad cannon.
The dragon tank has a small trail of fire that comes out after it hits something, including the ground. This can be used to your advantage. Below is a picture of the leftover flame.

Attached Image

This flame damages everything just as much as the close-range one (which, mind you, rapes any light vehicle in seconds).

Below is an example of how to pwn a quad cannon by holding control and rapidly clicking the area marked with an X; you will use this leftover flame to destroy the quad cannon.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Dragon tanks are now greater than (>) Gattling tanks, quad cannons, towvees and groups of 3 technicals or less.
Below are a couple more examples of how to rape these units, which would usually rape you.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Wall of flames

Attached Image

The dragon tank has a unique ability called the “Wall of Flames” which decreases its flame strength but gives it a huge damage infliction radius. The wall of flames is so powerful against structures, that it can take out a command center faster than a heroic angry mob armed with AK-47s, which is around 4 seconds. But when these structures are smaller, the wall placement gets quite difficult...

Tunnel networks

Dragon tanks are china’s key counter to tunnel networks. The wall of flames can burn anything that tries popping out of the tunnel and the tunnel itself. However, again, you need to learn to place your wall of flame in a certain way to actually burn down the tunnel.
Below is a screenshot that shows a bad wall placement.

Attached Image

As you can see, the tunnel is barely getting hit by the wall and the dragon tank is getting hurt faster than the tunnel. Units may also pop out and kill the dragon tank without getting damaged.
The X is where the player had clicked to start his/her wall of flames.

Below is another photo showing a decent wall of flames that will burn down the tunnel, but not kill any units that come out.

Attached Image

Or...

Attached Image
Attached Image

The player had placed his dragon tank far away from the tunnel and spread out his wall of flames so that just the start of the wall would hit the tunnel. You can clearly see that the quads were able to pop out and rape the dragon tank in no time.
The X is where he/she had clicked to start his/her wall of flames.

Below is the perfect way to place your wall of flame, as the dragon tank’s snout is bent down, making the wall smaller and more powerful. It will burn any unit that comes out of the tunnel and rape the tunnel itself.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Here is another example of the action and the outcome.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Observe how 8 out of 10 quad cannons get pwned (If the player was bad and didn't spread out his units, they would have all died along with the tunnel and the dragon tank would have survived). The X is where the player had clicked to start his/her wall of flames. You have to wait until the dragon tank is immobile and then click right under it. This will make the wall much more efficient against smaller structures, and even tanks.

Tanks

Below is an example of how not to attack when confronted with a tank.

Attached Image

As you see, the wall is barely or not even hitting the tank and the dragon tank would be getting “pwned” without the ECM support.
The X is where the player clicked to start his/her wall of flames.

Below is an example of the right way to attack when confronted with a tank.

However, if the tank is immobile, the dragon tank's regular fire will take it out faster than a wall of flames. This also requires the click-infront-of-the-unit trick, as the flames will usually just fly over the tank if you don't use it.

Attached Image

As you can see, the flames are all burning the tank directly and none are zooming past it. The tank will not survive, as if the dragon tank did not use this tactic, it would have died.

Palaces

Attached Image

When you’re attacking and can’t afford a bunch of MiGs, or you have no general’s abilities ready and you have to take out a palace, the dragon tank supported with an ECM is a perfect way to get rid of your troubles.
The wall of flame placement is not really important here, as the palace is a big structure. Since the garrisoned soldiers’ rockets are deflected by the ECM, they become useless and the enemy loses $4000.

The Dragon Tank Drop

Attached Image

The dragon tank drop is a move that turns the tide of most games; the unit becomes ten times more amazing and useful when dropped off by a helix. This is perfect when enemy lacks anti air and/or has a precious building unguarded.

Against USA, this is mostly used to take out strategy centers when the enemy’s SnD (search and destroy battleplan) humvees are attacking and they have no/few leftover defences. However, it can be used to take out particle cannons and any other structure as well.

Against China this can be used when the helix is upgraded with a speaker tower, since it is resistant to getting attacked by 4 MiGs, to sneak in an attack onto the enemy’s airfield. It may also take out a poorly guarded nuclear missile or any other structure that has an unguarded opening.

Against GLA, this can be perfect for killing a boxed-in base, a couple of blackmarkets that have weak defences or any other structure that has an unguarded opening.

Attached Image

I hope this has helped you with your dragon tank usage, and that you don’t lose one to a pesky tunnel or quad cannon anymore. biggrin.gif
As always, look forward to next week’s tip!

Clan: [BORG]

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2AngryHan Feb 20 2008, 18:23 PM
Very good! Didn't know about the extended range, could be VERY useful when fighting an annoying gatt thumb.gif

Clan: H2

+
# 3Samus Aran Feb 20 2008, 20:15 PM
QUOTE(hypnotic. @ Feb 20 2008, 12:23 PM) *

Very good! Didn't know about the extended range, could be VERY useful when fighting an annoying gatt thumb.gif

I was surprised myself that dragon tank had a range trick. w00t.gif Pr0 tip bowdown.gif Flamzy forgot to pin it... I guess I'll do it. happy.gif

+
# 4Slayd_CraVen Feb 20 2008, 20:44 PM
w00t.gif

This is what you find out when you have a lot of time to waste playing skirmish against Easy Army. laugh.gif

Luckily, i do that a LOT and find out all this awesome stuff. happy.gif Somehow it never gets boring.

I was expecting this to be really useful to other players, though, so i wrote it as a tip. smile.gif

btw when i click on the #70 - Dragon Tanks link on the front page it sends me to tip #69. Could somebody fix that? ๏̯͡๏)

This post has been edited by Slayd_CraVen: Feb 20 2008, 21:13 PM

+
# 5ChrisLeBlanc Feb 20 2008, 21:14 PM
Nice guide, probably one of the best in a while. Does the dragon range trick out reach gatts / quads?

Clan: Death and Destiny

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 6Flamzypants Feb 20 2008, 22:32 PM
QUOTE(Slayd_CraVen @ Feb 20 2008, 20:44 PM) *
btw when i click on the #70 - Dragon Tanks link on the front page it sends me to tip #69. Could somebody fix that? ๏̯͡๏)

Silly portal went down while editing. Thought I fixed the link.

Clan: [BORG]

+
# 7Pixi Feb 20 2008, 22:56 PM
Awesome trick ! Didn't know about the extended range stuff - Owns ! biggrin.gif

+
# 8Slayd_CraVen Feb 20 2008, 23:14 PM
๏̯͡๏)
^ i love that face! tongue.gif

QUOTE(Fusion. @ Feb 20 2008, 16:14 PM) *

Nice guide, probably one of the best in a while. Does the dragon range trick out reach gatts / quads?

No, it shoots about the length of the quad cannon's cannon (half a quad) less than gatts/quads.
Try it out and practice 'till you get it right. I pwn gats & quads with dragons now smile.gif

Practice makes perfect! biggrin.gif
*sucks at GLA and USA*

This post has been edited by Slayd_CraVen: Feb 21 2008, 00:01 AM

+
# 9Samus Aran Feb 20 2008, 23:20 PM
QUOTE(Slayd_CraVen @ Feb 20 2008, 17:14 PM) *

๏̯͡๏)
^ i love that face! tongue.gif
No, it shoots about the length of the quad cannon's cannon (half a quad) less than gatts/quads.
Try it out and practice 'till you get it right. I pwn gats & quads with dragons now smile.gif

Practice makes perfect! biggrin.gif
*sucks at GLA and USA*

China lover!!! wub.gif Try to discover some other cool things too about china to help them stand better chance. happy.gif

+
# 10Slayd_CraVen Feb 21 2008, 04:23 AM
-Edited post- Nvm, thought of an idea but it was crap. I realised after posting..
(red guard lixes, for those curious people)

This post has been edited by Slayd_CraVen: Feb 21 2008, 04:27 AM

+
# 11hgghg4 Feb 21 2008, 05:23 AM
QUOTE(Samus Aran @ Feb 20 2008, 19:20 PM) *

China lover!!! wub.gif Try to discover some other cool things too about china to help them stand better chance. happy.gif

Whats wrong with China lovers?!?!? VCHINA FTW!!!nif i played more i could figure stuff out like that...that is if i had more time =s

+
# 12cairo Feb 21 2008, 14:16 PM
awesome tip.

i did some testing on this, and discovered two things:

1. the spot right in front of a normal, non nozzle-down firewall takes no damage. this means with the right micro you can sit right behind a bunker or ao and spam firewall that covers the entire area in front of it.

2. with the force-firing mode, the spot in the end where there's a blob of fire takes extra damage. almost twice as much, in fact. Furthermore, you can control where this blob appears by varying how close to the dragon you click. with a bit of practice you could probably always have it right where the enemy unit is.

Unfortunately, the enemy unit can easily move out of the way, and there's a delay before you could follow them with force-attacking. This means that dragons will still get owned by quads and the like. Still, useful vs infantry and clearing out buildings.

This post has been edited by cairo: Feb 21 2008, 15:16 PM

+
# 13the mole Feb 21 2008, 20:05 PM
QUOTE(cairo @ Feb 21 2008, 14:16 PM) *

awesome tip.

i did some testing on this, and discovered two things:

1. the spot right in front of a normal, non nozzle-down firewall takes no damage. this means with the right micro you can sit right behind a bunker or ao and spam firewall that covers the entire area in front of it.

2. with the force-firing mode, the spot in the end where there's a blob of fire takes extra damage. almost twice as much, in fact. Furthermore, you can control where this blob appears by varying how close to the dragon you click. with a bit of practice you could probably always have it right where the enemy unit is.

Unfortunately, the enemy unit can easily move out of the way, and there's a delay before you could follow them with force-attacking. This means that dragons will still get owned by quads and the like. Still, useful vs infantry and clearing out buildings.

good point, unless ur playing against a bad player people with micro around the dragon etc

Game: FPS

+
# 14ReLaX Feb 23 2008, 08:23 AM
Didn't know that, thx!

Clan: Casters & Co.

+
# 15Flanker Feb 26 2008, 14:58 PM
fakkin Pr0 tip - how many things are there still in this 4year old game that I still don't know!!?? Never to old to learn I guess wink.gif

+
# 16FRAN Mar 2 2008, 21:05 PM
good Job

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 17Phantox Mar 8 2008, 21:50 PM
Great TotW. I'm not that good with China but I know this will come in very useful later on when I get random.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)