Explore GameReplays...

Kanes Wrath

I finally found a solution to the Direct3D erro...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Aron Times Apr 2 2008, 21:41 PM
I've had to resort to playing under Low graphics in Kane's Wrath because of all the Direct3D errors that I've been getting, and even with the reduced graphics, I still get them from time to time.

Desperate for a solution, I went to Microsoft.com and downloaded DirectX 10, although the game already installs the latest version of DirectX on your computer. After a short five-minute download, the installer then began updating my DirectX files.

Hm... It seems that Kane's Wrath didn't come with the latest version after all.

To make a long story short, my load times are faster now, and under Medium graphics, not Low. Also, I haven't experienced a Direct3D error since then. I had a false alarm when I accidentally minimized Kane's Wrath, but a click on Kane's Wrath on the taskbar brought it back up.

I'm not sure about this, but I guess the DirectX package that comes with Kane's Wrath is corrupted. Try downloading DirectX 10 from Microsoft.com. Maybe this will solve your problems as well.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Agent GreenFenril CTU Apr 2 2008, 21:55 PM
Are you using Vista or XP?

Because it is my understanding that XP can't run DirectX 10 because of how the kernal is built

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 3Aron Times Apr 2 2008, 22:17 PM
I'm running Windows XP, and it seems to be working fine for me.

Edit: Okay, just did a quick Wikipedia search...

Only Windows Vista systems can run DirectX 10-exclusive applications. This means that if the application has to have DirectX 10, Windows XP can't run it. From my understanding of C&C 3, it isn't DirectX 10-exclusive, but it does benefit from the updates that come with the latest version.

This post has been edited by Joseph Silver: Apr 2 2008, 22:20 PM

+
# 4Agent GreenFenril CTU Apr 2 2008, 22:32 PM
Crappy OS the only OS that can run Direct X 10 exclusive apps.

Why couldn't they make XP run Direct X 10, even though that will require more than just a Service Pack

BTW Joe, how does Vista run with SP1?

+
# 5Aron Times Apr 2 2008, 23:28 PM
I haven't tried Vista yet. I'm going to wait for a few service packs before taking the plunge. Microsoft has a horrible record with new operating systems.

+
# 6Echo Apr 2 2008, 23:50 PM
trying it out now

Game: AirMech

+
# 7Bazar Apr 2 2008, 23:54 PM
QUOTE(Agent GreenFenril CTU @ Apr 3 2008, 11:32 AM) *
Why couldn't they make XP run Direct X 10, even though that will require more than just a Service Pack

Because they want to force windows XP into obsoleteness.
If games get released for vista only, people will be forced to upgrade to vista, or stop playing new games.

Its sort of the same when XP came out, they started paying off game companies (epic games comes to mind), to release patches/updates, and maybe even games that worked on xp only.

I mean take a look at Crisis. To activate very high detail, you need to be running DX10 under vista. Alternitivly you can just get a patch/crack and it'll unlock it for you under XP, because its simply been disabled for reasons that aren't technical.

MS are pulling their weight, and even their cash, to make life harder for those not upgrading to Vista... although given the sad sorry state that vista is in, I'd say those who use it have it much harder.</rant>

+
# 8Echo Apr 3 2008, 00:26 AM
didn't do anything tbh

Game: AirMech

+
# 9Agent GreenFenril CTU Apr 3 2008, 00:50 AM
Still getting DX10 errors echo?

I wonder if the majority of issues are caused by Vista. I only errored out once, and that's it, and I use XP

This post has been edited by Agent GreenFenril CTU: Apr 3 2008, 00:50 AM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)