Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

British Q&A

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1daeyeth Sep 3 2008, 15:24 PM
British Q&A

Q: What are the teching requirements/how do I access this unit?

A: Technology Tree Cheat Sheet

Q: What should be the first unit out of the Field Support Truck (Tier 2)?

A: This depends on how the game has been going up the point and how early/late your FST is. In a game where you've had the early advantage, it might be a good idea to build a captain first en route to the fast Stuart to press your advantage. If the game is going really well you might forgo the Stuart and just go straight for the Armor Command Truck (Tier 3) and the quick Cromwell (This scenario usually involves controlling most fuel points and/or denying fuel to your opponent). Finally, if the game is even or going poorly, quick AT is a neccisity as you will likely face vehicles before you have any armor of your own to fend it off. It's a good Idea in these cases to build Sappers and either upgrade with piats or build bofors/17pdr as you see fit.

Q: Regarding capturing Victory Points (VPs), how soon should I dedicate the time to cap them?

A: The most important priority in the early game is to a) secure resources, b) deny your opponent resources, and c) keep your units in a productive act. To that end, cap the VPs when you have no pressing battles or issues to tend to and preferably with low-attack power units. You can always go back and take the VPs once you've secured the majority of the resources. Economy first. VPs second. Of course don't wait too long, but generally 100-200 and in some cases (when total map control is at hand despite losing on VPs) even 300 points can tick off before it becomes REALLY pressing.

Q: I wanted to build an Observation Post as British, but Sappers or Infantry can't build them so what can?

A: British can't make OPs as their base buildings act as mobile OPs. Once they are set up on a point, the sector they are in will produce more resources. You can also buy the Secured Resources upgrade on trucks which will further increase the income you receive from points.

Q: My Infantry sometimes move slow and other times move very fast, why is this?

A: British infantry in neutral or enemy territory will move at half the speed. Units who can move at regular speed outside of friendly territory are tommies with the recon upgrade, sappers with the detect and disposal upgrade, the captain, or lieutenants, who will also allow any nearby squads to move at regular speed.

Q: How do I deal with a fast Panzer Elite mortar?

A: The best options are to get a stuart or overrun it with multiple tommies carrying a bren and button it. PE halftracks are susceptible to small arms fire. PIATs and the bren carrier with the MG upgrade using AP rounds also work.

Q: How do you deal with Marders?

A: Since marders can't effectively kill infantry, overrun its support with tommies and move in with PIATs for the kill. Fast moving light vehicles like the stuart and the tetriarch can also be used against them with skillful micro by circling around the marders faster than they their slow turrets can aim.

Q: How do I deal with Wehrmacht MGs early game as the British?

A: A well placed mortar emplacement is the most effective option as it will negate MGs within the given section. If you want something more mobile you can use the bren carrier with the MG upgrade to flank around them as the bren will do excellent damage to the MGs. The rifle grenades upgrade on tommies are also good at displacing MGs by shooting over hedges or using smoke grenades to stop suppression. You can also use one tommy as a decoy to take all the fire while you flank around the other side with your other squads. Lastly, the heroic charge ability will make nearby squads temporarily immune to suppression.

Q: When should I move my HQ truck?

A: The standard time to move your HQ truck is after you build your first unit. The early you move it, the more effective it is in terms of gaining additional resources and being a forward base for units to retreat to.

Q: What else besides the trucks allow Brit infantry to reinforce?

A: Any of the gliders from the Commando Regiment allow your forces to reinforce within friendly territory.

Q: How do you dispose of wire?

A: Run it over with the bren carrier or attack them with rifle grenades.

Q: How does the casualty clearing bunker works ? Rescues fallen soldiers in its radius only ?

A: It heals infantry within the radius and the medics will pick up wounded infantry, returning them to the station who will be converted to a free tommy squad after 5 returns. It's estimated the medics will go as far as three screens length.

Q: What British units can camouflage?

A: PIAT sappers can activate the ambush ability and remain in camo as long as they are stationary. Also any of the commandos (including the MG, mortar, and sappers) from the Commando Regiment can temporarily camouflage with the smoke ability.

Q: What British unit can detect camo units like snipers?

A: The recon squad within medium range.

Q: Can mortar emplacement shoot 360 degrees? If so, why is there an orientable 90 degree arc when setting up the mortar emplacement? Does the arc limit the bombardement ability?

A: The mortar can rotate 360 degrees but it can only fire within the given arc. When a target is outside the invisible arc it must reposition itself before shooting again.
complaining that it would get disabled right away. Maybe that was a vision range thing, though, I'm not sure.

Q: What's the best / easiest way to deal wit the butterfly bombs?

A: The disposal and detection sappers will find reveal them and automatically begin clearing all of them when within range. The recon squad can also reveal them and will shoot them automatically.

Q: How do you effectively deal with stolen trenches?

A: Rifle grenades, commando grenades, and the churchill crocodile flamethrower. Also, enemy units in trenches receive a temporary armor penalty when taking the trench

Q: Does the direction of a trench relative to incoming fire matter? That is, will a unit firing parallel to a trench be more effective than a unit firing perpendicular to the trench?

A: No, although when shooting at a perpendicular angle may result in some of the units being out of firing range.

Q: How to deal with the early PE Panzer IV infantry tank?

A: Early AT emplacement, PIATs inside trenches, cromwells, churchills.

Q: Does the button fire ability always disable the target's main gun?

A: As long as the target is within the button's radius, the target's main gun will be deactivated. Button fire does not disable the weapons of the Wehr flammenwerfer.

Q: How do you combat piospam?

A: Bren carrier with MG upgraded and vicker MG emplacements.

Q: Can you build multiple LTs and stack the bonuses?

A: Yes.

Q: How to deal with early PE halftrack spammer?

A: Trenches, tommies with bren, bren carrier with AP rounds, fight behind cover.

Q: How many additional tommies should you make?

A: Two (not including the recon squad) is a good standard number. Too many and you risk being behind in teching because tommies cost a lot of manpower.

Q: If your Tommies are in trench or building, can they still get LT and captain bonuses?

A: Yes.

Q: How come my resources dont refund when a emplacement is destroyed while building?

A: Since one of the recent patches i believe 2.500 when an emplacement is destroyed while building you arent refunded the resources, you are if you cancel it so cancel all emplacements under construction if they are attacked and build them in safer locations.

This post has been edited by Otherside: Jun 10 2009, 19:55 PM

Game: Company of Heroes

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)