Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Red Alert 3 Replay Tool BETA 2

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Wmm Sep 14 2008, 20:16 PM
Hi again smile.gif.

First of all, for those who use the first beta of this tool, you can delete all your current files (the readme, the maps folder and the exe). You can download this new version using the link later in this post. Keep in mind you may have to reselect the last replay (options menu -> select last replay) because with patch 1.05 EA changed the name of "Last Replay.RA3Replay.RA3Replay" back to "Last Replay.RA3Replay".

This new beta version doesn't only contain some bug fixes, it contains more. First of all it now shows the army a player got when he was playing as random. Second of all, detailed build orders can now be shown. As far as I know this is the first tool since Zero Hour that can do this smile.gif. This comes in handy for exchanging build orders, adding more details in replay reviews, getting a general idea what the players are doing before you watch the replay and whatever more you can think of. See the screenshots below for more information. Hover with your mouse over the playername and rightclick to get to this option smile.gif.

Furthermore the user interface is changed. The options are moved to the options menu, the listbox for the replays is now bigger and the buttons have icons.

An extra option has been added to disable autosaving of the last replay. This is done because atm watching a replay causes the last replay to be overwritten with that replay and the tool sees that as a new replay, so it will save it again. Causing you to have a bunch of double replays. This option will be kept in the retail though.

Other functions at a glance:
- autosaving last replay while you're ingame.
- browsing replays.
- rename existing replays.
- (in retail) search for players on the ladders from the tool.
- etc etc

As you can see, a new interface:
Attached Image

Buildorders, you can open them from all the players at the same time if you want.
Attached Image

You can download it here. You need .NET 2.0 to run this (if you use Vista you don't need to worry about it). If you don't have .NET 2.0 yet you can download it here for 32 bit and here for 64 bit.

Please tell me what you think of this tool and let me know if you see any bugs. But also tell me if you don't have a problem at all smile.gif.

This post has been edited by Wmm: Sep 14 2008, 20:26 PM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Piddox Sep 14 2008, 20:29 PM
wmm \o/ n1hax

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3CheeKy` Sep 14 2008, 20:35 PM
LOL, Wmm sup tongue.gif Nice tool.

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: None

+
# 4smullie Sep 14 2008, 20:40 PM
wmm rulez

+
# 5darktrpr Sep 14 2008, 21:06 PM
Great tool. Took me sometime to figure out how to look at the build orders maybe you can use a more user friendly way to show them.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 6Luk3u§ Sep 14 2008, 22:49 PM
Build orders huh? Nifty. tongue.gif

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 7S2Zrathustra Sep 14 2008, 22:59 PM
Build orders? Nice!

Game: Generals 2

+
# 8Ang3lic Sep 15 2008, 04:48 AM
Yes guys Wmm put a lot of effort into that, it really takes a lot of patience to figure that stuff out bowdown.gif

Very nice!

Game: Act of Aggression

+
# 9Wiebbe Sep 15 2008, 07:03 AM
Great tool wmm smile.gif

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 10-Netput Sep 15 2008, 09:41 AM
awesome biggrin.gif

Clan: Prisoners Of War

+
# 11-Netput Sep 15 2008, 09:42 AM
and pinned cuz of the uber greatness! banana.gif

Clan: Prisoners Of War

+
# 12FoxeR Sep 15 2008, 17:00 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how the hell do you make these? I've always been interesting in programming and learning about making "nifty" add-on programs to use with games (not cheats/hacks thought of course). I do know it's hard to do and time-consuming but I want to have a future career in computing and learning this kind of stuff would add to my abilities. I've made and designed games using simpler programs before but I want to go further.

Is it C++ or Visual C# studio or something? Just what you build this with would be nice. laugh.gif

+
# 13Wmm Sep 15 2008, 17:31 PM
QUOTE(FoxeR @ Sep 15 2008, 19:00 PM) *

If you don't mind me asking, how the hell do you make these? I've always been interesting in programming and learning about making "nifty" add-on programs to use with games (not cheats/hacks thought of course). I do know it's hard to do and time-consuming but I want to have a future career in computing and learning this kind of stuff would add to my abilities. I've made and designed games using simpler programs before but I want to go further.

Is it C++ or Visual C# studio or something? Just what you build this with would be nice. laugh.gif

This is done with Visual Studio professional 2008, with as language C# (Visual Studio offers more languages, also C++).

Figuring out how everything is stored in replay files is just trial and error. The player names are easy, that's just plain text, their armies and colors are a bit more difficult, but still not hard. The whole build order stuff is first of all a bit of logical thinking. Somehow the commands are stored there with a time, else the game doesn't know when that action was performed, and somehow the commands must be seperated from each other. So you start looking for patterns, if you only make 10 powerplants in a game somehow a part must be there 10 times. If you have the pattern it's a trial and error game to figure out all the commands (and I still only know half of the commands stored in the replay). That takes the most time, with a few pointers I figured out the pattern in two days. It took me about 5 days (not fulltime) to know all the rest I know.

QUOTE(darktrpr @ Sep 14 2008, 23:06 PM) *

Great tool. Took me sometime to figure out how to look at the build orders maybe you can use a more user friendly way to show them.

Hm, you mean the rightclicking at the player name part that you had troubles with figuring out?

+
# 14FoxeR Sep 15 2008, 17:53 PM
QUOTE(Wmm @ Sep 15 2008, 18:31 PM) *

This is done with Visual Studio professional 2008, with as language C# (Visual Studio offers more languages, also C++).

Figuring out how everything is stored in replay files is just trial and error. The player names are easy, that's just plain text, their armies and colors are a bit more difficult, but still not hard. The whole build order stuff is first of all a bit of logical thinking. Somehow the commands are stored there with a time, else the game doesn't know when that action was performed, and somehow the commands must be seperated from each other. So you start looking for patterns, if you only make 10 powerplants in a game somehow a part must be there 10 times. If you have the pattern it's a trial and error game to figure out all the commands (and I still only know half of the commands stored in the replay). That takes the most time, with a few pointers I figured out the pattern in two days.

Awesome, thanks for the speedy response. Yeah I have Visual Studio C# installed but it's pretty complicated thus far. Made a few very simple things... but is there no way round the detailed coding in it? Since it was visual I assumed total visual production. blush.gif

It's a pretty neat program though, I'm still overwhelmed you managed to make this program on it though. wacko.gif Good job. thumb.gif

I think I'll try making another thing on it to try to get my head round the basics.

+
# 15Whalecore Sep 20 2008, 13:11 PM
Wmm! (Hello)

Great tool, nice job on this one dude! And it's interesting to read how you found out the different things in a replay. smile.gif

We should play another match one day! smile.gif

+
# 16jdelator Sep 24 2008, 06:58 AM
Anyway that you are going to share the source code?

+
# 17Wmm Sep 24 2008, 10:38 AM
Releasing the source code is out of the question. But I am making a document that explains the replay file format. In the first place that's for myself, but I might release that when it's done and when I feel I'm done with my own tool smile.gif.

+
# 18jdelator Sep 25 2008, 03:03 AM
smile.gif

Is the replay format in any way compressed? I know that the war3 and sc replays were compressed so that made reading them harder.

Can you release the whatever you have on the replay format?

+
# 19Wiebbe Sep 26 2008, 07:01 AM
No, the replay format isnt compressed in any way. It does take some logic thinking but its not that hard to "reverse engineer" the replay format. As "mental code sparring buddy" or something of Wmm, ive got alot of the info of the replay format as well, but the replay format and the source code are closed source at the moment smile.gif

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 20Wmm Sep 26 2008, 16:25 PM
What Wiebbe says indeed. It's not compressed.

If, what and when I release the replay format has to be seen. At least it's not before the release of the game, maybe EA changes stuff, you never know smile.gif.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)