Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Brit Analysis Series, Part 5

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1warhawks Nov 16 2008, 16:23 PM
Attached Image

Introduction

This is Part 5 of my Strategy series where I explore the play of top players in the game.

This time I examine 32 games played by Rizky (currently holds spots #4 and #5 on the Brit ladder). Thanks to Rizky for the replay pack and for the Q&A.

Rizky Analysis

Build order, Tier analysis, upgrades, etc., See my findings here:
Attached File Rizky_Analysis.pdf
Size: 92.75k
Number of downloads: 4550

Rizky Q&A

See my interview with Rizky here:
Attached File Warhawks_Rizky_QA_complete.pdf
Size: 153.9k
Number of downloads: 3373

Rizky Games & Rizky Replay Pack

A listing of all 32 games (Build order, unit upgrades, etc., using COHRA). Games are numbers for easy reference (and for replay pack). Use this in conjunction with the replay pack. All replays are numbered to correspond with the listing for your easy reference.
Attached File Rizky_British_Replays.pdf
Size: 228.56k
Number of downloads: 2325

Replay Pack:
Attached File RizkyBritishReplayPack.zip
Size: 3.92mb
Number of downloads: 2390
Player Name Side Team

Examples on the best way to use the above two files:
I am having a hard time playing from South on Wrecked Train. How does Rizky do it?

I am having a hard time playing against this specific Wehr strat. Look at the games list to see what Rizky opponents where doing then load up to the replay to see how Rizky played against it.

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Domovoi Nov 16 2008, 16:42 PM
Thx !

+
# 3audios89 Nov 17 2008, 10:43 AM
Nice write-ups, very thorough, almost frighteningly so =P Although I gotta be the first to say it, isn't it already straightforward and stale enough to play either as the brits, or even against them for that matter? I can't wait for the next wave of brit players to use this exact same build order! Well I guess that leaves me to ponder the ever evolving British tech tree and how to weave around it with the wehr.

Man, I really hope tales of valor just straightens out the current factions into near perfection with new units and doctrins/abilities/upgrades. That would be awesome, I really wish I could say its entertaining when I'm playing as or against Brits. Sure the explosions of artillery are pretty, though I think they could be so much more diverse and intuitive, they just they lack a certain spark in their current incarnation.

What if HQ mobility was somehow attached to a doctrine and they had a steady progression of evenly scaled/tiered units instead of a stop-gap type tech tree with overrepaired emplacments to ease 'em into the phase of cromwell/firefly production. Ever wonder why it seems like you are always going to lose against a Brit if you let them establish a padding? Well barring some huge errors on the british players part there is nigh near nothing you can do to get a W as wehr once the bleeding starts. It's a steamrolling faction. Why do all the 'pros' find wehr entertaining? I'm willing to bet most of the #1 answers are diversity/multiple play styles, lets have that with the brits too.

oh and IMHO of course

This post has been edited by audios89: Nov 17 2008, 11:03 AM

+
# 4Paradox19 Nov 17 2008, 10:55 AM
Everytime something is released about the brits a kitten dies and I must refill my cars gas tank on the hopes and dreams of orphans.

+
# 5GefreiterHummel Nov 17 2008, 13:05 PM
good job!

+
# 6Otherside Nov 17 2008, 13:15 PM
Nice although id argue that arty isnt as useless as you think even against marders, most of the time playing PE they set up a wall of AC's and Marders which is impossible to break through im finding 1 25 pounder with the arty doctrine used with infantry and cromwells can break through the wall.

+
# 7Zukow Nov 17 2008, 14:42 PM
good analysis. Keep em comin m8.

This post has been edited by daeyeth: Nov 17 2008, 18:46 PM

Clan: ArX

Game: Graphics

+
# 8Rizky Nov 17 2008, 15:06 PM
Jacob stop using my real name.

And thanks for analysis warhawks!

This post has been edited by daeyeth: Nov 17 2008, 18:45 PM

Clan: Insane

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 9Hyggan Nov 17 2008, 15:09 PM
If you stop using mine, Ricky.

This post has been edited by Hyggan: Nov 17 2008, 19:38 PM

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 10Otherside Nov 17 2008, 17:40 PM
quick question for you Rizky i pretty much always get a second tommy squad out this is after the BC is out before i call up the 2nd tier truck now ive noticed alot of pro's dont but i find the extra fire power useful am i making a mistake?

This post has been edited by Otherside: Nov 17 2008, 17:41 PM

+
# 11Hyggan Nov 17 2008, 18:10 PM
That's alot of mp slowing your stuart rush down

+
# 12daeyeth Nov 17 2008, 18:44 PM
Cleaned a couple posts and all related posts. There's a forum for that now.

This post has been edited by daeyeth: Nov 17 2008, 18:45 PM

+
# 13Rizky Nov 17 2008, 20:41 PM
QUOTE(Otherside @ Nov 17 2008, 17:40 PM) *

quick question for you Rizky i pretty much always get a second tommy squad out this is after the BC is out before i call up the 2nd tier truck now ive noticed alot of pro's dont but i find the extra fire power useful am i making a mistake?

That will slow you down for getting anti-tank/vehicle abilities. And then you will be pretty much screwed if the enemy has decided to go for fast t3 wehr or PE marder for example.

+
# 14Otherside Nov 17 2008, 20:59 PM
another i just got pwned by calneon using massed halftracks and grens my main thought is to get a stuart but schrecks just negate this what do you do against it.

it was only wrecked train and i had low fuel so i couldnt even if i wanted to.

+
# 15Rizky Nov 17 2008, 23:08 PM
QUOTE(Otherside @ Nov 17 2008, 20:59 PM) *

another i just got pwned by calneon using massed halftracks and grens my main thought is to get a stuart but schrecks just negate this what do you do against it.

it was only wrecked train and i had low fuel so i couldnt even if i wanted to.

Then you put all your 3 tommies to the green cover with lt and support them with the bren carrier. Do this even before he gets shreks. Mortar HT just has to be dodged, and if he goes mortar ht early, you should be able to stand up against his infantry and INF HTs.

+
# 16Otherside Nov 18 2008, 00:52 AM
QUOTE(Rizky @ Nov 17 2008, 23:08 PM) *

Then you put all your 3 tommies to the green cover with lt and support them with the bren carrier. Do this even before he gets shreks. Mortar HT just has to be dodged, and if he goes mortar ht early, you should be able to stand up against his infantry and INF HTs.

its exaclty what i do and 90% of the time it works however he went for 3 halftracks instead of the usal 2 and it was on wrecked train so the cover was fucked no matter how well i kept my BC alive and fighting they just stacked up defense vet and it became impossible to hurt them.

i got 4 free squads out of a CSS and everyone that popped out got raped sometimes i think moveable hq's for the brits is as much a burden as a advantage.

i dont usally lose to it but its always on a knifes edge with PE they can be very forgiving unlike brits.

+
# 17warhawks Nov 18 2008, 13:31 PM
QUOTE(audios89 @ Nov 17 2008, 05:43 AM) *

Nice write-ups, very thorough, almost frighteningly so =P Although I gotta be the first to say it, isn't it already straightforward and stale enough to play either as the brits, or even against them for that matter?

Why do all the 'pros' find wehr entertaining? I'm willing to bet most of the #1 answers are diversity/multiple play styles, lets have that with the brits too.

I tend agree with both of these points. The Brits build order is pretty straight forward; assuming you play with minimal emplacements, that is, build emplacements out of necessity rather then as part of a main strategy. That being said, the challenge (or excitement) playing the Brits is getting rushed, whether it is Inf HTs, pumas, marders, etc. With slow moving troops, you are challenged with defending and trying to take sectors (being offensive) at the same time.

I think Wehr is the most diverse faction, but if you can master this, you can also be the most powerful because you can either adapt and/or dictate the game. This diversity or choice of strats is what (IMO) makes Wehr so liked.

But back to the Brits, when playing against them, you can expect the same thing, that is, Bren, Stuart, Croms, etc. But when you play against PE and Wehr, you have to look for tips that tells you what is coming. Fast T3? Fast Puma's? Inf HT rush with mortar? Marder rush? etc. Once again, when playing against Brits an advantage you have is to know what is coming, but still hard to defeat them. If Relic makes them (the Brits) weaker without offering any diversity, then it will be the downfall of the Brits in 1v1.

QUOTE(Paradox19 @ Nov 17 2008, 05:55 AM) *

..... and I must refill my cars gas tank on the hopes and dreams of orphans.
wacko.gif This must some line from some Bob Dylan song right?

Clan: Reign of Madness

+
# 18Otherside Nov 18 2008, 18:14 PM
QUOTE(warhawks @ Nov 18 2008, 13:31 PM) *

I tend agree with both of these points. The Brits build order is pretty straight forward; assuming you play with minimal emplacements, that is, build emplacements out of necessity rather then as part of a main strategy. That being said, the challenge (or excitement) playing the Brits is getting rushed, whether it is Inf HTs, pumas, marders, etc. With slow moving troops, you are challenged with defending and trying to take sectors (being offensive) at the same time.

I think Wehr is the most diverse faction, but if you can master this, you can also be the most powerful because you can either adapt and/or dictate the game. This diversity or choice of strats is what (IMO) makes Wehr so liked.

But back to the Brits, when playing against them, you can expect the same thing, that is, Bren, Stuart, Croms, etc. But when you play against PE and Wehr, you have to look for tips that tells you what is coming. Fast T3? Fast Puma's? Inf HT rush with mortar? Marder rush? etc. Once again, when playing against Brits an advantage you have is to know what is coming, but still hard to defeat them. If Relic makes them (the Brits) weaker without offering any diversity, then it will be the downfall of the Brits in 1v1.

wacko.gif This must some line from some Bob Dylan song right?

Half of COH is suprise lately ive been having to try and get a well timed 25 pounder out to suprise the axis player when he things a stuart is coming out.

the lack of diversity is something extremely crippling for the brits which i thing axis players over look.

+
# 19king wins Nov 19 2008, 12:56 PM
Nice replaypack and interview, though I don't agree glider crush should be removed, this is our only real counter to snipers biggrin.gif but... the thing that is wrong is how easy brits can get rid of paks with glider/commandos

Rommel vs Monty

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+
# 20Hyggan Nov 19 2008, 15:21 PM
QUOTE(king wins @ Nov 19 2008, 13:56 PM) *

though I don't agree glider crush should be removed, this is our only real counter to snipers biggrin.gif

Better be joking, lol.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)