Company of Heroes

Bike Dodging with Snipers (VIDEO)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1daeyeth Nov 29 2008, 16:24 PM
Discussion for American Tip #21 by Smokaz

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 212azor Nov 29 2008, 16:27 PM
This is called circle-strafing and applies to any unit with a fixed firing arc.

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 3Slovko Nov 29 2008, 16:36 PM
QUOTE(12azor @ Nov 29 2008, 12:27 PM) *

This is called circle-strafing and applies to any unit with a fixed firing arc.

It's interesting and a good demonstration of micro skills, but when you're circle strafing goes beyond vehicles, I think it's indicative of a serious mechanical issue that needs to be resolved.
Don't get me wrong, these sort quirks have been an important part of the game that I use to help win, but frankly, I'd love to see these sorts of issues fixed properly.

Slov...

+
# 4Wu299 Nov 29 2008, 16:45 PM
Video doesnt work for me...

Good idea...

Clan: Reign of Madness

+
# 512azor Nov 29 2008, 16:48 PM
QUOTE(Slovko @ Nov 29 2008, 16:36 PM) *

It's interesting and a good demonstration of micro skills, but when you're circle strafing goes beyond vehicles, I think it's indicative of a serious mechanical issue that needs to be resolved.
Don't get me wrong, these sort quirks have been an important part of the game that I use to help win, but frankly, I'd love to see these sorts of issues fixed properly.

Slov...

Welcome to RTS games. You're new so I'll go easy on you. Circle-strafing requires micro against fixed arcs of fire and the counter to it is micro from the user of that unit - simple as.

+
# 6Smokaz Nov 29 2008, 17:18 PM
Regardless of what the jealous 12azor has to say, this is a sexy move.

+
# 7semitope Nov 29 2008, 17:41 PM
If the bike actually gets that close to the sniper. The sniper was revealed a lot earlier but the guy wasn't paying attention or chose to get close cause it was setup for the vid.

Anyway, whats whack is how the bike turns. It shouldn't pivot like that; bikes don't do that.

+
# 8IplayForKeeps Nov 29 2008, 17:52 PM
i like how in the video, he does all the hard work then when the bike is dead, he decides to retreat after happy.gif

+
# 9StreetLegend Nov 29 2008, 18:03 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure the idea was to not retreat and have the bike chase down the sniper. If he wants to retreat, he doesn't have to worry about his sniper dying now.

+
# 10´SmokeY Nov 29 2008, 19:47 PM
QUOTE(StreetLegend @ Nov 29 2008, 18:03 PM) *

Yeah I'm pretty sure the idea was to not retreat and have the bike chase down the sniper. If he wants to retreat, he doesn't have to worry about his sniper dying now.

if you have any experience of bikes and snipers, the sniper will run a very high risk of dying on his retreat back to base with the bike in close pursuit, so he will have to worry about his sniper dying if he retreats.

+
# 11Smokaz Nov 29 2008, 19:53 PM
The whole point of microing like that was to keep him from just chasing the sniper and kill it on the way back to its base with other infantry not being able to keep up.

+
# 12Slovko Nov 29 2008, 22:28 PM
QUOTE(12azor @ Nov 29 2008, 11:48 AM) *

Welcome to RTS games. You're new so I'll go easy on you. Circle-strafing requires micro against fixed arcs of fire and the counter to it is micro from the user of that unit - simple as.

Thanks 12azor! I really didn't want my post to come off as the same old tired balance rant and if it did I apologize. I know you and the mods here speak from a wealth of experience and agree 100%. What I think I was questioning was the underlying problem with employing such a tactic in the first place. Specifically, while circle strafing as a whole seems a logical and valid tactic when it is vehicle vs. vehicle, I think the reasonableness of the tactic breaks down in this example.

Again, all I was trying to get at is that there are a lot of so-called tactics which look strangely like exploits to me (i.e. tactics other than what the designers may have intended). Now do I employ these tactics myself? Absolutely and I wouldn't blame anyone else for using the same on me. But that doesn't mean there is something inherently wrong with it as a whole. Anyway, this was just something I wanted to throw out there and won't press the point any further.

Thanks for the reply.
Slov...

This post has been edited by Slovko: Nov 30 2008, 00:35 AM

+
# 1312azor Nov 30 2008, 00:54 AM
QUOTE(Slovko @ Nov 29 2008, 22:28 PM) *

Thanks 12azor! I really didn't want my post to come off as the same old tired balance rant and if it did I apologize. I know you and the mods here speak from a wealth of experience and agree 100%. What I think I was questioning was the underlying problem with employing such a tactic in the first place. Specifically, while circle strafing as a whole seems a logical and valid tactic when it is vehicle vs. vehicle, I think the reasonableness of the tactic breaks down in this example.

Again, all I was trying to get at is that there are a lot of so-called tactics which look strangely like exploits to me (i.e. tactics other than what the designers may have intended). Now do I employ these tactics myself? Absolutely and I wouldn't blame anyone else for using the same on me. But that doesn't mean there is something inherently wrong with it as a whole. Anyway, this was just something I wanted to throw out there and won't press the point any further.

Thanks for the reply.
Slov...

No - the game is meant to be played with skill and it must've been obvious to Relic when they made this game that units could be circle-strafed or they wouldn't have differentiated between fixed turrets and mobile turrets and you can see this reflect in prices normally as well e.g. StuG is a lot cheaper than Sherman and has greater frontal armour but has a fixed turret and so on. Honestly its meant to be like that and whilst it looks weird it is merely using micro-management.

+
# 14baggpipes Nov 30 2008, 05:24 AM
wow great idea. never thought of the circle strafe like that with infantry. LOL its kinda like the sniper jumped on the back of the bike and was just like "I don't care just shoot the damn thing!!!!"

+
# 15spydR Nov 30 2008, 09:32 AM
Why anyone would send a bike up to an AB squad with RR's and keep it there in an attempt to kill the sniper is beyond me. Often the bike wont even get close if you have backup like that. Still a cool tip - I always circle strafe against tanks/AT guns but never considered bikes or jeeps.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 16Zukow Nov 30 2008, 15:08 PM
"Usually if a Wehrmacht Motorbike dives in to take out your sniper(s)" - dives or drives or am i noobie... Anyway cool stuff.

Clan: ArX

Game: Graphics

+
# 17Schultz Nov 30 2008, 16:19 PM
Yeeeeah, my frapsing rules happy.gif
You should atleast say thanks to me, Smokaz.

This post has been edited by EliteGrenadier: Nov 30 2008, 16:21 PM

+
# 18BostonConsultingGroup Nov 30 2008, 23:36 PM
Awesome tip.

However I could see it used in only very specific situations 1 out of 10 games since it depends on the bike being that close.

Anyway, I've been finding that unsupported jeeps/bikes are total waste of MP and even supported ones get focused fired on and taken out before they get the sniper.

The true solution is your own sniper which means making a WSC then 340 MP for a sniper... Just played a game where I constantly killed snipers (he only had 1 out at a time) but he kept making more and killing my own snipers.

The psychological impact of snipers (and mortars, to a lesser degree) are truly maddening.. makes you want to take it out at all costs leading you to make horrible decisions...

+
# 19victor18 Dec 5 2008, 14:08 PM
I never thought about circle strafing with a sniper before.

Thanks for the video Elite Grenadier.

+
# 20UltimeDragon Feb 16 2009, 09:04 AM
LOL this sniper is a lucker

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)