Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Micromanagement Techniques for the Allies

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1avilo Dec 4 2008, 18:47 PM
OK, nubface commented about the shotgun micro I was talking about in another thread, so I decided I'd post as many allies micromanagement techniques, tactics, and strategies that may help allies players dominate more than they even are smile.gif

even the notion that I am writing this reminds me of writing about SC reaver stuff, which just goes to show there is a lot of depth in RA3 laugh.gif smile.gif

Peacekeeper Micromanagement:
Peacekeeper micromanagement is something I have seen many players lacking. Sure, most allies know to shield their peacekeepers that are in the front to take hits for the ones that follow, but what allies players are not doing enough are attacking, moving, attacking, and then moving.

This maximizes the amount of damage your peacekeepers do while allowing them to cover maximum distance which may save your peacekeepers lives long enough for them to do maximum damage - not to mention, the closer your Peacekeepers are to their targets, the more damage they do.

So when you want to micromanage peacekeepers, order a move command, fire at your target, and once all of your PKs are finished firing that shotgun blast, right away issue a move command while their shotgun is cooling down, and then fire again on your target.

It takes a bit of practice and "APM" but when you master this, it'll almost feel like your PKs are moving and firing and that you are covering a good distance.

If you've played starcraft and micromanaged dragoons, marines, or hydralisks the micromanagement is the exact same thing. It is just a matter of dedicating time to practicing the PK micro and putting forth the effort and attention span whenever you have these PK situations.

Vindicator Micromanagement:
For vindicator micromanagement, I'll describe how I micro my own vindicators.

I always use control group 1 for my vindicators every game, and it doesn't matter how many I have in the group, it can be 1, 3, or 27. The way I micromanage vindicators is exactly how I described in my shoutcast - I rapidly deselect however many vindicators I need to from the group by right clicking on their unit portraits.

If I want to take out 2 hammers, and 2 bullfrogs and I happen to have 8 vindicators, then I select one target, right click on two vindicator portraits, and then select a new target with that same group.

What ends up happening is you manage to assign vindicator targets in twos without needing to dedicate more than one hotkey to your vindicators.

Also, a micromanagement technique for pr0 level players is vindicator "stop micro." Your vindicators have either 2/3 bombs depending on if you have advanced aeronatics yet, and in situations where there are multiple infantry around, you can use 1 vindicator to take out 2/3 infantry on it's own.

The way you do this is by practicing the timing and distance on your vindicator attack. You select a target and right as you estimate your vindicator is about to drop bombs you press "s" for "stop" which makes the vindicator stop dropping bombs.

with practice and good timing, you can drop vindicator bombs 1 by 1, allowing you to do maximum damage with your vinidicators.

This can save you from things like a tankbuster surprise support power, and is crucial when you are using cyrocoptors with vindicators, as 1 vindicator can kill 3 harvesters on one single run with this vindicator stop micromanagement thumb.gif

Athena Cannon Micromanagement:
With the athena cannon, you can have an invincible allies army by timing their shields perfectly. By reaching 4 athena cannons, you can rotate athena cannon shields in pairs, which allows your entire army to be covered, the important aspect being that each athena's shield overlaps with the hole in the other's shield.

Assigning hotkeys to pairs of athenas is crucial if you want to maximize your shield timings, but if you are good you can manually keep track of when to activate the next pair's shields.

Guardian Tank + PK combination:
This is a tactic I've been working on extensively vs soviets for mid-game, and it really packs a punch.

Rather than going for the airstrike support power, get the high technology upgrade, and begin production of guardians and PKs off of one or two raxes.

PKs are the elite badass infantry of this game, but when they have guardians in the back laser painting targets for them, they become twice as badass, ripping everything to shreds.

With this combination you pretty much want all of your guardian tanks in laser paint mode, and your PK micromanagement (using above micro technique) and APM/handspeed will let this unit combo do maximum damage, even vs enemy tanks.

PK + Cyrocoptor + Apollo:
If you can manage to gain control of the air with apollos and begin accumulating cyrocoptors, you have a PK army that can blast through everything in one shot.

The key with this unit combination is that PKs are one of the cheapest units in the game, so by having so many your cyros simply freeze everything and PKs are guaranteed to get one shot kills.

This also creates situations where a PK army suddenly becomes deadly vs apoc tanks ^^ just shrink the apocs and then apply your shotgun to their face smile.gif whistling.gif thumb.gif

Dog Micromanagement/Feinting/Scouting:
Dogs are one of the best units in the game. Dogs give you information that will let you live or die.

If you do not develop the ability to reliably get scouting information with your dogs, you will lose countless games by not being able to adapt on the fly and keep track of army movements/harrassments.

Besides scouting information, dogs are faster than bears which allows you to "feint bark" in the early game Micheal Vick battles.

By running towards your opponent's bears/dog, and then quickly pulling back, you can make your opponent bark/roar and not catch your dog, which allows you to either bark/roar them back, or kill their unit without needing even to do that.

Timing, micro, APM, game experience are all necessary to feint perfectly, so this is an aspect of the game you should be PRACTICING - yes, I put it in caps, if you don't like it eff you lol smile.gif You have to practice this type of thing and focus on improving this part of your game.

Do not simply play games over and over and neglect this early micromanagement part of the game. Practice this specifically with clanmates, friends, etc. so that in real games you come out on top in the early game.

Simply having great dog/bear micro makes you a threat at top level, especially if your opponents neglect practicing this part of their game!

Cyrocoptor Attack Priority:
When you are using cyrocoptors for harrassment, there will be many times that AA units are incoming and you have only a small timing window to freeze a harv and get the fuck out. This is where knowing what units you should target will save you time and maximize your harrass.

If there is a bullfrog coming at your cyrocoptor, and more on the way, and you are in the process of freezing a harvester, you need to shrink that bullfrog and ignore it asap and continue freezing your intended target. Do not continue to freeze the bullfrog, or even attack the bullfrog. Stay focused, and even if there are more bullfrogs dealing damage to your cyrocoptor make sure you freeze your target!

Use the shrink ray again and go back to freezing your target. It's really important to stay focused and have a goal and a target in mind, and do not waver in your decision making. If you have to retreat, then retreat, but if you are going to freeze the target in time to bomb it, then do so!

Vindicator VS sickle Micromanagement:
Whenever you are in those early or mid-game situations where you intend to bomb sickles, here is a trick that I do that you can use too.

Sickles can avoid vindicator bombs by timing their jump as you drop bombs, and knowing this you should move your vindicators as if you are going to bomb the sickles and allow them to jump!

Once they have landed, then you can bomb them smile.gif it's basically a psychological game of chicken, the way you move your vindicators towards the bullfrogs will scare the soviet into jumping their sickles, and then you go in for the kill.

I'm one of the few doing this, but once soviets catch on, the timing will be more difficult and micro/apm intensive and it'll be all mind games! So be sure you trick your soviet opponent into jumping ^^!

PK micro vs Sickles:
This micromanagement technique is APM intensive as you manually have to split your peacekeepers up to avoid sickle jumps.

When you are engaging sickles, if you see that your opponent is going to sickle jump into your PKs right away judge where you think they will most likely jump, and split your PKs omnidirectionally outward from where the sickle will land.

If you perfect this spread, once the sickle is in the air, it'll end up jumping to the vacant spot in your ring of deadly and hungry PKs, and then you use the PK move/attack micromanagement to attack the sickle, move with the sickle, attack it, and repeat smile.gif

Apollo Micromanagement:
Apollo micro is important because when migs and tengus grow in numbers you are not "guaranteed" to win every air battle.

This is where formation matters (it matters with all your units tbh), as in you literally want to use the formation move to move your apollos in formation so that all your apollos will be firing at once.

You never want to have apollos lagging behind or moving ahead of the entire group, as then they can be picked off 1 by 1.

Always formation move apollos when about to engage enemy air units.

This is all I can think of for right now, I will edit back later perhaps o.o!

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Norty Dec 4 2008, 18:54 PM
Great post tongue.gif , Made me wanted to play Allies

Clan: -FaKe|

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3ThOR Dec 4 2008, 19:44 PM
Nice thread! smile.gif

I always use control group 1 for my vindicators every game, and it doesn't matter how many I have in the group, it can be 1, 3, or 27. The way I micromanage vindicators is exactly how I described in my shoutcast - I rapidly deselect however many vindicators I need to from the group by right clicking on their unit portraits.

If I want to take out 2 hammers, and 2 bullfrogs and I happen to have 8 vindicators, then I select one target, right click on two vindicator portraits, and then select a new target with that same group.

This I don't agree on at all. Vindicators are *the* units you want to group in singles or pairs. Early game I use up 1, 2, 3 and 4 for vindicators (if I get 4 of course). Early game you only really need 1 vindicator to either take out infantry or a terror drone, and press 1+2 to take out the odd Sickle. Later on I switch to grouping vindicators in pairs - usually 1 and 2. It's good for taking out tanks, and you can still easily split them up if you only need to bomb one unit. Realistic you should never have more than 8 vindicators, max!, so grouping your vindicators will only take up 4 slots.
The huge advantage, besides an easier overview and access to vindicators, is that you can instantly and easily use "return to base" after the bomb run.

+
# 4firgli Dec 4 2008, 19:51 PM
good topic, quite some things i didnt know about tongue.gif (never use formation thing and good tip about vindicators in 1 big group)
ah on topic of vindicators, and actually for all units: am i the only one who regularly got the problem that some units dont listen? Like when i got 8 vindis in 4 groups and want them all to go to one place, i'll just give the 4 commands with hotkeys quickly after each other, but often 1 or 2 groups will just stay where they are. Maybe i gave those commands too soon after each other, or what else?

This post has been edited by Luigi: Dec 4 2008, 19:54 PM

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 5DwelF^ Dec 4 2008, 19:59 PM
QUOTE(ThOR @ Dec 4 2008, 20:44 PM) *

Nice thread! smile.gif
This I don't agree on at all. Vindicators are *the* units you want to group in singles or pairs. Early game I use up 1, 2, 3 and 4 for vindicators (if I get 4 of course). Early game you only really need 1 vindicator to either take out infantry or a terror drone, and press 1+2 to take out the odd Sickle. Later on I switch to grouping vindicators in pairs - usually 1 and 2. It's good for taking out tanks, and you can still easily split them up if you only need to bomb one unit. Realistic you should never have more than 8 vindicators, max!, so grouping your vindicators will only take up 4 slots.
The huge advantage, besides an easier overview and access to vindicators, is that you can instantly and easily use "return to base" after the bomb run.

if you learn to manage it the way avilo is saying it becomes easier to it with really huge numbers tho.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 6ThOR Dec 4 2008, 20:05 PM
Yeh well. Guess I'm the only one that doesn't get "huge" numbers of vindicators then. tongue.gif

+
# 7kustodian Dec 4 2008, 20:38 PM
QUOTE(avilo @ Dec 4 2008, 19:47 PM) *
PK micro vs Sickles:
This micromanagement technique is APM intensive as you manually have to split your peacekeepers up to avoid sickle jumps.

When you are engaging sickles, if you see that your opponent is going to sickle jump into your PKs right away judge where you think they will most likely jump, and split your PKs omnidirectionally outward from where the sickle will land.

If you perfect this spread, once the sickle is in the air, it'll end up jumping to the vacant spot in your ring of deadly and hungry PKs, and then you use the PK move/attack micromanagement to attack the sickle, move with the sickle, attack it, and repeat smile.gif

You don't have to split them in two groups, just press X two times so they scatter enough, and when the Sickles miss them attack and kill them.

Great work avilo biggrin.gif
You should write an article about this and put it in the strategy section.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 8DraMa Dec 4 2008, 20:42 PM
Wonderful post. Now we need something like this for sovs.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 9DwelF^ Dec 4 2008, 20:51 PM
one thing:

you mention about running/hitting with your PK vs sickles, as sickles are faster then your PK cant they just outrun you and attack you while you make your move back/shoot action? ive always found that vs sickles its best to try and make a extra step and so increase your PK damage, instead of staying at maximum. ofcourse some better sov players just move sickles back and kite your units but alot of sovs just make them stand there and then your damage output is way bigger.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 10Wellink Dec 4 2008, 20:53 PM
Cyro copter and sudden strike trick:
If you shrink a Harvester you can 1 shot it with a well placed sudden strike, this tick is extremly fast and works really well when timed correctly.

Time bomb and sudden strike trick:
You can set of your own time bomb with a sudden strike, this can deal significant amounts of damage enamy formations. Iam not sure but you might be able to set off your own time bomb by shooting it. This trick however only works with time bomb rank 1.

If your engi is in danger of being eaten quickly use its secondary ability, this gives the engineer lots more health and takes 2 dog bites to die giving you valuable extra time.

This post has been edited by Wellink: Dec 4 2008, 20:57 PM

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 11Ryan Dec 4 2008, 20:56 PM
Great Tips, the most helpful thing I've seen in this section so far.

+
# 12bubba Dec 4 2008, 20:59 PM
Thanks. There were some things I never thought of in this thread.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 13S2Fielding Dec 4 2008, 21:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about right clicking on a unit in the sidebar to de-select it from the group. All this time I've been wishing SHIFT + CLICK on a unit portrait would de-select it (hey, it works in other RTS sad.gif)

Nice thread.

+
# 14S2Zrathustra Dec 4 2008, 21:11 PM
I knew a lot of these, I just can't pull them off. Not enough practice sad.gif

Game: Generals 2

+
# 15PaPerBaG. Dec 4 2008, 21:11 PM
Natasha vs shielded pk...prolly what it looks like on the field rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_LdTMSGH0...feature=related

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 16DarkSanta Dec 4 2008, 21:20 PM
Indeed very usefull for the people who haven't played SC ever tongue.gif.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 17evotech Dec 4 2008, 21:28 PM
dont think you are better then us

+
# 18DarkSanta Dec 4 2008, 21:31 PM
QUOTE(evotech @ Dec 4 2008, 22:28 PM) *
dont think you are better then than us

Just proven it tongue.gif.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 19DethFanatic Dec 4 2008, 21:45 PM
I personally reckon that in PK vs sickle fights its a lot more efficient to wait until the sickle does its little jump animation, and quickly shield your PK. They take no damage from falling to the ground, and makes it easy to pick em back up, unsheild em and rape the hell out of the sickle in the middle.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 20RoieTRS Dec 4 2008, 22:04 PM
I tried to make a post in agreement here, but every time I tried, it came out as flamebait.

Are people really not using this? Seems more like common sense than anything.

Game: StarCraft

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)