Explore GameReplays...

The Asian Dynasties

Skirmisher Micro

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1Moony Nov 12 2005, 21:27 PM
IPB Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micromanagement is a deciding factor in every game of AoE3 that takes place. For a Dutch player, knowing how to properly micromanage the Dutch's main unit - the skirmisher - is a must. Skirmisher micromanagement can make or break a Dutch players game. It can make the difference between a win and a loss. Read on, to learn how to make the best use of your skirmishers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Skirmisher

IPB ImageSkirmisher: 50 Food & 65 Coin
° Role
- Light, long-range, Anti-Infantry
° Stats
· Age Available: Colonial
· Hitpoints: 120
· Pop. Use: 1
· Pop. Limit: Unlimited
· Resists: 30% Ranged Damage
· Speed: 5
· LOS: 24
° Attacks
- Range: 20 Ranged, 6 Seige
- Attack Damage: 15 Ranged, 12 Seige, 6 Hand. 2x Bonus Damage against Heavy Infantry
· Modes: Volley, Stagger, Melee, & Defend
° Experience
- Build: 12
- Kill: 12

Barracks Placement

The first step to having a successful military is creating a barracks. Barracks placement is a small, but sometimes vital, element of the game.
*When playing as the Dutch, it is definately not recommended to "forward build" your barracks. The Dutch are natural turtlers, and forward building instantly makes them into a rushing civilization. Keep your barracks close to home.
*Another mistake is putting your barracks in the front of your base. If your army is somehow defeated early on, it will be left in a very vulnerable, hard to defend position.

-The best place to put your barracks is either in the back of your base, or on the side, preferrable within firing range of your Town Center. Make sure it will be easy to produce troops from, but also somewhat protected.

-It is recommended that you assign a hotkey to your barracks, for easy access. I recommend assigning it to hotkey '5'. This way, when I want to create units, I simply press '5' once to select the building, or '5' twice to center on it. This enables you to have constant military production, without distracting your attention to other parts of the map. Also note the hotkey for skirmishers is 's'. If you want to que a group of 5 skirmishers at once, you can hit 'shift + s'. This means you can que 5 skirmishers by pressing '5 + shift + s'. Using these hotkeys allows for very quick and efficient military production.

IPB Image

Harrassing the Enemy's Economy

-One of the best ways to use your skirmishers in the early game is to kill your opponent's villagers. If you can kill his villagers, force him to garrison his villagers in a towncenter or outpost, or force him to build defenses against your raiding, you have been successful in disrupting his economy. Killing several of the enemy's villagers early can severely hurt his economy, and give you an upper hand.

Also consider adding hussars to this mix, for optimal villagers harrassment.

IPB Image

Encountering Enemy Troops

-The main reason for the skirmishers is, of course, to destroy the enemy's troops. Skirmishers are classified as light infantry, meaning they are very good against other infantry, but weak against cavalry and buildings. Luckily this works well into the Dutch strategy, because the Dutch also have an 8 pikemen shipment that will protect your skirmishers from horses. Until that time though, your main tactic is to hit and run the enemy. It takes a volley from 5 skirmishers to kill a musketeer in one shot, and a volley from 8 skirmishers to kill a jannissary. Knowing this allows you to break up your units into appropriate group sizes, and hit, run, and wear down the enemy's army.

-Always assign your main group of skirmishers to hotkey '1'. This allows for quick selecting/centering. If you have an alternate group of skirmishers or pikemen, you may wish to assign them hotkey '2'.

-Also note that it is possible(though not recommended) to kill cavalry with your skirmishers. If you encounter cavalry, retreat, and turn, fire, and run every few seconds. This works particularly well on low HP cavalry such as Uhlans or Comanche Horse Archers. Only use this as a last-ditch effort though. If you are facing horses, get some pikemen(or later ruyters) to assist your skirmishers.

The first step when you see an enemy is to focus fire on one enemy unit:

IPB Image

Next, run your skirmishers back, out of range of the enemy troops(note that the only units that can match the range of the skirmishers are longbows, other skirmishers, and cannons):

IPB Image

Once you have ran a short distance, turn around and focus fire on another enemy unit:

IPB Image

Repeat this process until the enemy's army is defeated:

IPB Image

You can now proceed to use your skirmishers to destroy the enemy's base. It is often helpful to also use pikemen or grenadiers to tear down buildings:

IPB Image

IPB Image

You now have all you need to micro your skirmishers to victory. Effective use of skirmishers is the best and fastest way to win as the Dutch, and mastering it is essential. Enclosed here is also the replay from which I took the screenshots. Happy skirmishing!

Moony

_____

Also an updated replay for 1.07, I will update the replay for each new game version when I get one so if the latest one isn't new then PM Sepha.

-Sepha

This post has been edited by Sepha: Jul 16 2006, 07:45 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File Skirmisher.zip
Size: 334.18k
Size (unzipped): 351k
Number of downloads: 1067
Player Name Side Team
Moony 1
marshin 2
Attached File Seph_vs_Lobo.age3rec
Size: 365.7k
Number of downloads: 652
Player Name Side Team
Seph 1
_Lobo 2

Clan: EPIC

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2keno190 Nov 12 2005, 21:40 PM
poor marshin
he was a guinea pig of moony's evil experiments!!!
laugh.gif
nice guide TBH

Clan: aeon

Game: Graphics

+
# 3Angrenost Nov 12 2005, 21:48 PM
Hmm Great! Very good and interesting guide! cool' banana.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 4Gold Rust Nov 12 2005, 22:06 PM
Your micro management techniques seem to picky. It will only work effeicently if they use lots of musketeers. What happens if they are spanish and decide they want to use lancers and dragoons? What happens if they are the ottomans who want to use abus guns? What if they ally with the indians and get age 2 cree trackers/cherokee riflemen? Your strategy may look sound, but it would never work effeicently against a good player who adapted to the game.

+
# 5iVaaC Nov 12 2005, 23:15 PM
tbh moony is a very good player who would be able to adapt to teh situation. its all a matter of knowing the counters and using micro

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 6Moony Nov 12 2005, 23:32 PM
QUOTE(Gold Rust @ Nov 12 2005, 04:06 PM) *

Your micro management techniques seem to picky. It will only work effeicently if they use lots of musketeers. What happens if they are spanish and decide they want to use lancers and dragoons? What happens if they are the ottomans who want to use abus guns? What if they ally with the indians and get age 2 cree trackers/cherokee riflemen? Your strategy may look sound, but it would never work effeicently against a good player who adapted to the game.

You're 100% wrong. This is a basic guide, intended to help out others. Its common sense to change your techniques to adapt to the enemy. That's a given. If they use lancers and dragoons, of course you make pikemen. This is not a skirmisher spam strategy. It's simply a guide to help others make use of the Dutch's main unit. If they are Ottomans of course you get hussars, if they get indians you get the proper counters. Use some common sense

+
# 7Moony Nov 12 2005, 23:36 PM
Also, you probably can't see it but there are 6 pikemen also attacking the rax with the skirmishers

This post has been edited by MoOnY: Nov 13 2005, 02:16 AM

+
# 8EPIC Perfection Nov 13 2005, 02:47 AM
I have 2 things to say.

First, is the perfection in the title just good word choice or slight reference to the player who recommended that you make this guide smilie_naughty.gif

Second, you never mentioned how to use them vs cav. If you shoot, run long enough for reload, then shoot again you can beat a cavalry force that you would regularly lose to. Especially effective vs no health uhlans.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 9Moony Nov 13 2005, 02:58 AM
added wub.gif

+
# 10Falcon^ Nov 13 2005, 11:42 AM
Really good work Moony. Its so fun to see ur skirmie micromangement. smile.gif

You can see in this replay that the Dutch can reach Age2 even earlier then for exmaple Portugal, cuz the Dutch only save their food for their colonial age whereas other civs have to use it also for their vils...

When i see u playing Dutch, Moony, i am always thinking about changing to the Dutch. wub.gif

Clan: Sons of Elendil

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 11-Lethality- Nov 13 2005, 17:09 PM
Good stuff Moony. smile.gif

Poor Marshin laugh.gif

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 12LordLoL Nov 13 2005, 18:29 PM
Nice writen MoOnY!

+
# 13firgli Nov 14 2005, 12:53 PM
yes another cool guide, youre an awesome strat mod wub.gif. Nice food&coin only for extra skirmisher spamming tongue.gif.

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 14Stechamp Nov 14 2005, 15:27 PM
I'm a big fan of skirmishers and know how to use them. Firing, turning back and then fire again is one of my favorites. Their are more players that use them.

This post has been edited by Stechamp: Nov 14 2005, 15:28 PM

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 15DeadMetal Nov 14 2005, 18:09 PM
thx for the advice moony, very well written

+
# 16Knut^Are^M Nov 14 2005, 19:50 PM
moony does that strat usually work?
hva gjør du mot hester + abuse guns+ janisaries+ natives da?`
pikes er jo ikke så raske!

This post has been edited by Knut^Are^M: Nov 14 2005, 19:51 PM

Game: Rise of Legends

+
# 17Tharkun Nov 14 2005, 19:57 PM
don't think he understand norwegian tbh... just post the repp Knut _are tongue.gif

Game: Universe at War

+
# 18Moony Nov 14 2005, 22:52 PM
Knut it works. If you notice in our game I kill your army of about 25 men with 10 skirmishers. I would have won if it hadn't been for you massive bug abuse.

+
# 19Knut^Are^M Nov 15 2005, 09:40 AM
yeah but when i got those 3 horses and abus guns it was over!
so it got a counter.
and by the way it isnt a bug, its just bad design.
but i will help you on a counter so that you can learn it!
first thing to do is start normally. then pick the advaned teading post card and take 2 trading post. and whatever you do never send skirmishers out alone. there meat for horses.
build a mixture of 2:1:1 of pikes and skirmishers and hussars. that should take care of your
initial truble. remember i am deadmeat without trading posts, it is THE ONLY WAY FOR ME TO GET A DECENT ECONOMY!
in this game i still had a pretty weak economy. Your army was larger at times its just that skirmishers is the worst thing you can use vs abus guns!
abus guns=attllery, skirmishers=light infantry. lightinfantry have no bonus vs attillery.
to make things worse abus guns does get the 2x bonus vs all infantry from the counterinfantry rifling at the arsenal. now that cost 250 Wood+ (200wood and 200 gold).

to be honest you would have been better off with hussars and pikes!

yes in some eyes ottoman is royally screwed. they got a uber early economy, but it sucks after 10 minutes! 0wn3d.gif
but you only buildt 30 villagers in a 20 minut game. from 8:00 to 20:00 you mananged to build 10 villagers. off course my economy is going to be better then!
you spendt 3000 on villagers. i spendt 2 cards, 625 wood tradeposts, 400 gold moske, 1200 wood in tcs, and 200 food and 200 wood for upgradeing traderoutes +250 wood for a moske!a total of 2875 resourses+ 2 cards worth 8 villagers or 600 wood. 2 cards + 625 wood + 200 wood and food cost the equialent of 1800 resourses. you strart with 6 villagers so you spendt 1400 on villagers the first minutes.
oh and take a look at the post game military graf since your so certain you killed more of my units then i killed of yours!

This post has been edited by Knut^Are^M: Nov 15 2005, 10:31 AM

Game: Rise of Legends

+
# 20HERO Nov 15 2005, 11:33 AM
I don't think you realize how Ottoman is supposed to be played.

They can totally ignore early TPs and still crush the enemy into the ground - as long as they're doing the offensive.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)