Hardware

Command line options

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1R Schneider May 20 2009, 12:29 PM
The official README for Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath only mentions three command line switches: -xres, -yres, -nosound. There are however many more such switches (e.g. "-ui" to start the "Control Center"), and I don't think they are documented.

First off, if anyone has more information on command line options, please post them!

I will now post a list of possible switches that can be found in the game executable, and then some notes on what I think they do; my hope is that somebody will be able to find out what the others are good for. All this applies verbatim to Kane's Wrath, and probably to other SAGE-based games as well.

Let's start with an example: Suppose you're tired of seeing nothing but CnC on your screen all day long, and your friend has asked you once again to review a boring replay (in the file boringreplay.cnc3replay), but you'd really like to continue reading your spreadsheets. Then why not put the replay in a small window in a corner, like so:

CNC3.exe -win -xpos 20 -ypos 20 -xres 800 -yres 500 -noaudio -replayGame boringreplay

Confirmed or guessable switches

Here is what I believe some of the possible switches do and which argument they take:
  • -startPaused: Displays a dialog "Waiting" at load time and won't continue until you press OK.
  • -win, -fullscreen: Start in windowed or fullscreen mode, respectively.
  • -xres <number>, -yres <number>: Sets the horizontal and vertical resolution, respectively.
  • -xpos <number>, -ypos <number>: Sets the position of the top-left corner of the window (in windowed mode).
  • -replayGame <name>: Immediately starts to replay name.cnc3replay.
  • -resumeGame <name>: UNTESTED. I think it'll immediately load a safegame.
  • -noReflections, -noBloom, -noAudio3DSounds, -noAudioSounds, -noAudioMusic,
    -noAudioAmbient, -noAudioSpeech, -noaudio: turns off all kinds of audio and video features.
  • -mod <name>: UNTESTED. I suppose this loads a mod named name.SkuDef, but I cannot get it to work.
  • -spectator: Starts the game in a special reduced mode, in which only replays are accessible. I guess (UNTESTED) that this is the opposite of "-fullVersion".
Edit: Seems like someone has already investigated this. The reason the poster sees no effect or experiences crashes with certain switches is that those switches require mandatory arguments. E.g. "-replayGame" won't work, but "-replayGame myLastReplay" will.

Edit: Pressing [F10] in windowed mode brings up the system menu (press [Down] to make the menu visible), effectively pausing the game at any stage, even during videos or menus. Might be well known, but I couldn't see it in the keyboard settings. [F12] takes screenshots.

Possible command line switches

Here follows a list of the remaining possible switches, extracted from the game executable. I added some guesses in parentheses, but with no clue as how to use that particular feature.
  • -randomSeed
  • -noPerfStats
  • -automatch
  • -silentLogin
  • -CapturePath
  • -file
  • -noWatchdog
  • -Watchdog
  • -preferLocalFiles (should be related to whether .big files or local files are used when both are present)
  • -scriptDebugLite
  • -scriptDebug2 (I saw this elsewhere in relation to Lua script debugging when using the WorldBuilder)
  • -noshellmap
  • -config (maybe lets you specify additional config.txt-type files)
  • -modconfig (same just for mods?)
I'm not even sure whether these are switches at all. ("%d" means "integer".)

-startingMoney %d
-fastGamePlay
-AlphaNoDepthTest
-debugCRCUntilFrame %d
-debugCRCFromFrame %d
-binaryDeepCRC
-liteCRC
-deepCRC
-verifyClientCRC
-xLWCRC
-xAICRC
-xPlayerCRC
-xTerrainLogicCRC
-xTaintCRC
-xShroudCRC
-xCollisionCRC
-xPartitionCRC
-xObjectCRC
-bigmemorysentinals
-poolbigblocks
-zerofillmemory
-forceDesyncOnFrame %d (apparently to force a desync during a replay at frame %d)

According to some .ini-files, lots of options may only have an effect in debug builds of the program, so they are actually irrelevant for us.

If you have any idea what these other switches do, please post!

Thanks! -- R.S.

This post has been edited by R Schneider: May 24 2009, 16:13 PM

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 2X-Flame May 22 2009, 19:14 PM
-startingMoney %d
-fastGamePlay

Do those actually work? Sounds cool happy.gif

Game: None

+
# 3R Schneider May 23 2009, 00:00 AM
I don't know if those switches have any effect, alas. The two switches -startingMoney and -fastGamePlay seem to fall in the category "Network" (as can be seen inside the game executable), so I suppose it only pertains to multiplayer (maybe skirmish) games. I guess one could test what happens when you run cnc3.exe -startingMoney 50000, but doing that for all those switches takes some time...

Bear in mind that it might still be that some of those switches I listed only apply to the debug versions and not to the shipped, final build, so they might not have any effect at all. (Though I'm hopeful that since these strings occur in the executable that they are actually all meaningful.)

Other categories mentioned by name are "NetCRCInterval" (all those switches with "CRC" in the name), which I suppose pertains to tweaking the multiplayer network protocol (maybe a way to smuggle in that maphack?); "GamePlay", which encompasses all the "-no*" switches; and "battlecastcc3" (all others).

Cheers, -- R.S.

+
# 4Roboreaper May 28 2009, 18:31 PM
you can run any version of TW using -runver1.0 until -runver1.09.

so you wont need to delete files biggrin.gif. or download a replay from an old version to access that version( after the replay loads just exit or watch the replay. and check your options screen what version it is biggrin.gif )

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 5R Schneider May 28 2009, 18:47 PM
QUOTE(Roboreaper @ May 28 2009, 08:31 AM) *

you can run any version of TW using -runver 1.0 until -runver 1.09.

Very nice! And here I was removing SkuDef files... :bang: So the replay loader will probably just start the game in the version that's appropriate for the replay you selected. (But you'll have to restart to play a replay from a different version.)

How did you know about this option - is it documented somewhere?

+
# 6Elearen Jun 13 2009, 10:54 AM
Remember that much of the game and features are remnant of many years of iterations of the same game engine, so even though the switches may still exist, they mar not still be applicable.

The runver command is pretty much common knowledge these days, I think it is documented in the help files, I am unsure.

I assume that -fastgameplay is the old fashioned "Quick Game" option, which ends the game when all buildings are lost, as opposed to when all units are lost.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 7Lauren Oct 21 2009, 19:05 PM
-spectator : Battlecast Viewer Mode, as guessed opposite of -fullVersion, the same as if you would start the Battlecast Viewer (basically its the same but the exe has been set up to default the -spectator, the normal game defaults to -fullVersion). Also gives the TW blue-earth style background in KW.

-CapturePath MyPath\MyFileName : sets path and filenames for screenshots, for example "C:\Screens\foo" would give you a screenshot named foo0001.bmp placed in C:\Screens , defaults to MyDocs\...\Screenshots\sshot

-silentLogin : auto login after starting the game to the online mode and direct join of casual x (the first lobby that's not overcrowded) but doesn't load all the players/games right, just enter another and it will load them normally. Only works if you logged in at least once and it saved your account and pw

-mod : old BFME style Mod Big loader, will throw an ".big mods currently not supported" exception.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 8I.AM.OP Oct 22 2009, 06:05 AM

-silentLogin : auto login after starting the game to the online mode and direct join of casual x (the first lobby that's not overcrowded) but doesn't load all the players/games right, just enter another and it will load them normally. Only works if you logged in at least once and it saved your account and pw

Never knew this one, thanks I'll be using this from now on.

+
# 9Samuraiiuk Oct 23 2009, 12:41 PM
Bookmarked smile.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 10Karlgren Jan 12 2010, 19:38 PM
These switches have been very helpful! smile.gif Sticky*

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 11Disco2Disco Jan 12 2010, 20:06 PM
done. smile.gif

+
# 12Vissario Aug 15 2010, 09:40 AM
Very interesting post.

+
# 13studiodavinci Nov 13 2010, 22:03 PM
No EA logo MOD

By the way - this is not command line option, but very useful thing, which many would expect to be command line option - no EA logo mod on start (it modifies Core\1.1\Config.txt and adds dummy file: Core\1.1\no_ea_logo.big)
You can find it at here:http://www.tibed.net/editing/cnc3/nologo

+
# 14R Schneider Aug 4 2011, 10:15 AM
QUOTE(studiodavinci @ Nov 13 2010, 22:03 PM) *
No EA logo MOD

By the way - this is not command line option, but very useful thing, which many would expect to be command line option - no EA logo mod on start (it modifies Core\1.1\Config.txt and adds dummy file: Core\1.1\no_ea_logo.big)
You can find it at here:http://www.tibed.net/editing/cnc3/nologo

Yeah, you can even achieve this quite easily by one tiny modification of RetailExe\1.2\config.txt and by providing a modified copy of RetailExe\1.2\Data\ini\video.ini, where you just delete the splash screen video entry. (You can extract the original with a BIG extractor.)

+
# 15thedataking Sep 18 2012, 23:07 PM
Hello,

First off, I'm sorry this is completely irrelevant to the forum topic, but I cannot PM you.

I have been looking for the C&C 3 sounds, and google lead me to a thread where you ran a batch and extracted all 10,000 sounds. Your post (http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?s=&showtopic=623913&view=findpost&p=7305313) contained a link to a random download site, but the link is dead, and the forum is locked.

Is there any way I can convince you to either create a torrent of them (So I can download them from you directly) or re-upload to that server?

Thank you,
TDK

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)