Dawn of War 2

Relic has a winner on their hands.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Jagermaestro Aug 28 2009, 21:50 PM
QUOTE(Mhorhe @ Aug 28 2009, 14:01 PM) *

Nah, what looked like a Slugga Nob was going to make pudding out of the Space Marine and the Mekboy..saved him?

Odd, I thought about that myself-since the 3 of them were in a Mexican standoff immediately afterwards.

The Mekboy's aim was just a tad off. He had no intention of saving the SM.

There was an upload problem with the vid and the first few seconds are missing, hopefully that'll be corrected soon!

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2Jagermaestro Aug 28 2009, 22:06 PM
He's a Space Marine Captain actually; guess he prefers the helmetted look!

+
# 3Jagermaestro Aug 28 2009, 22:31 PM
QUOTE(podschi @ Aug 28 2009, 15:23 PM) *
one thing i'd like to know though. will there be an automatch option to find gamepartners or do i have to look for public games?

Yeah the mode is built for automatch and the flow is really quite streamlined. There'll be a shiny new 'The Last Stand' button in the main menu, after selecting it you'll choose your hero, equip him/her, and then click a button to start searching. Once you've found 2 other guys (or alternately, invited 2 of your friends to begin with), you'll be matched up together and put in a 30 second countdown where you can see each other's wargear loadouts and discuss some final strats before going into game.

+
# 4Jagermaestro Aug 28 2009, 22:47 PM
QUOTE(podschi @ Aug 28 2009, 15:41 PM) *

if i understood it correctly: i can level up my hero over all i matches i have played and not just in one particular match (just like the ranks work now i assume). will i be matched with two other heroes on the same level as mine? or will there be a separate trueskill for this? is it based on my ranked ranked trueskill? so many questions and so much excitement for this new mode. i hope it comes soon.
*crossing fingers*

There's some matchmaking logic involved, however it has nothing to do with your PVP rank and is quite lenient overall. Level definitely doesn't trump skill in The Last Stand, so even at level 1 you're going to feel quite powerful (you just won't have the same loadout options you get at higher levels).

And yes, hero progression is saved between matches. You get granted experience after your game finishes, and if that was enough to level you up, upon returning to the FE you'll have a new piece of wargear to play with.

Additionally, your progress is saved to your GFWL gamer profile, so as long as you're using the same gamertag, you'll always have your gear no matter where you're playing.

+
# 5Jagermaestro Aug 28 2009, 23:07 PM
QUOTE(ibplunderin @ Aug 28 2009, 15:49 PM) *

So do you get a random wargear? or is it wargear for the hero you were playing as?

*because it would kind of suck to get a pew pew gun for farseer if you are playing as a WAAAAAGHBOSS.

Each hero has unique wargear, so no worries, you won't have a farseer walking around with a chainsword (though that would be pretty cool IMO!) It's also not random, but rather progression-based. As an example, if you and your friend both level your Farseer up to level 12, you'll each get the same pieces of wargear at the same levels along the way.

+
# 6Jagermaestro Aug 29 2009, 01:37 AM
QUOTE(Merc Scout @ Aug 28 2009, 17:27 PM) *

so instead of balancing the game they were doing that >.> *sigh*

If you would prefer I could have taken a stab at balancing the game rather than working on Last Stand.

I don't think you would have liked the result very much 8)

+
# 7TASK3R Aug 29 2009, 05:57 AM
QUOTE(Merc Scout @ Aug 28 2009, 17:27 PM) *

so instead of balancing the game they were doing that >.> *sigh*

Not really sure where this logic comes from all the time. There are more than four people on the DOW2 team.

+
# 8Jagermaestro Aug 31 2009, 17:12 PM
Each hero has a pretty diverse set of wargear choices. The Mekboy has several different ranged options, but he can also go melee if you prefer. The space marine is equally devastating in either a ranged setup or melee setup. The farseer can go as a powerhouse melee tank, or more of a high-damage output but low damage-intake ranged caster.

All three heroes have a number of accessories and commander items to unlock that will further enhance whatever role you prefer playing. And to re-iterate, you can have any combinations of the heroes you want in a game. I've had games with 3x Space Marine Captain heroes where each one of the guys was decked out differently and offered something completely different.

Additionally, the game mode isn't "finished" yet. We're still working on tuning and fixing bugs, so we're not holding it back from you guys for the fun of it.

+
# 9Jagermaestro Aug 31 2009, 18:08 PM
QUOTE(ibplunderin @ Aug 31 2009, 10:44 AM) *

So is the choice of which commander you choose superficial?.. I mean does it matter if you choose the farseer over the Seargent since they can fit most roles?

I guess i'm just wondering if its just a system to where you play what race/commander you like best and its mostly a cosmetical/flavor difference from the other two commanders.

I wouldn't say its that bad of a thing if it is like that, just wondering if the Farseer/mek/seargent will have some things that make them unique to set them apart from eachother (other than the flavor of weapons and cosmetic differences)

The 3 heroes are *very* different from one another. A space marine decked out for melee isn't anywhere remotely close to a farseer who is also set up for melee. Each hero offers something completely different from the other heroes, and with different wargear combinations the same hero can play in a drastically different manner.

Despite there only being 3 heroes, there are a large number of permutations possible when you get to the higher levels and unlock most of the gear.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)