Men of War: Assault Squad

The "For Dummies" Guide to installing the Men of War 1.16.4 Patch

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1FrozenLiquidity Nov 3 2009, 05:57 AM
To me, the patching process seems fairly straightforward, but some people appear to be having problems with it, and may not be as computer literate. So, here is is, the "For Dummies" Guide to installing the 1.16.4 Patch for Men of War.

As it stands now, this 1.16.4 Patch may be the final patch for Men of War, so if you have been waiting for an "official" release of the patch, don't bother. Follow these instructions:

You need to have Men of War with the 1.11.3 patch installed before you do anything else. If you use steam, you should already be at this version, if you are using a retail or digital download copy, update to this version.

First, you will need to download the 1.16.4 patch from here.

Before you run the patch you'll want to determine where Men of War is located on your computer. You probably launch Men of War from a desktop shortcut or a start menu shortcut. If you navigate to this shortcut and look at the properties (right click it, click properties) you'll find the information you need to know about the location of your Men of War directory. Steam users: Your Men of War directory will be a little deeper than what the shortcut shows. You will find it in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Men of War\ (or something similar). Note that while I am using the Steam version for the purpose of this demonstration, if you follow these instructions the patch should work for any Men of War installation.

IPB Image
1 Right-click on shortcut
2 Click "Properties"
3 Take note of the Men of War directory
4 Click "Open File Location" or "Find Target" to open this directory,

Once you know where your Men of War directory is, you'll want to navigate there. The easiest method is clicking "Open File Location" or "Find Target" button inside the properties window. You can also do this by copying the path and putting it into the run dialog (Windows Key + R) or by simply exploring "My Computer" until you arrive at the correct path. (Double-click my computer, double-click Program Files, etc.). Once you are there, you should see all your Men of War files.

IPB Image
Note that the blue highlighted path matches the path that was circled in blue in the previous image.

Keep this window open, you'll need to use it later. Now, open up the patch you downloaded. The installation wizard should present itself, and after you click the next button, you should see something similar to the screen below.

IPB Image
IMPORTANT: Take note of the path which the patch intends to install to, you will need to go to this folder after the patch finishes installing, is is indicated with a green circle.

Take note of the circled area. This is the path which the patch will be installed to, and it may be different when you install it. You will need this later, because it is not installing to the exact place your Men of War installation is, you will not be able to run it. Since the patch does not give us an option to change the directory, simply make a note of this directory and continue installing it.

IPB Image
After the patch is installed, go to the folder that was indicated during the installation wizard. Both are indicated with green in this image and the previous one.

After it completes, visit the directory that was listed during the installation. Now you will want to select all of these files (Ctrl + A) and then copy them (Ctrl + C). Go back to your Men of War directory and paste the files into the Men of War directory (Ctrl + V). You may be asked to overwrite some files, just click "Yes" or "Yes to all". When it is done copying, you will have your Men of War directoy with a few new files in it.

IPB Image
Copy files, overwrite any files when prompted.

While you can still play your single player games using the old "mow.exe" (That's the Men of War game executable file for you knuckleheads) you will need to use the new "outfront_mp.exe" to launch multiplayer. (if you have file exentions turned off, you will not see .exe at the end of your programs). So make a shortcut to outfront_mp (right click outfront_mp, then click "create shortcut"), and you'll have a new "Shortcut to outfront.mp". Just take this file and put it on your desktop, or wherever you launch your games from.

IPB Image
This is your newly created shortcut. Place it on the desktop, start menu, or wherever you intend to launch the game from.

Now, launch the game using this new shortcut, and viola, you should be in Men of War v1.16.4. You can now delete the folder that was created during the patch process, the path indicated by green in the previous images. Enjoy!

But.. mellow.gif

..what if.. sad.gif

..it didn't work? frusty.gif

Well, it depends where you went wrong. If you run the game and the version indicated is 1.11.4, make sure you are launching the right program. The old executable file (game) will say it is 1.11.4 if you launch it after you've installed the patch, so make sure you're running "outfront_mp" and not something else. If it doesn't work and you can't pinpoint a specific reason, backtrack through these steps as you've probably missed something.

If the game gives you an error when you launch, take note of the error and ask for help. You are likely to get help here, or by posting on Digitalmindsoft technical support forums.

This post has been edited by FrozenLiquidity: Jan 20 2010, 21:40 PM

Game: Men of War: Assault Squad

+
# 2FrozenLiquidity Nov 3 2009, 05:57 AM
reserved

+
# 3positive_4_life Nov 4 2009, 01:32 AM
By default it installs to C:\patch_v1_16_4\, and my primary partition is D:\ (don't ask). So I've tried changing the drive letter from D: to C: but in regedit and in the disk management tool, and they don't work either. Is there a work around?

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4FrozenLiquidity Nov 4 2009, 02:23 AM
Well, what is on your C: drive?

If it installs to C: and you can access C: then there's no problem. Just copy from that path to where it needs to be. If your C: is otherwise incapacitated and unusable, then I am not sure if you can force the patch to install anywhere else. Personally in this case I'd install the patch on a computer that does have a C: drive (I don't think you need to have the game installed at all) and copy the contents of the patch to a flash drive, if the computer is remote, or use the network if the computer is local, to relocate the extracted files to your system and enable you to play.

+
# 5positive_4_life Nov 4 2009, 03:08 AM
That's the thing, there is no drive C: being used. I run a dual boot with both windows 7 and ubuntu, and used usb creator to ubuntu. Somewhere in that process, my sandisk cruzier usb drive came to use the C:\ drive letter, and I know this because I'm looking at it from the regedit location for drive letters.
If I try to proceed with the C:\ installation path for the Men of War patch, it will just give me an abort,retry,ignore prompt for everything file that would need to be patched.

Note: I've patched the 1.16.4 patch before, it's just now its in more unusual circumstances and was wondering if there was a more preferable workaround then reformatting windows to use the C:\, because I can't even change its drive letter from the disk management tool.

But I guess if a computer that doesn't need Men Of War installed that has the C:\ drive is the only thing that's needed I could try that.

This post has been edited by positive_4_life: Nov 4 2009, 03:09 AM

+
# 6FrozenLiquidity Nov 4 2009, 04:20 AM
I'm pretty sure it is. That's really all you need.

+
# 7ACSpeter20 Nov 22 2009, 21:05 PM
I did everything thing in the right way, but when i tried to open it, it said" this app has failed to start because d4dx9_40dll was not found. re-installing blah blah blah. So i did re-install, but same thing happen!

+
# 8FrozenLiquidity Nov 23 2009, 02:59 AM
Well, first it's d3dx9_40.dll Second, I've run into this error before. You may want to try downloading the file and placing it in your game directory. (Google is your friend here)

Additionally, it would be helpful to know what versions you are running. Did you get the game off of steam? D2D? Retail? Did you have the *correct* 1.11.3 patch installed and working before attempting to install the 1.16.4 patch? (There are different versions of the 1.11.3 patch). Are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit OS? Which OS? Plus any other information you may have. It would really help.

+
# 9ACSpeter20 Nov 23 2009, 06:24 AM
I got the patch from DMS website, i downloaded the the 1.11.3 patch from there too. And i think mine is the 64bits.

+
# 10ACSpeter20 Nov 23 2009, 10:07 AM
oh wait, now it works. thanks!!!

+
# 11finian1712 Dec 5 2009, 00:27 AM
I have a problem it gives me an error message that it cannot find a certain little program/file thing even though they are in the same folder!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Game: Battlefield 1943

+
# 12charliesshortt Dec 6 2009, 16:12 PM
So I installed it but when i go to the games list this is what i get
So frustrating, I thought I did everything right.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+
# 13xccam Dec 6 2009, 19:10 PM
whats wrong with that fatebomb?

Clan: LaX

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 14BrandenburgKommando Dec 6 2009, 19:29 PM
You did fate that is all right oh silly fatebomb

+
# 15charliesshortt Dec 6 2009, 19:52 PM
someone should have told me that I had to cl ick on the green ones sad.gif
thanks anyways guys

This post has been edited by charliesshortt: Dec 6 2009, 19:55 PM

+
# 16Hy3RiD Dec 22 2009, 12:35 PM
new to MoW: is this an offical patch? wacko.gif

+
# 17Playermyth Dec 22 2009, 18:04 PM
It's official, but in "beta" stage. It's actually been around for quite some time but 1.16.4 has yet to go to retail stage. Most games these days played online are 1.16.4 though.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 18xXDeathReaperXx Jan 4 2010, 00:21 AM
I have steam but I am still at 1.11 patch.wat could be wrong?

+
# 19FrozenLiquidity Jan 7 2010, 23:45 PM
If you have steam, you should be at patch 1.11.3, not 1.11....

Again, double-check that you have done everything correctly. I've installed 1.16.4 onto steam several times and if you follow this guide you should have no problems.

Make sure you are running the correct execuatable as well.

+
# 20triumph Jan 21 2010, 08:53 AM
thanks for the guide, it helped. smile.gif

Clan: EPIC

Game: Generals 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)