Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

War themed movies

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1warhawks Nov 10 2009, 13:58 PM
ok, here are the rules for this thread:

1. You only get to post 1 movie per post, per day, no movie spamming ( The Lazuka Rule tongue.gif )
2. The movie has to have something to do with warfare, any era, etc.
3. Comment on as many movies as you like.
4. Post either youtube video or links to video where someone can read/see what the movie is about.

I'll start (see clip below).

The (running) List in the order they where submitted:
1. Patton - submitted by warhawks
2. Forest Gump - Lazuka
3. We Were Soldiers - Dan
4. Band of Brothers - Killer
5. Platoon - Rasta
6. Full Metal Jacket - Rasta
7. Enemy at the Gates - Siou
8. The Pacific (yet to be released) - DoM
9. Zulu - Chev
10. Schindler's List - Wulf
11. The Thin Red Line - Breeze
12. Black Hawk Down - warhawks
13. Saving Private Ryan - DoM
14. A Bridge Too Far - DoM
15. Windtalkers - Jagd
16. Saints and Soldiers - DoM
17. The Patriot - Killer
18. Glory - DoM
19. Great Escape - Boogem
20. The Deer Hunter - warhawks
21. The Pianist - Wulf
22. Flags Of Our Fathers - warhawks
23. Letters From Iwo Jima - warhawks
24. The Longest Day - Wulf
25. Top Gun - warhawks
26. A Few Good Men - warhawks
27. The Hurt Locker - TheBreeze
28. The Boys from Brazil - warhawks
29. Empire of the Sun - Wulf
30. Grave of the Fireflies- Wulf
31. The Big Red One - Mazakare
32. American Soldier - DeaNofMean
33. The Brotherhood of War - DeaNofMean
34. Apocalypse Now - Chevrolet
35. Gods and Generals - DoM
36. Gettysburg - DoM
37. Brave Heart - DoM
38. Born on the 4th of July - warhawks
39. Das Boot - warhawks

One of my favorites, it not my favorite war movie:

This post has been edited by warhawks: Dec 4 2010, 13:52 PM

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2lazuka12 Nov 10 2009, 14:15 PM
QUOTE(warhawks @ Nov 10 2009, 16:58 PM) *

( The Lazuka Rule tongue.gif )

God damn it!

+
# 3kllthdyrctr Nov 10 2009, 14:20 PM
We Were Soldiers.

No youtube needed. Class film.

+
# 4y0urkill3r Nov 10 2009, 15:02 PM
yay!! a thread for me to find nice war movies and expand my war film collection!! keep posting people laugh.gif

Judjing from my sig, I really like the band of brothers series. they are so epic smile.gif

This post has been edited by y0urkill3r: Nov 10 2009, 15:04 PM

+
# 5Rasta Nov 10 2009, 15:48 PM
Platoon - Probably the most shocking war movie of it's time, the first one in which you heard stories about war veterans leaving the movie theater crying because it was so real.

+
# 6Rasta Nov 10 2009, 15:50 PM
full metal jacket - another awesome vietnam movie

+
# 7Rasta Nov 10 2009, 15:52 PM
QUOTE(kllthdyrctr @ Nov 10 2009, 09:20 AM) *

We Were Soldiers.

No youtube needed. Class film.

Beat me to it, We were soldiers also a pretty good vietnam movie.

Don't get me started on war movies, I could do this all day!

+
# 8lazuka12 Nov 10 2009, 18:14 PM
Vietnam movies + Tropic thunder tongue.gif

+
# 9DoM™ Nov 10 2009, 19:19 PM
QUOTE(Rasta @ Nov 10 2009, 16:52 PM) *

Same here. Ive loads on my list, but i'll start with these two:

@ y0urkill3r:

Dude we've got a lot in common biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by DeaNofMeaN: Nov 10 2009, 19:21 PM

Game: None

+
# 10Siou Nov 10 2009, 19:35 PM
What did you expect me to post? wink.gif

+
# 11DoM™ Nov 10 2009, 19:57 PM
Cant wait to watch this one wink.gif

Game: None

+
# 12y0urkill3r Nov 10 2009, 20:13 PM
QUOTE(Rasta @ Nov 10 2009, 16:52 PM) *

I think someone is following the lazuka (spamming) rule.. laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE(DeaNofMeaN @ Nov 10 2009, 20:19 PM) *

@ y0urkill3r:

Dude we've got a lot in common biggrin.gif

Indeed mate smile.gif i was going to mention it tbh tongue.gif

QUOTE(Siou @ Nov 10 2009, 20:35 PM) *

What did you expect me to post? wink.gif

Did Vasili tought you how to sniper micro in coh? ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(DeaNofMeaN @ Nov 10 2009, 20:57 PM) *

Really looking forward for this movie as well!! any idead when its coming out?

+
# 13Rasta Nov 10 2009, 21:43 PM
QUOTE(DeaNofMeaN @ Nov 10 2009, 14:57 PM) *

Same with me, really looking forward to this one.

+
# 14Chevrolet Nov 11 2009, 00:03 AM
British colonial ransacking of South Africa went largely unchecked. Then, one warlord decided to stand against the might of the British empire.

This post has been edited by Chevrolet: Nov 11 2009, 00:04 AM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 15L.Wulf Nov 11 2009, 00:03 AM
I, like many others in the clan it looks like, have a real passion for war movies, and I have a long list of favorites.

For those mentioned, I really loved Platoon and Band of Brothers (eagerly awaiting The Pacific), but I didn't think much of some of the others.

Despite some fantastic combat scenes, I though We Were Soldier was a horrible film. The director is nothing short of a douche. I really didnt find any of the emotion in the movie believable and everything about the acting was just too cliche. The bayonet charge at the end was just wank.

Enemy at the Gates was a little too Hollywood for my tastes, but still a good movie. Would have been nice if they displayed the suffering of the Russian people and the German soldiers a bit better though. The battles never hit me as being some of the most horrific and gruesome of WW2, and there were so many points in the movie where there was little or no fighting going on in the background...?!?!. The German movie Stalingrad does a better job of depicting this battle if you ask me.

As for Patton, I just don't find him or Montgomery as a person interesting at all, and watching them for like 3 hours (?) was much too much for me. His tactics very interesting, but his personality is not something I enjoyed watching in a movie.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet, as it's probably the greatest war themed movie of all time, though it does not have a combat theme. I am of course talking about:

I have many more to include that others haven't yet, but I wouldn't want to break the Lazuka rule tongue.gif

+
# 16warhawks Nov 11 2009, 00:47 AM
@ Wulf - Seriously, Patton a boring character?!?! Just listen/read his speeches, there are some great lines in there! Patton was a real character that is what made him so intriguing.

As for other movies, I a bunch more that I want to list, but want to give others a chance to pitch in. I post another one tomorrow and limit my movies to one a day smile.gif

+
# 17TheBreeze Nov 11 2009, 00:54 AM
My candidates for my favorite war movies would be Saving Private Ryan (I am wondering why the name of this hasn't come up yet) and The Thin Red Line.

I would consider SPR to be my favorite, because it was very, very intense in its fighting scenes, it actually gives the impression this thing is real and not just a movie. It also has some pretty decent character development. Things I don't like in it though, and that's the reason it's not my favorite one, are that it pretty much only shows the war from the American perspective and presents them as the 'heroes' of it and the fact that it is so famous, so much discussed and so projected overall. Dunno why, but the last reason really spoils much of the enjoyment I have when I watch a film.

Anyway, my favorite is The Thin Red Line. Not nearly as intense fighting scenes, in fact it doesn't focus on fighting much. I love the fact how its mostly consisted of inner monologues of the various protagonist's, unfolding each ones personally, thoughts, fears etc. Oh, a Greek actor also plays in it, so that is of course a plus tongue.gif.

Here's its trailer

+
# 18L.Wulf Nov 11 2009, 01:12 AM
QUOTE(warhawks @ Nov 11 2009, 10:47 AM) *

@ Wulf - Seriously, Patton a boring character?!?! Just listen/read his speeches, there are some great lines in there! Patton was a real character that is what made him so intriguing.

As for other movies, I a bunch more that I want to list, but want to give others a chance to pitch in. I post another one tomorrow and limit my movies to one a day smile.gif

Hawks, it is not that he is boring, your right, he is anything but. And your right, he absolutely does have some good one liners. But he and Montgomery's raging narcissism and love of attention quite simply annoy me. Not to mention slapping someone under your command for being a coward, which was both blown out of proportion in the media imo, but still doesnt lean me to like the guy. I also felt the movie focused far too much on this side of personality, but never really went into his genius in terms of tactics, though some of the moments where he demonstrates leadership in War times were interesting. It also never really breached tank combat, which would have made the movie very very interesting to me (but probably alot less to the general public).

And yeah, its a good rule Hawks smile.gif It's kinda a thread ruiner if someone comes in and posts their top 50, and leaves everyone else making an attempt to comment.

@ Breeze, I wonder why no one has posted Saving Private Ryan as well, it is an awesome movie.

edit: It just occurred to me as I was rereading this thread that earlier on I was being very very critical of some of the favorite (and thus probably loved) movies which you guys have posted earlier in this thread, when in actuality that is not what this thread was about. It was extremely negative of me to do this and I apologize if i offended or discouraged anyone.

Not to sure why I was acting like this earlier in the day... I think I have been argumentative lately for no reason. Sometimes I do this when I have alot to say about a topic, even something as simple and friendly as our favorite movies or games tongue.gif On the other hand, maybe I have just had too much caffeine today, hence why I can't sleep now xD

This post has been edited by L.Wulf: Nov 11 2009, 13:36 PM

+
# 19warhawks Nov 11 2009, 14:47 PM
ok, here is my movie for the day:

Also the song from the movie (love this song and I don't know why, I can't understand a single word):

+
# 20lazuka12 Nov 11 2009, 17:31 PM
QUOTE(warhawks @ Nov 11 2009, 17:47 PM) *

SPAM I AM NOT HAPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYY!
IPB Image

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)