Dawn of War 2

Detailed Tool-Tips Mod

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Kolaris Mar 28 2010, 22:44 PM
IPB Image

All finished! Although, when changing 75% of the MP tool-tips, its possible - nay, likely - that I missed some typos or the like. I've been double checking over the last few days, but I'm still betting some made it through.

Detailed Tool-Tips for Patch 3.19.1

To install, extract the DetailedTooltipsv314.ucs into your Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Dawn of War ii - Retribution\GameAssets\Locale\English folder. Delete or move the existing DOW2.ucs file out of that folder for safe keeping.

For those of you unfamiliar with what this mod/project does, its a fully Ranked-compatible overhaul of the in-game tool-tips to display more hard stats and concrete data. Tired of having to look up on the Codex exactly what an upgrade does? Annoyed by ambiguous ability descriptions? Vexed by wargears telling you they increase health but not which one increases it the most? I'm no salesman or anything, but I'd strongly suggest you have a look at how Detailed Tooltips can help you out. You can check the links at the bottom of this post for examples of what they display and how they display it. If it seems like the sort of thing that would come in handy, give it a try.

Q: So, this isn't a mod? It doesn't break Ranked play?
A: No, it does not break Ranked and vanilla Dawn of War 2 is as vanilla as ever - except for the tool-tips. You can play someone without Detailed Tool-Tips and they'll see the vanilla text while you're looking the extra info.

Q: What extra info is displayed?
A: For abilities, you can now see the cooldown, duration, affected targets, damage, damage types, area of effect, and buff/debuff strength. Units now display their unit type as well as their armour type under their names to make the ability/weapon info more useful. Upgrades and Wargear now list any and all buffs and effects that take place on completion. The build tool-tips for purchasing a unit will display the units' speed, melee skill, and give rough dps numbers.

Q: What info is not displayed?
A: An important question, the most obvious and important stats that are not displayed are damage vs armour modifiers and accuracy vs size modifiers. These play a large part in damage per second values, making the dps numbers given in-game rather rough estimates, especially for ranged weapons. Thankfully both of these things are on their own pages over on the DoW2Codex (Damage vs Armour, Accuracy vs Size), and are on the whole rather accessible and important values are easy to remember or look up. The size of a unit is for the most part rather intuitive, with Infantry being Small, Vehicles being Large, Rippers being Tiny...however there are a few outlying cases, like Terminators and a few Commanders that can make things harder to remember.

Another important stat not directly displayed is Melee Resistance, which plays a very significant part in how melee battles go down. Melee Resistance reduces received melee damage by 40%, and it follows this general rule: if an Infantry type unit starts with over 50 Melee Skill, it has Melee Resistance. There are two exceptions: Plague Marines and vanilla Terminators, both units having 60 Melee Skill but not having Melee Resistance.

There are a few other stats and values that are either not displayed or self-describing. These include experience points, experience needed to level, bonuses gained from leveling, acceleration and deceleration, and ability ranges.

Q: How is the info displayed? What syntax is used?
A: There are a few general rules I followed that I should detail to make things clearer. Some of these might seem self-explanatory to some of you, oh well.

#1: Any tool-tip on or about a weapon that describes Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Vehicles etc - is talking about Armour Type. Weapons use Armour Type.
#2: Any tool-tip on or about an ability that describes Infantry, Vehicles, Monstrous Creatures etc - is talking about Unit Type with some exceptions that are noted on the tool-tip in question. Abilities use Unit Type, with some exceptions.
#3: If an ability lists multiple effects, they all apply in the radius given unless multiple radii are listed.
#4: If an ability lists multiple effects, they all apply to the target given unless multiple targets are listed.
#5: If an ability's damage is not listed and says only "X Damage", usually preluded by the word "inflicts", this damage ignores Armour Type and is applied directly. "True Damage" is the common term I believe.
#6: An ability affects both friends and foes unless specifically said to affect only one or the other. I tried to use the words "any" and "all" when describing abilities that affect both, but I'm pretty sure there are times I didn't add it.
#7: An ability affects all targets unless a specific target type is given.
#8: Weapons that are effective against Heavy Infantry are also effective against Super Heavy Infantry
#9: Terms are capitalized when linked with a hard stat. "Increases speed" is lower-case while "Increases Speed by 50%" is upper-case. Likewise "resist suppression" is lower-case while "immune to Suppression" is upper-case.
#10: Weapons that do knockback like Plasma Devastators and most special attacks do so with Weapon Knockback. Yeah...but there are a couple exceptions so it should be noted.
#11: When a damage number says "up to X damage" that means its an AoE attack and will do the damage listed at the shortest damage increment radii. Unfortunately there was no way to efficiently display the damage increments or the damage modifiers for said increments.

Might add more later.

Sample Images

Hero Select Screen 1
Hero Select Screen 2
Hero Select Screen 3
Hero Select Screen 4
Unit Purchase 1
Unit Purchase 2
Unit Purchase 3
Unit Purchase 4
Unit Purchase 5
Unit Purchase 6
Unit Upgrade 1
Unit Upgrade 2
Unit Upgrade 3
Unit Upgrade 4
Unit Ability 1
Unit Ability 2
Unit Ability 3
Unit Ability 4
Unit Ability 5
Unit Ability 6
Unit Ability 7
Unit Ability 8
Unit Ability 9
Hero Wargear 1
Hero Wargear 2
Hero Wargear 3
Hero Wargear 4
Global Ability 1
Global Ability 2

Thanks to Hewhodis for the awesome banner.

This post has been edited by Kolaris: Feb 16 2012, 20:56 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File DetailedToolTipsv3191.rar
Size: 1006.91k
Number of downloads: 927

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2ChaoticChaos Mar 28 2010, 22:50 PM
Yayy!

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3Kolaris Mar 28 2010, 22:54 PM
Oh, and I know about the bug with the Unit Type list on the Hero select screen. In a cruel irony, the only piece of text I found that wasn't redundant is the one linking that text to the Unit Type/Armour Type below a Heroes name in-game. I figured it really wasn't a big deal.

+
# 4Drudgenought Mar 28 2010, 23:00 PM
Is there any confirmation from devs or anything that using this in ranked is alright and fair play?

+
# 5Tyranid123 Mar 28 2010, 23:05 PM
Kolaris, yes we he can did!

This post has been edited by Tyranid123: Mar 28 2010, 23:07 PM
1158 1061 1214

+
# 6Dullahan Mar 28 2010, 23:11 PM
QUOTE(Drudgenought @ Mar 28 2010, 17:00 PM) *

Is there any confirmation from devs or anything that using this in ranked is alright and fair play?

Not like it's any different than knowing the values going in. Sure it can be a bit of an advantage knowing specific effects of an ability that aren't properly conveyed by the game (like the Avatar's Aura) but people have been reading this stuff up on codex for months so it's nothing new.

1374 ... ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 7Drudgenought Mar 28 2010, 23:23 PM
QUOTE(ITSSEXYTIME @ Mar 28 2010, 23:11 PM) *

Not like it's any different than knowing the values going in. Sure it can be a bit of an advantage knowing specific effects of an ability that aren't properly conveyed by the game (like the Avatar's Aura) but people have been reading this stuff up on codex for months so it's nothing new.

Yes, but it is technically altering the game files. Most multiplayer games have that listed as a breach of eula if nothing else, and many consider it cheating. I know most of this stuff off the codex already, so while I'd like to use this I also don't want to take any risks.

This post has been edited by Drudgenought: Mar 28 2010, 23:23 PM

+
# 8Cegua Mar 28 2010, 23:42 PM
Would you consider GRID keys a cheating?

+
# 9Forak Mar 29 2010, 00:54 AM
Was I'm amazed how great this is ^^ Not played many DoW2 games and I can't make much sense of the stats on dow2.info half the time. But this is really to the point and everything I need to know smile.gif many thanks!

+
# 10Auron. Mar 29 2010, 05:48 AM
It's beautiful! Relic should hire Kolaris for great justice!

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 11Sakrifice Mar 29 2010, 07:43 AM
This is very nice. Great effort on it and thank you for sharing it.

+
# 12Infinitius Mar 29 2010, 08:07 AM
Very Cool!

+
# 13Skellor Mar 29 2010, 08:24 AM
wher to i extract the file to?

+
# 14seadhna Mar 29 2010, 09:46 AM
there are some strange numbers on CL's bloodlust tooltip on hero selection screen, like 91111979 before the text

Game: League of Legends

+
# 15Thunderfist Mar 29 2010, 11:02 AM
IPB Image

Great work, i will use it.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 16Kolaris Mar 29 2010, 14:34 PM
QUOTE(Skellor @ Mar 29 2010, 01:24 AM) *

wher to i extract the file to?

Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Dawn of War 2\GameAssets\Locale\English. Move the file labelled "DOW2.ucs" out of the Locale\English folder and somewhere else for safe keeping.

QUOTE(seadhna @ Mar 29 2010, 02:46 AM) *

there are some strange numbers on CL's bloodlust tooltip on hero selection screen, like 91111979 before the text

Hmm, I'll take a look, does it say "No Range" or something else?

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean, thanks for the heads up.

This post has been edited by Kolaris: Mar 29 2010, 15:39 PM

+
# 17Skellor Mar 29 2010, 16:18 PM
QUOTE(Kolaris @ Mar 29 2010, 14:34 PM) *

Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Dawn of War 2\GameAssets\Locale\English. Move the file labelled "DOW2.ucs" out of the Locale\English folder and somewhere else for safe keeping.

ty will it auto update w the patch, or will u release a new ver?

+
# 18Kolaris Mar 29 2010, 16:38 PM
I'll be releasing a new version when patches come out

+
# 19Skellor Mar 29 2010, 19:03 PM
QUOTE(Kolaris @ Mar 29 2010, 16:38 PM) *

I'll be releasing a new version when patches come out

thank you very much. nice work!

+
# 20Dullahan Apr 2 2010, 00:40 AM
http://img196.imageshack.us/content_round....amp;via=mupload

1374 ... ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)