Empire at War

A required security module can not be activated...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Svett Jan 19 2006, 20:01 PM
When i try to start up the Demo i get this errormessage "A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed."

I've tried redownloading it from another place and i've reinstalled it 4 times now.. As far as i know these problems usually come from CD check isssues (atleast in other games, FEAR for example).

I've got a AMD64 4400+ X2 | 7800 GTX 256mb | 2g ram and 800g HD | Creative X-fi.... Running XP SP2, newest video&sound drivers.

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 2Hierarchy Muk Jan 19 2006, 21:48 PM
Check if your windows firewall is turned off.

It could be that your have no rights to execute the demo file. Are you on a LAN or company network?

Could also be that you're running something like Deamon Tools or Alcohol. Close those programs since they will suggest illegal software.

Game: Universe at War

+
# 3Tiberium Tyrant Jan 25 2006, 22:32 PM
Shut Down Any Emulation Software like Jonathon Said. If that doesn't work then try setting the compatability mode to Windows 2000 if you're running XP.

Clan: Teh Admins

Game: Universe at War

+
# 4damacles Feb 17 2006, 03:28 AM
Try this, it worked for me, so I posted it on the Lucasarts forum to help others:

On XP, go to
Start-Run-Regedit32 then enter

Look under HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE then SOFTWARE then MountedDevices. Right-Click this and choose PERMISSIONS highlight Administrator then look down under the ALLOW section and make sure the first two boxes are checked (Full Control and Read). If not, put checks in those boxes then hit ok.

After I did that, the game runs perfect for me. For some reason it was denying Securom access to verify the cd. Dunno how or why this happened but it's fixed now.

+
# 5^General Feb 17 2006, 03:38 AM
be careful with changing registry stuff, if u get it wrong it can screw stuff up pretty badly from what i understand.

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 6rubenfernande3 Feb 27 2006, 18:12 PM
Hi i had the same problem and i tried to follow your instructions but there is a mistake in one step.

For Xp do this:

start.
run regedt32.exe
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then to SYSTEM (this is the mistake) then to MountedDevices and finally
right click over this directory. Select permisions. Select administrators and finally allow full control and read.

I hope this work for you.

(Sorry for my english tongue.gif ).

+
# 7ndisndinsdijn Feb 8 2007, 01:11 AM
Same problem, only I'm trying to play the game (bought it) not the demo. The thrice darned message "A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed" keeps appearing. Tried to do what has been suggested, but the two boxes were already checked by default. Any ideas?

+
# 8Tekken Master Feb 9 2007, 12:04 PM
Are you using a limited account on WinXP? If you are try running the game from an Administrators account. If the game was installed onto the Admins account then it could of been set up so that it can only run on the Admins account. Hence the security module message.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 9godu Apr 11 2007, 18:37 PM
YOU GUYS OWN SO BAD !

Worked like a charm for me banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif

thnx !!!!

+
# 10Fred Flinstone May 1 2007, 03:44 AM
First post ever in a forum. I hope I am not hijacking the thread here. I am having the same issues as the gentleman who posted here. I have purchased a registered copy of Forces of Corruption (FOC) and am unable to play due to "Emulator detected! Please deactivate virtual drive, and emulation software." When I try the option of regedit and changing the read option on the system it then says something "A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed." I'm not exactly sure what it is I am looking for when it comes to a virtual drives or emulation software etc. I also don't believe I am running any other rip wear. I have nero, Clone DVD etc. but I don't believe any are running in the background without me activating them.

Where does the game register itself in the REGISTRY??? I had initially downloaded a copy of the expansion pack which prevented my legitimate copy of Empire at War (EAW) from working online. I uninstalled it and EAW and it began to work fine online. However I am wondering if the rip of FOC has logged something in registry that I can't find and remove it to allow legitimate one to now work, any suggestions?

I am the administrator, and user under the administrator. I am running windows XP. I don't know what you mean about switching it to run in 2000 mode?

I do use crap cleaner, avast antivirus, spy sweeper, adaware. I've disabled avast, and as far as I know the others only work if I tell them. Windows firewall security is also deactivated.

If I RUN EAW it runs just fine, stand alone or online, but I can't get the new installed LEGAL COPY of Forces of Corruption to work.

Again thanks for the help. If I am posting out of turn please guide my sorry ass in the right direction for chiding. I know that this was pretty much the same problem so it didn't warrant a new post.

Keenly waiting to play the next Star Wars epic battle.

Twinkle Toes

Game: Empire at War

+
# 11Dichromate May 1 2007, 04:23 AM
The problem has never been fixed, and will never be fixed. Petroglyph stopped the patching work a year ago. The problem is caused by the think-it-is-brilliant security barrier created by SecuROM.

+
# 12Fred Flinstone May 1 2007, 13:33 PM
QUOTE(Dichromate @ May 1 2007, 00:23 AM) *

The problem has never been fixed, and will never be fixed. Petroglyph stopped the patching work a year ago. The problem is caused by the think-it-is-brilliant security barrier created by SecuROM.

So basically if you have this problem then, I paid for a game I can never play? numchuks.gif

+
# 13Tekken Master May 1 2007, 16:24 PM
QUOTE(Dichromate @ May 1 2007, 05:23 AM) *

Forces of Corruption is just over 6 months old. Therefor they can't of stopped supporting it a year ago. In the 6 months they have released a balance patch and also about 6 extra map packs. The game is supported, you have to remember they are making UaW as well.

QUOTE(Fred Flinstone @ May 1 2007, 14:33 PM) *

So basically if you have this problem then, I paid for a game I can never play? numchuks.gif

If you've installed a downloaded copy of FoC, after which EaW did not work. But when you removed the downloaded copy of FoC. It could of changed something with EaW which could be preventing FoC working properly. Whenever I have installed something and it fails to work, I remove everything related to it, run anti virus, spy ware remover, defrag my HDD, check the file locations to see if there are any misplaced files. Do a completely clean reinstall. If the problem mentioned previously still exits try what has been suggested by the previous posters. If it still doesn't work, then reply back with the results, but I think its just something that has been left behind by the downloaded version of FoC that has messed something up IMO.

+
# 14Dichromate May 1 2007, 17:26 PM
The last patch for FoC came out some months ago, and I was talking about EaW apparently.

+
# 15Fred Flinstone May 2 2007, 02:24 AM

Yabba Dabba DOOoooooooooooooo

A big thank you to everyone who posts to this site/thread. I worked through most of the stuff here, but I tried Tekken Masters advice, and removed FOC, and EAW, and cleared the registry of all Lucas arts blah blah blah, and FINALLY I am now enjoying corrupting the whole universe. I am still learning the tricks of the boards etc. But anyhow, thanks alot everyone!!!!

Freddie

+
# 16Dichromate May 3 2007, 09:18 AM
Lucky for you. Running Vista here, so things are a lil bit different.

+
# 17Monkey_spank Jun 10 2007, 01:31 AM
QUOTE(rubenfernande3 @ Feb 28 2006, 04:12 AM) *

Hi i had the same problem and i tried to follow your instructions but there is a mistake in one step.

For Xp do this:

start.
run regedt32.exe
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then to SYSTEM (this is the mistake) then to MountedDevices and finally
right click over this directory. Select permisions. Select administrators and finally allow full control and read.
I hope this work for you.
(Sorry for my english tongue.gif ).

Nope didnt work, it was already allowed, and im working in a full admin xp account. Still get the error. Running full version of the game with the latest patch.

This post has been edited by Monkey_spank: Jun 10 2007, 01:37 AM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)