Battle for Middle Earth

School or University as you worldly people like to call it

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1BaLL_ Dec 2 2010, 23:12 PM
is really cutting into my Starcraft 2 time. It's unfortunate, I would love to be spamming games these last few weeks but i'm busy as hell. It sucks.

Just complaining and letting SC2 people know where I'm at..lock down getting shit done.

I will be back to sc2 as soon as possible, probably play this weekend. But for now i'm writing bullshit papers in my theme classes, Environmental horseshit. No it's not my major but at my school we have to pick a theme and i picked the environmental one like a fucktard. Papers filled with bullshit gota love it!

These environment classes have done the opposite and made me give a fuck less.

MONEY OVER EVERYTHING.

Clan: DreaM|DivA

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Sage Dec 9 2010, 06:20 AM
lol nerd.

Clan: EPIC

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 3BaLL_ Dec 11 2010, 21:08 PM
I know Sage-Godlike^ i feel like a nub for posting all that lol.

but yea i had just come to the same realization that i've come to many times before.. money is all that matters in this world.

Not so down now though, studying for finals--1 more week and the semester is over!

How have you been? How's school/life? CMON BELIEVE!

+
# 4Sage Dec 12 2010, 09:28 AM
school and life is great. Your win % on sc2 is good right? I know in wc3 a 60% win was pretty epic. How is that in sc2?

Clan: EPIC

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 5BaLL_ Dec 13 2010, 19:13 PM
yeah it's good, and that's just 1v1. and of course .. i'm raw.
i needa update it though.

+
# 6Zlurodirom Dec 19 2010, 01:28 AM
BaLL you are worthless, how can you be good at SC2 if you are focusing on school? Obviously you do not have your priorities straight.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 7BaLL_ Dec 19 2010, 21:28 PM
obviously you suck cock

+
# 8Zlurodirom Jan 15 2012, 09:46 AM
Obviously not as much as you, playing a newb game like SC2.

PS where did DIVA go, what happened to it??

+
# 9BaLL_ Feb 15 2012, 20:37 PM
Don't hate. I quit sc2 for a while but i'm playing a bit again on and off. Still talk to Phil occasionally but that't it. Idk about anyone else.

How's school, how are you?

+
# 10PeenAttack Mar 3 2012, 07:20 AM
sigh, been watchin LOTR on blueray lately... brings back so many mems. BTW Euro Escalations Wargame...GET IT! FUCKS

+
# 11Zlurodirom Mar 27 2012, 04:38 AM
BaLL, I tried playing some SC2 over the past summer got Gold and that was about it.

I'm finishing up my undergrad degree and figuring out if it's worth going to grad school. Mostly depends on how much of my tuition is waived and how much I'll be in debt when I'm done. Other than that I have no idea what I'm doing. What about you?

Oh yeah and we watched the extended edition LOTR trilogy last December because one of my friends hadn't seen any of them (could not believe it!). It reminded me of the good old days.

+
# 12BaLL_ Mar 30 2012, 04:38 AM
finished school end of December. Job huntin right now while i hold down my current job at The Home Depot lol wink.gif

+
# 13High. Apr 6 2012, 11:28 AM
Been so long I could barely remember my username. Hadn't thought about this place in years but something got me feeling a bit nostalgic. Finishing up masters soon (Zlur, speaking as somebody who has just spent 25k on 2 years of something i will probably never use again - make sure you are really sure before you do grad school) and might start playing a game really infrequently (haven't played anything in like 2 years). Looks like Dota2 might be coming out and i'd probably pick that up if it was easy to learn. Anybody play anything good (anything beyond dota-style controlling one unit is probably too far beyond me now)? Oh to be young again - crazy to think that now even the guys in the clan who were like 14 in bfme days are over 20 now.

Game: Hardware

+
# 14Zlurodirom Apr 9 2012, 22:35 PM
Thanks for the advice High, I'm waiting to see how much financial help I'll get, hopefully I'll know soon... Don't worry I have quite the list of pros and cons, even made a decision tree (I know, I'm super cool). There's a chance I'll have to go Ph.D eventually, so a M.S. is more like a stepping stone to narrow down fields and network.

BaLL yeah I kinda missed the bus applying for summer jobs, hopefully I can find something.

You are right, I was 15 when I started BFME, SO MUCH NOSTALGIA. I'll probably try to play some SC2 again this summer, but I never liked DOTA so probably won't touch that. Maybe I'll buy Diablo 3 if my laptop can handle it, apparently it's kinda cool?

+
# 15FabledIntegral Apr 19 2012, 19:27 PM
To Zlur, I highly recommend applying for jobs NOW if you're having any hesitation. The vast majority of companies will not hire you unless you're still an undergrad. Doesn't matter if you're 3 months out of college, they'll throw your resume in the garbage the moment they see you already have a degree. I remember Deloitte saying something like 93% of their entry level positions last year were from undergrads that had not yet graduated... and I think they hired nationwide 12 people out of 5,500 who applied that had already graduated. I think they said these people were those who had extreme circumstances only, such as extenuating family circumstances, called in for military service, etc. Doesn't matter if you're more qualified, they don't want you.

The vast sentiment I've seen from people going to grad school recently is that it isn't worth it in this economy. If you haven't been applying to jobs already though, you're kinda boned. I started applying in September and just got a decent job less than a month ago, to which I'm moving to San Diego two days after I walk....

Anyways, on a note of SC2, who here actually plays? I was under the assumption no one did. I was top 200/GM for the first two seasons but have dropped down to high masters since.... random player.

FIntegralRH.186 if anyone wants some games.

+
# 16Zlurodirom Jul 14 2012, 21:40 PM
Fabled, well I didn't see this until now. I agree that the job market sucks, but I've actually been turned down more often because I'm heading to grad school (don't want to pick me up for only a few months), than because I have an undergrad degree.

The way I see it, when I'm going to school the next 2 years, I will be getting a better education, experience in the field, and research experience. This helps with continuing education (PhD, if I want to pursue it right away), or finding a job (getting experience in grad school).

Regards to SC2, I played the other day for the first time in a year, I'm gold, so pretty bad, but if I get on again, I'll add you. Though I won't be much of a challenge, lost to a master zerg during placement matches (mirror), and it wasn't even close.

+
# 17FabledIntegral Jul 16 2012, 04:10 AM
Ironically I haven't checked this site since I last made that post, yet you post yesterday.

GL with grad school, although I hope you realize the general sentiment in today's market is that graduate school will not pay off. For the amount of money invested as well as salary lost, most grad students are falling behind to undergrads who gain experience right out of college. Most employers at the moment are picking undergrads with experience in the field over graduate students at the moment, and most graduate students are attempting to compete with undergrads for entry level positions. I know at my work the other trainee who got hired had her masters as well.

So goodluck, but I hope you realize in today's market people are graduating grad school completely jobless, and are generally attempting to get the same jobs the undergrads are getting. There are exceptions in areas such as engineering, and a fresh grad student will have that advantage over a fresh undergrad, generally speaking, but I hope you are ready for the huge monetary investment!

+
# 18Zlurodirom Jul 17 2012, 01:41 AM
Telepathic connection going on here.

I do understand that grad school is a risk. I'm planning on leaving debt free with some experience in a couple fields. While that means I won't make much money the next couple years, I am ok with that AS LONG as I get experience that will help me out of grad school. Also, like I said, I am planning on eventually going for the PhD, and going through grad school now would make me more qualified to gain research positions, which in part would make me a more attractive PhD candidate.

Thanks for the concern, but as of right now I have a kind of stable plan, and at least 2 years mapped out. Many of my fellow '12 graduates haven't been hired in anything relevant to their field/cant even get a part time job. So while they wait a year to finally find a job and get experience, I will be working in grad school, doing research, and hopefully getting ahead. At least that's the plan..

+
# 19D3M0XX Sep 7 2012, 18:18 PM
Strange how time moves on and everyone kind of moves from games to studying and now working. Too bad the market for jobs totally sucks right now. Here in the Netherlands I know more than a few people that finished their education over a year ago and still haven't found a job.

I myself thought a lot about taking a two year master course but ended up not doing it. In my opinion if you want to do it and you have the finances for it (probably even if you don't have them now) you shouldn't let anything get in your way, there is a life of working ahead and studying ain't so bad! You've probably already chosen and after reading the above posts I hope it will all work out.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to playing games for far to many hours a day *sigh*. Helped me not having to do anything for my English classes the last three years of high school now that I think of it. A big thanks to everyone who was here during that time!

+
# 20High. Jan 8 2013, 05:25 AM
So did you end up going to grad school Zlur? What Fabled said seems to be similar to Australia, as in there isn't much point in doing grad school (research) unless you want a research-oriented career (academia/government/industry). That said, in contrast to my last post, I've actually started a PhD, but I'll have a plan B (and C and D) in case I don't get a research job (either through lack of interest or the fact that they are very competitive) and in that case (with a few exceptions) having a PhD might be more of a liability for alot of jobs. However, I think alot of grad students have little in the way of contingency plans (i.e. freak out when they find they aren't being offered jobs or even postdocs right out of grad school because there is a saturation of PhDs in the marketplace) and don't know how to sell themselves (you can make a PhD, even one that is irrelevant to the field of interest, look good on a resume if you focus on the skills it helped you develop - leadership/problem solving/written and oral communication, etc.). If you know what you want to do and can do it without grad school then grad school probably has little utility. What are you guys studying (I'm doing evolutionary genetics)?

Game: Hardware

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)