Company of Heroes

COHO is Dead.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 63_Noun Feb 2 2011, 01:08 AM
Seems I'm all up in this thread already, but just to clarify a few things.

1. CoHO is being closed as of March 31st. Not CoH. I think it was a typo but a few people in this thread said CoH. CoH will continue with its beta as planned.

2. We are not working on DoW:O.

3. CoHO is closing. Shutting down. This isn't some kind of weird trick or marketing ploy where in three months we announce that it's back. This isn't New Coke.

4. Be careful with reading between the lines.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 64InPepsiColaWeTrust Feb 2 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm eager to know how it ends.

Game: None

+
# 65DaRealRocky Feb 2 2011, 01:22 AM
Thx for the info Noun.

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 66`Imrahil Feb 2 2011, 01:30 AM
Sorry for being a noob, but after looking at the COHO website, what is the difference between COHO and COH?

+
# 67DaRealRocky Feb 2 2011, 01:30 AM
QUOTE(ntd @ Feb 2 2011, 03:07 AM) *

Uh...why?

Well basically because those 2 abilities are somewhat OP. When chosen from 1 CP and then spammed in the early game they give the Wehr an advantage that is too big. For the fatherland (very cheap) makes infantry units terminators which can fight off every flank with ease and Assault nades, if they hit they do decent kills now and are actually 1CP prop wars, they are really hard to dodge.

Wehr strategies shouldn't be dependent one 1cp abilities, but waiting to choose a doctrine should be a possibility. However with the Wehr being nerfed, more people are gonna try OP strats like those assault nades and for the fatherland spam (many so called experts already do it).
This also implies that Wehr needs some mid game buffs.

Anyways: drifting off topic.

This post has been edited by DaRealRocky: Feb 2 2011, 01:31 AM

+
# 68Inverse Feb 2 2011, 01:58 AM
I don't understand the crazy optimism regarding the future of vCoH after these announcements. Every single word in the announcement is pseudo-marketing speak. We are being promised nothing, just "support" in the forseeable future. We have no idea if "support" means the servers will stay online, or if it means more frequent patches, or even any patches at all after this one.

The closing of CoHO isn't good for the retail CoH community, plain and simple. Less people playing CoH in any iteration means less incentive for THQ to fund support and improvements, let alone expansions or follow-ups. The people who think CoHO closing equals more people to work on vCoH need to take a step back and think for a moment.

Clan: Reign of Madness

+
# 69Motto Feb 2 2011, 02:05 AM
1. I'll give you credit for being proactive and being up front with everyone, it must frustrate you to be the face of something so good getting destroyed by such incompetence.
2. I would suggest that the next project that Relic will work on is DOW-O as soon as you have finished with DOW Retribution
3. Is there no chance whatsoever an equation could get developed that management wouldn't consider a change of position if it proved to be financially viable for them?
4. I hope that you can read between the lines and pass back a message to management telling them that if they stuff this patch up, it's gg for the COH franchise smile.gif

This post has been edited by Motto: Feb 2 2011, 02:06 AM

+
# 70DaRealRocky Feb 2 2011, 02:17 AM
QUOTE(Inverse @ Feb 2 2011, 03:58 AM) *

The closing of CoHO isn't good for the retail CoH community, plain and simple. Less people playing CoH in any iteration means less incentive for THQ to fund support and improvements, let alone expansions or follow-ups. The people who think CoHO closing equals more people to work on vCoH need to take a step back and think for a moment.

Many COHO players won't be able to miss the game and they'll turn on beta eventually, meaning more players will buy and play retail.

+
# 71Audemed Feb 2 2011, 02:23 AM
QUOTE(DaRealRocky @ Feb 1 2011, 18:17 PM) *

Many COHO players won't be able to miss the game and they'll turn on beta eventually, meaning more players will buy and play retail.

Free != buy, idk why ppl don't understand that. Just because something free has been taken away doesn't mean that they want to pay for a "lesser" version of the same thing. TBH I was loving COHO, no stupid worthless brits to play against, and I couldn't get frustrated by playing PE constantly. Blitz flare? Attrition? Camo? Better balanced than bren-in-bren.

This post has been edited by Audemed: Feb 2 2011, 02:23 AM

+
# 72axte Feb 2 2011, 02:25 AM
I'm a COHO player who just bought COH Gold ed. ($5 was just too good of a deal...). Just finished the the 8GB download and am trolling the forums while it is being installed.

+
# 73FBX Feb 2 2011, 02:29 AM
My theory:

CoH:O was a game they already had developed that doesn't already exist in this market and doesn't directly cannibalize any other game they currently support. They used it as a test bed for things like online transactions and such. They've got what they needed and now are moving their focus elsewhere and will likely use the tools and backend software they developed for CoH:O with a future product.

Just because they used CoH:O doesn't mean the transactions mechanic has anything to do with CoH. Its like doing a science experiment where you need something heavy and you happen to pick your bowling ball because it fits the criteria of what you need.

My question is, did anyone actually buy anything with CoH:O? It seems those would be the people most pissed off.

This post has been edited by FBX: Feb 2 2011, 02:29 AM

+
# 74onawave Feb 2 2011, 02:39 AM
QUOTE(axte @ Feb 2 2011, 12:25 PM) *

I'm a COHO player who just bought COH Gold ed. ($5 was just too good of a deal...). Just finished the the 8GB download and am trolling the forums while it is being installed.

welcome aboard!

i never really got into coho. compared to a lot of others around here, i would really have been playing vcoh that long either - but i can tell you i enjoy vcoh a lot more.

oh and btw: dont be put off by all the people having a debate about patching and what not. its still a great game... smile.gif

+
# 75Inverse Feb 2 2011, 02:57 AM

What's your point? Sure, more people will play retail. But when you're selling the game for $5, THQ isn't making much money off that. CoH never made much money, and it isn't a licensed IP. So long as the franchise is controlled by THQ, it will never be given proper treatment.

Clan: Reign of Madness

+
# 76lbg Feb 2 2011, 03:01 AM
Plug getting pulled on CoHO is no suprise. I couldn't see anyone spending money on that, and apparently there wasn't. Now maybe that can stop wasting their time and manpower on a failed experiment.

I would like to see a CoH2 announced after the new DoW2 exp. I know people want to cling to their retail CoH to the last, but frankly the best way to balance the Brits and PE at this point is to totally start over. Maybe US can get a more interesting unit roster this time too.

This post has been edited by lbg: Feb 2 2011, 03:03 AM

Game: League of Legends

+
# 77ntd Feb 2 2011, 03:34 AM

There won't be a beta when COHO goes offline, the patch should be released well before 3/31/11.

Clan: ArX

+
# 78Vayze Feb 2 2011, 03:43 AM
Were people actually buying things in the COHO beta with real money? Or was that disabled because it was the testing phase?

+
# 79DrJason Feb 2 2011, 03:46 AM
wow full of surprise whole thread damn...had to read since start...

This post has been edited by GRjason: Feb 2 2011, 03:58 AM

+
# 80positive_4_life Feb 2 2011, 04:01 AM
QUOTE(Motto @ Feb 2 2011, 00:16 AM) *

Exactly, they have known about this for a while and I'd bet my left nut that the team has been moved from COH-O to creating DOW-O. All they are doing is placating the core vCOH community with a final patch and an empty promise that it's not the end of COH.

This is just another clear demonstration of incompetence and the community seeming to buy the bullshit.

Let's get something clear, the COH-O concept could have been fantastic but was neglected exactly the same as vCOH was and got the exact same result which was the community dying because it was so unbalanced.

Let's call it how it was, why would anyone buy COH Cash for COH-O, there is almost no benefit for doing so. All they needed is one person there with a grasp of what makes vCOH so good and pushed the same core fun concepts onto COHO and it could have been a huge success. After the success of vCOH and before OF, they decided to try and make COH different and completely forgot what actually makes COH fun, its mind numbingly naive.

Two things I think highlight Relic. They have had a vet 2 penetration for the crocodile since the beginning, this could have been fixed in 1 second but its still the same after almost 5 years. They have had no-one like Kolaris actually look at the values, it was the same in COH-O. they just created broad heroes like skilled and didn't put any thought into it.

Lastly, if you are going to leave COH with one last thing, please fix the cooldown bug once and for all. It nearly killed COH when you introduced it with TOV and the bastardised fix that we currently have isn't good enough.

Imagine a COH-O with Kolaris being able to balance it, personally, I would find that more fun than COH because it has more strats, more diversity. If you could compare the two games with both being balanced by kolaris, I'm certain that COH-O would be the better game.

What a shame, Relic Shame on you.

You know nothing. But thanks for playing.

+
# 81Audemed Feb 2 2011, 04:08 AM
QUOTE(positive_4_life @ Feb 1 2011, 20:01 PM) *

You know nothing. But thanks for playing.

Clueless? Yep.

+
# 82DrJason Feb 2 2011, 04:25 AM
Oh great!
I was really hoping that COHO should end. I uninstalled after playing 1 hour.
Anyway well not try to be mean but if Relic will try to get back RelicRank site that would be really great. Like COHO, they had leaderboard which shows skill ranking with points also. So it is that hard to maintain RelicRank site for 3 games they release till yet...?
It will certainly make positive affect for players and good publicity also to buy coh games version.
Personally i feel retail coh would have moved a lot ahead if Relic would supported it rather wasting time in COHO crap according to GR community by providing patches and features like that...

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)