Explore GameReplays...

Heroes of Newerth

#619 - Xin Minicup Finals - [Lion] vs [Fire] (BO3)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Treisk Feb 23 2011, 12:21 PM
YouTube links are UP, son!

Hello, internet! Today we bring you [Lion] vs [Fire], a best-of-3 series capping off the Xin Gaming Minicup Finals, which took place yesterday evening. Enjoy and leave your comments below!

Cast by Nova_ and Nuraun
Camera by Treisk

Game #1

Don't Forget to Wub the replay if you like the game!

Game #2

Game #3

This post has been edited by Treisk: Feb 23 2011, 17:15 PM

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 2Nuraun Feb 23 2011, 13:06 PM
AMG, someone spelled my name right!!:)

You guys are in for a world of laughter, this was so fun biggrin.gif

Game: Dota 2

+
# 3Oreb Feb 23 2011, 13:20 PM
I'm already stoked about all the heroes that are generally unplayed in tournaments. biggrin.gif

Game: Hardware

+
# 4syllable Feb 23 2011, 15:47 PM
I already love FIRE for picking these unconventional heroes.

+
# 5Simco Feb 23 2011, 18:08 PM
If you like the heroes, wait until you see the items.

+
# 6smock Feb 23 2011, 18:41 PM
Spoiler
hotbl 2 stronk

+
# 7Totin123 Feb 23 2011, 20:23 PM
Just wanted to thank u guys for the videos, really liked the cast.
Hope u guys had fun.
See ya around.

+
# 8chappY Feb 23 2011, 21:10 PM
Massive wall of text regarding Fire in game 1
Spoiler

Overall just a failure by FIRE to react to the enemy line up. They went in there with a lineup in mind and virtually ignored the enemy picks, picked Jeraziah too early (he should only be a last pick hero), allowing lion to pick heroes good vs Jeraziah in Electrician to directly counter/semi carry and Zephyr who carries well vs Jeraziah's ultimate.

Zephyr is also not immensely affected by CD's corrupted conduit seeing as his damage is nearly all aoe passive magic damage, so a smart pick up by Lion.

Ideally, the first two picks should have been andro and soulstealer as those picks can fit in any lineup and give away nothing. The next two FIRE picks, seeing that lion already had 3 non-carry intelligence hero's, could have safely gone tempest and CD without much fear of a vindicator pickup, and even with a vindi pick up in lion's 4/5 picks that would render nearly their entire team very squishy and prove to be a difficult game for reasons other than a tempest ultimate.

Had Jeraziah been saved for the 5th pick, we'd have most likely seen different 4/5 picks from Lion and could further evaluate whether Jere either 1) already countered by the lion picks and 2) if Jere is good (counters) their enemy lineup to the degree that merits picking him up.

IF lion were to theoretically keep the same 5 heroes in either scenario and FIRE was on their 5th pick, there are better heroes that come to mind in this scenario, with Jere obviously being out due to electrician countering and the general lack of right click damage from lion.

I feel that Accursed would be perfect for this lineup vs their lineup. He could easily fit in lane as Jere did with much the same role.

He contributes more to offense as well, being able to nuke from range and aoe with shield. More importantly, sear synergizes great with CD as it grants attack and move speed which, combined with conduit, makes for a massive dps gain, not to mention a slow which would be perfect vs a carry like Zephyr who is forced to do most damage at melee range.

Defensively, his shield still breaks grip, and more importantly, there's the prospect of ZERO downtime between shields, meaning you can keep someone shielded at all times by hero level 3 (spell level 2). That is impossible for Jere and in fact, AT BEST, there is a 6 second period with no protective charm, and that's ignoring the obvious problem of Elec ulting the shield to begin with. Accursed could shield someone, which lasts 15 seconds, and 9 seconds later he can re-shield, meaning you can potentially re-shield someone who get's fire shield purged off by elec. He also fits perfectly into the team fight strategy, sitting out front and baiting damage and initiation. Normally, since his ult was nerfed into requiring him to activate it, this would be a bad formation as he could get disabled/silenced enough by Elec/Myrm/Bubbs and die without contributing at all. However, with Andro in the lineup, he can be saved by both a stun or a swap, further opening up methods of initiation and increasing their effectiveness during team fights, which we lacked.

Tempest would still go Shrunken Head as he did this game, before that he would obviously wait for the right time. After that he is literally unstoppable after shrunken with nothing (being casted after it's activation) going through it.

That's not even the only option imo as Empath would have been acceptable here as well. Clearly some MASSIVE synergy between CD and Empath, providing monster bonus to attack damage and speed, heals, blocks and of course move speed boosts, all of which synergize perfectly with CD.

Better lineup aside, the game was still winnable as is.

There was poor choices surrounding multiple moments such as the timing of protective charm by using it prematurely and allowing it to get purged, lack of blink initiations from tempest even when shielded, a pretty blatant fail use of Meteor by tempest which lets electrician escape, careless SS deaths, the use of heal to attempt a last hit instead of saving an ally, etc. Overall I think that CD and Andro played good games, and I am being 100% honest here.

Personally, and as a team, we needed to place more focus on making life tough for the bird on bottom. I needed to start counterwarding our jungle sooner, that's my biggest error in this game. The first of many Kongor kills by Lion could have been at least confronted if we would have gone as 5 to the bottom ward spot at 19:53(game time) when I scout up the hill with the courier but someone sends it back after it's revealed a couple heroes and we do nothing about it, just relinquish any form of map control. Frustrating.

Generally a lack of leadership and communication are the main problems as well. They use some utter shit program (Axom) instead of Vent where push to talk doesn't function in it so you have to listen to Tony's mic repeating everything that is said but twice as loud, freaking annoying.

Best thing about Fire however is their willingness to try stuff that's new to HoN, but even that has inherent problems since that, at least in this series, causes players to play heroes they don't have a lot of experience on, which is obviously a bad trade off.

Anyhow, they're a new team still with plenty of room to improve so the only place to go is up as far as I'm concerned.

This post has been edited by chapy: Feb 23 2011, 21:12 PM

Game: None

+
# 9Ironmaiden4 Feb 23 2011, 21:49 PM
Might wanna take it easy on the spec chat

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 10Bob Loblaw Feb 24 2011, 19:55 PM
Lion whining about ghosting again, before bug abusing to kill kongor, real classy.

Game: Demigod

+
# 11Freudian Trip Feb 24 2011, 22:51 PM
Lawlz the ghosting thing was a troll.

+
# 12Really Feb 25 2011, 12:32 PM
Quality is very bad and EXTREMELY dark...

+
# 13yhellothar Feb 25 2011, 14:19 PM
Game 2, Fire copied NWO's lineup and item choice from their game with LGD.sGty here.

Only remember that because it was pretty unique.

This post has been edited by yhellothar: Feb 25 2011, 14:20 PM

+
# 14_enright Feb 26 2011, 00:31 AM
I hate to be that guy, but I gotta be that guy right now.

Having a _nova cast with some random GR pub is awkward as hell. I know that the other commentator was doing his best, but his play analysis and play by play was just terribly uninformed. The facepalm from Nova was definitely apparent as he was chuckling after some of the comments. Why can't we have Nova cast with other competitive players, if Smock/Smack is doing camerawork, why can't he be there to cast as well?

+
# 15NoVa_ Feb 26 2011, 03:54 AM
Although I know that you want to be constructive, I have to disagree.

I never facepalmed, the chuckles came from the overall relaxed atmosphere during the casts. I enjoy casting with anyone that doesn't act like an idiot and this hasn't happened with GR yet. As for the competitive insight: I make atleast one mistake per cast myself and although I try to get rid of it (as others do) being uninformed now and then hasn't destroyed casts yet. I felt Nuran did a good job.

(Casting with two competitive players could be interesting but at the same time potentially very boring, don't you think?)
(Smock)

You can respond here or write me a PM.

+
# 1612azor Feb 26 2011, 12:05 PM
I thought he was pretty terrible but so long as Nova is happy and keeps casting I couldn't care less. Fanboy out.

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 17_enright Feb 26 2011, 17:56 PM
The main issue I have with some of the GR commentators is that they don't seem to realize that they hold a special role in the community as an unofficial 'guide'. As someone with no DotA experience, I remember when I first picked up HoN and was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of base knowledge required to play the game at even a low level (item builds, hero abilities, last hit, map awareness etc...).

For new players, it's a natural assumption that commentators have a natural level of credibility. In HoN terms, credibility would stem from an advanced understanding of a game: why teams draft the way they do, how gameplay changes from early to mid to late game, item choices based on team/enemy heroes etc. In watching a lot of replays, I find that the amount of game knowledge of GR pub commentators is that expected of mid 1600 psr players.

If Gamereplays goal is to provide commentary that is both educational (in terms of HoN) and aids develop game knowledge, it seems counterproductive to enlist commentators who simply do not have the base to provide relevant discussion.

Nuraun, I'm sorry this came up in your VoD and I hope this isn't coming off as a personal attack. It's GR's seeming willingness to let anyone and everyone post commentaries and throw a GR tag on it that I have a issue with.

This post has been edited by _enright: Feb 26 2011, 19:06 PM

+
# 18Nuraun Feb 26 2011, 19:06 PM
<3 The hate smile.gif
I know i'm not a good strategist in that sense, and i was sick.
I don't want to make any excuses, since you guys are entitled to your own opinion.
Usually i would do better, and i always try to get better smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nuraun: Feb 26 2011, 19:47 PM

Game: Dota 2

+
# 19bolenart Feb 27 2011, 00:27 AM
Ah man, I had to make an account just for this. Laughed my ass of after the 2nd game, freaking hilarious. Got to love nova aswell, and I enjoy the other caster too. I find it kind of irrelevant wether his insight into the game is great or not, since nova offers enough of it, and this other guy is nice to listen to. Good enough for me.

Anyways, watch the replays if you haven't already.

+
# 20Brutality_ Feb 28 2011, 08:42 AM
I just finished watching the entire XIN footage, qtrs and semis and final. I have to say it was the first entire tournament of VODs if watched but it was fantastic, and it got me addicted to watching one or two a nigt before I go to bed.

In terms of the commmentating, Nova rocks and really knows his stuff. Furthermore, he is able to elagantly convey the information rapidly with little transitioning time. Kind of like the micro machines guy back in the day just not thats fast =). The other announcer nourana was good i thought. He may not have the best knowledge but he said some very intuitive things as supported Nova well. I would love to cast a match and I would hate to think someone would bust ballz just cuz they arent a master.

You think Al Michaels was a badass football player?

Keep up the good work GR!!

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)